Author Topic: Register of Marriage Neilston  (Read 484 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Register of Marriage Neilston
« Reply #9 on: Friday 24 June 22 18:47 BST (UK) »
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 25 June 22 03:05 BST (UK) »
If I am reading everything regarding Reuben Brotherton correctly, then he was married 3 times:

1. To Jenny Hargreaves 27/10/1810 Padiham, Lancahire (at least 5 children, one being the Caroline who's with him in Scotland 1851)
2. Mary Phillips 1827 Deane
3. Ann Whiteford 1847 Neilston

That being so, he appears to be one of those who got younger as he aged!   Death puts bc.1808, 1851 ca.1811, 1841 states bc.1796, and I therefore think he's almost certainly the Reuben baptised in Stockport 1790 but his father was a James, not John.  I note no mother stated on baptism but residence given as Ratten Clough which is in Lancashire.

I also note that there was a Francis Brotherton, said to be born circa 1806 Pendleton or Sabden, Lancashire (can't find a baptism) who when he married his second wife in 1838 stated his father was a James Brotherton, mason - this occupation tallying with the occupation of Reuben's father on his death certificate.  (Since the information was given by his widow Ann (3rd wife) she may well have the information wrong). Said Francis had a son he named Reuben!

I think part of the problem here is that the family appear to be non-conformist and relevant baptisms are missing (or at least, not online at the tiime in question).

Both Reuben (per baptism) and Francis appear to be sons of James Brotherton, a mason.

Annette

Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Pendlewitch67

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 25 June 22 03:54 BST (UK) »
If I am reading everything regarding Reuben Brotherton correctly, then he was married 3 times:

1. To Jenny Hargreaves 27/10/1810 Padiham, Lancahire (at least 5 children, one being the Caroline who's with him in Scotland 1851)
2. Mary Phillips 1827 Deane
3. Ann Whiteford 1847 Neilston

That being so, he appears to be one of those who got younger as he aged!   Death puts bc.1808, 1851 ca.1811, 1841 states bc.1796, and I therefore think he's almost certainly the Reuben baptised in Stockport 1790 but his father was a James, not John.  I note no mother stated on baptism but residence given as Ratten Clough which is in Lancashire.

I also note that there was a Francis Brotherton, said to be born circa 1806 Pendleton or Sabden, Lancashire (can't find a baptism) who when he married his second wife in 1838 stated his father was a James Brotherton, mason - this occupation tallying with the occupation of Reuben's father on his death certificate.  (Since the information was given by his widow Ann (3rd wife) she may well have the information wrong). Said Francis had a son he named Reuben!

I think part of the problem here is that the family appear to be non-conformist and relevant baptisms are missing (or at least, not online at the tiime in question).

Both Reuben (per baptism) and Francis appear to be sons of James Brotherton, a mason.

Annette

Hi Annette

Yes, all correct. Having found all the same information I am of the opinion that, going off Reuben's 1790 baptism, James is in fact his father and not John  as recorded on his death certificate as notified by his third wife, Anne.

I have followed the family from Sabden to Horwich and Manchester all the way up to Scotland. I can find no John Brotherton and Jane Lightfoot, his alledged parents, but believe either Anne was misinformed or for some reason Reuben fibbed about his parents. He had previously broken a work contract by signing up with another print works when  he was already in the employ of a Horwich firm and threatened with prison so on the death of his wife in 1846 I think he may have absconded upto Scotland with his children where upon he met Anne.

Reuben's father is named as John a mason. James, I believe did have a brother, John, but as I mentioned I can find no record of a marriage to a Jane Lightfoot, a Jane Lightfoot in the area or any other children. I am relying on church records, as you mention, and the family were non- conformists. I have found records for most of James and Margaret's children so firmly believe Reuben is their son. Another son being Francis whose son he also named Reuben, a recurring name within the family.

I am just struggling to make another recorded definitive connection between Reuben and James as the marriages of Reuben don't record his father's name.

Reuben was married just over ten years to Anne so I wonder just how much Anne actually knew about him.

This could all, of course, just be wishful thinking apart from the baptism clearly stating James as the father. Ratten Clough is close to Sabden where James and his family lived. Reuben's baptism was performed not in Stockport but by travelling ministers from Stockport.

The only other explanation is that Reuben was the son of James's brother who could have married outside of the Lancashire area, Yorkshire being quite close, and then for some reason James had Reuben baptised as his own but Reuben was aware of his true parentage. John and Jane could have gone elsewhere leaving Reuben behind in Sabden where he grew up and married his first wife in close by Padiham. I have no other information on John apart from his baptism. All information of which I gave found on Lancashire genealogy websites and local library.

It's all in the detail and I'm missing that all important father of the groom detail.

Kind  regards Amanda.
Salkeld - Alston, Grassington, Earby, Burnley
Brotherton - Burnley, Barnoldswick
Layfield - Burnley
Child - Bradford
Payne - Poulton Le Fylde, Burnley, Brierfield
Harris - Castle Bytham, Nelson, Barrowford
Sage - Boxted, Langham, West Riding, Lancashire
Hastie - Lanarkshire
Gillon - Lanarkshire