Author Topic: Marriage record- Thomasin FURSDEN 1853  (Read 1232 times)

Offline Kieran15

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Marriage record- Thomasin FURSDEN 1853
« on: Saturday 25 June 22 12:56 BST (UK) »
I have just purchased the marriage certificate of Thomasin Fursden and John Sanders. 05.06.1853, parish church, Stoke Damerel. The certificate gives the fathers' names as James Sanders and James Fursden. From looking at the census records before the marriage the only match shows Thomasin with father listed as Thomas. Is anyone able to see a marriage record showing her father's name as I'm suspecting the name on the marriage certificate is wrong.

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage record- Thomasin FURSDEN 1853
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 25 June 22 13:23 BST (UK) »
Hi
Had a look at the church copy and both fathers are James .
Witness Thomas Fursden
It may be the Vicar filled in the details latter and got it wrong passing the incorret entry on to the Registrar and the Church register.
I have an Ancester Henry Rix whose father on his marriage certificate and at the Churh is given as Henry. He had an uncle Henry and was called Henry himself but Dad was William who by the time he married was dead for some years.
It is a very unusual name so I'm with you

Ciderdrinker

Offline Kieran15

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 25 June 22 13:29 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the reply. The witness being Thomas fits with the brother Thomas shown on the census records. It's the first marriage certificate I've seen in my family with the wrong father's name but it makes it more likely due to the groom's father being James.

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 25 June 22 13:35 BST (UK) »
Looks like a double wedding. Thomas Fursdon (23) was married to Rosina Dwyer at the same church on the same day, same page in the register. John Sanders was a witness. Thomas' father's name also recorded as James Fursdon. Rosina's father John is the possible Dwyer witness to Thomasin's marriage.

https://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=GBPRS%2FPLY%2F004634237%2F00224&parentid=GBPRS%2FM%2F35059376%2F2

All four give their address as 6 Chapel Street.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 25 June 22 13:56 BST (UK) »
James Fursdon's occupation on the cert is "Farmer". Thomas Fursdon's occupation switches between "Farmer" and " Ag lab/Labourer" on various censuses and baptisms eg. on Thomasin's baptism he is " Labourer"; on Philip's baptism he is "Farmer".