Author Topic: Archibald Kennedy and (Mary) Jane Farrell  (Read 1730 times)

Offline fyremoon

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Archibald Kennedy and (Mary) Jane Farrell
« on: Monday 27 June 22 14:53 BST (UK) »
Hi All,

I'm looking for more information about my 3xGGrandparents Archibald Kennedy and Jane (aka Mary Jane) Farrell.

I have a transcript of their marriage on 11 Dec 1866 at St Gregory's, Queanbeyan, NSW.

Neither party has Father, Mother, Place of Birth, Age or Father's occupation listed in the transcript, unfortunately.

James Farrell gives his consent for Jane as she is under 21 at the time, so I estimate her birth year to be somewhere between 1845-1850. James is listed as a Wood-carter, and Jane's usual residence is Wagga Wagga. It's not stated that he's her father, but I imagine he probably is, or could he be an older brother, uncle, or cousin?

Archibald's residence is Bungendore and he's a labourer (later listed in another record as a 'Hawker').

They go on to have at least 12 children, some of whom die as infants and another at age 12 :-(

I came across some newspaper entries where Archibald is wanted by the police for deserting his wife Jane, and then later a notice of divorce by Jane.

Their daughter Ellen Kennedy b. c1875 is my GGGrandmother, who dies young, in 1902, miscarrying her second child. She is married to Thomas Wade b. c1875 (about whom I know next to nothing also. I will post separately for him.)

Any information on the origins of Archibald and Jane - their parents, birthplaces, siblings etc. - would be much appreciated!

Kind regards :)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Archibald Kennedy and (Mary) Jane Farrell
« Reply #1 on: Monday 27 June 22 15:09 BST (UK) »
There are 8 births in various parts of Scotland between 1840 & 1845 for an Archibald Kennedy - he may have emigrated to Australia

With so little info it's difficult to say.  Have you considered DNA?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline fyremoon

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 27 June 22 15:14 BST (UK) »
There are 8 births in various parts of Scotland between 1840 & 1845 for an Archibald Kennedy - he may have emigrated to Australia

With so little info it's difficult to say.  Have you considered DNA?

Hm, he may have and yes I agree, it's very difficult to say! I'm hoping someone who may also be connected to these families may know more, or someone with access to more records can shed some light.

I have considered DNA... perhaps when funds allow I'll go down that road.
I expect to find I'm very much English, Irish, Scottish and Welsh, but who knows what surprises there may be in the mix!

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 27 June 22 15:23 BST (UK) »
Have you checked whether anybody has a tree on Ancestry for this family
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 27 June 22 15:27 BST (UK) »
Just checked - yes there is one & it has him b Antrim Ireland 1842 father John mother Elizabeth nee Laverty

He died 20.12.1903 Narrabri NSW

Tree has a ship manifest showing the Kennedy family arriving NSW 28.4.1855??

Offline fyremoon

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 27 June 22 15:59 BST (UK) »
Just checked - yes there is one & it has him b Antrim Ireland 1842 father John mother Elizabeth nee Laverty

He died 20.12.1903 Narrabri NSW

Thanks Carole! Yes I saw that there are a couple of trees on Ancestry with him and Jane Farrell, however I don't have full access at the moment and was going to see if I could look them up at the library when next I go.

There was another Archibald J(oseph?) Kennedy around Mudgee and Narrabri, who's not my ancestor, and the above could be him instead...

However, I think you're right! All the other bits seem to line up, now that I've looked at John and Elizabeth's gravestone in Bungendore... right next to it, is a memorial I knew about for MY Archibald and Mary Jane's deceased infants/child.

On that memorial plaque, is also mention of a Thomas and Elizabeth's deceased 15 year old son Archibald b.1854 d.1869.
On my Archibald and Jane's marriage transcript, the witness is a Thomas Kennedy, and I had thought perhaps a brother.

I don't know what Archibald is then doing all the way out at Narrabri at the time of his death, but the find-a-grave site lists him, Thomas, a James and a Margaret as all children from John and Elizabeth from County Antrim, Ireland!

Thank you very much for your help!

Offline fyremoon

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 27 June 22 16:10 BST (UK) »

I don't know what Archibald is then doing all the way out at Narrabri at the time of his death, but the find-a-grave site lists him, Thomas, a James and a Margaret as all children from John and Elizabeth from County Antrim, Ireland!

Now I understand - his sister Margaret and her husband William Fitzgerald live at Narrabri and are also buried there. It's starting to fit together. Thanks again.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 27 June 22 16:11 BST (UK) »
You are welcome😄

Offline fyremoon

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 27 June 22 16:23 BST (UK) »
Now to find out about Jane Farrell...