Author Topic: Thomas Wade b. c1875  (Read 2250 times)

Offline fyremoon

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Thomas Wade b. c1875
« on: Monday 27 June 22 15:04 BST (UK) »
Hello Rootschatters :)

I am seeking any information about my GG Grandfather Thomas Wade b around 1875/76.

He married Ellen Kennedy on 22 Feb 1896 in Sydney according to their daughter's birth certificate, but I can't find a record of the marriage.

They have one daughter, Olive Veronica Wade, in April 1897, in Balmain South, Sydney. Her certificate states Thomas and Ellen are both 21, Thomas is listed as a dealer and his birthplace as Sydney, but I don't have a birth record for him.

There is a Henry Thomas Wade born in 1875 to Henry and Sarah Ann in Waterloo, Sydney, but I have no idea if this is him. There's a Thomas James Wade also born in 1875, to Thomas and Ellen, but that's in Gulgong, nowhere near Sydney.

Ellen dies in 1902, miscarrying their second child, and I don't know what becomes of Thomas.

I'm not exactly sure what happens to Olive either, although family says she's brought up by her grandparents. That could be her mother's mother Jane Kennedy, or it could be Thomas's mother/parents, whoever they are.

**Edited to add Olive later marries Robert G M Waller and has 3 sons (sorry to aghadowey for the confusion!), but I don't know anything about her father, and only a little about her mother's family (about whom I've asked another post).**

Any information on Thomas Wade would be much appreciated!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Wade b. c1875
« Reply #1 on: Monday 27 June 22 15:13 BST (UK) »
Could this be Olive's marriage?
10659/1921 WALLER ROBERT G MCK, to WADE OLIVE V, GLEBE
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline fyremoon

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 27 June 22 15:16 BST (UK) »
Could this be Olive's marriage?
10659/1921 WALLER ROBERT G MCK, to WADE OLIVE V, GLEBE

Yep, that's Olive's marriage. They have 3 sons, one of whom was my grandfather. I've been able to find a bit of info about the Wallers, but nothing on Olive's father, Thomas Wade.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 27 June 22 15:17 BST (UK) »
You said "I'm not exactly sure what happens to Olive either, although family says she's brought up by her grandparents. That could be her mother's mother Jane Kennedy, or it could be Thomas's mother/parents, whoever they are." so I didn't realise you already have the marriage  :-\
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline fyremoon

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 27 June 22 15:21 BST (UK) »
You said "I'm not exactly sure what happens to Olive either, although family says she's brought up by her grandparents. That could be her mother's mother Jane Kennedy, or it could be Thomas's mother/parents, whoever they are." so I didn't realise you already have the marriage  :-\

Ah yes, sorry, I can see how that might be misleading.
I should've said I'm not sure what happens between when her mother dies and she later marries. My apologies for the confusion. I've edited my original post.

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 27 June 22 23:47 BST (UK) »
NSW BDM birth

10180/1897   WADE Olive    parents  Thomas / Ellen    @ Balmain South

Can you please list all the information on this certificate. It would be useful to see any addresses, name of informant, date of registration....etc...everything please.

Ancestry Anglican Parishes Registers Sydney
https://www.ancestry.com.au/search/collections/61177/

St John Bishopthorpe Glebe

WALLER Robert George McKay   assistant engineer   residence Glebe Point
bachelor   born Manly  age 19y 
parents  Robert Alexander WALLER, wharf labourer, Lily Marion McKAY

WADE Olive Veronica                     residence Sydney
born Balmain   age 24y
parents Thomas WADE, labourer,  Ellen KENNEDY   

Witnesses  Lily M WALLER    Fannie WILLMOTT
All parties sign, permission of father, Robert Alexander WALLER is recorded.   

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 28 June 22 00:10 BST (UK) »
NSW Police Gazette and Weekly Record of Crime  11 Jan 1905
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/251629689?

Sydney.—A warrant has been issued by the Central Police Bench for the arrest of Thomas WADE, charged with leaving his child, Olive WADE, without means of support, He is about 30 years of age, 5 feet 7 inches high, fair complexion, fair hair,and small fair moustache. Dressed in dark sac suit and black soft hat.

Offline fyremoon

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 28 June 22 01:42 BST (UK) »
NSW BDM birth

10180/1897   WADE Olive    parents  Thomas / Ellen    @ Balmain South

Can you please list all the information on this certificate. It would be useful to see any addresses, name of informant, date of registration....etc...everything please.

Yes, certainly!
Name - Olive Wade
Sex of Child - female
Date of Birth - 22 Apr 189
Place - Princess St Balmain Municipality, Balmain South, NSW

Father - Thomas Wade
Occupation - Dealer
Birthplace - Sydney NSW
Age - 21

Date of Marriage - 22 Feb 1896
Place of Marriage - Sydney NSW

Mother - Ellen Kennedy
Birthplace - Bungendore NSW
Age - 21

No previous issue.

Informant - Signed Ellen Wade, Mother, Princess Street, Balmain South
Present at Birth - Mrs Davis*
Registered - 19 May 1897 Balmain South.

* Mrs Davis - this hadn't previously meant anything to me, but apparently Ellen's mother Jane, divorced her (Ellen's) father Archibald Kennedy and remarried a William Davis which is discussed in my other post https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=863485.0 so this is most likely her mother, present. Wonderful!

Ancestry Anglican Parishes Registers Sydney
https://www.ancestry.com.au/search/collections/61177/

St John Bishopthorpe Glebe

WALLER Robert George McKay   assistant engineer   residence Glebe Point
bachelor   born Manly  age 19y 
parents  Robert Alexander WALLER, wharf labourer, Lily Marion McKAY

WADE Olive Veronica                     residence Sydney
born Balmain   age 24y
parents Thomas WADE, labourer,  Ellen KENNEDY   

Witnesses  Lily M WALLER    Fannie WILLMOTT
All parties sign, permission of father, Robert Alexander WALLER is recorded.

Thank you for this also! I don't have a copy of Olive and Robert GM Waller's marriage, though I knew about it. I wonder who Fannie Willmott is, she might be worth looking into for possible connections - much appreciated!

(Robert became a musician and established a restaurant and nightclub in Sydney I'm told, so I will look further into that as well... apparently he wasn't around a lot for Olive and the boys, but I'm also told it was amicable and he was respected.)

Offline fyremoon

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 28 June 22 01:50 BST (UK) »
NSW Police Gazette and Weekly Record of Crime  11 Jan 1905
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/251629689?

Sydney.—A warrant has been issued by the Central Police Bench for the arrest of Thomas WADE, charged with leaving his child, Olive WADE, without means of support, He is about 30 years of age, 5 feet 7 inches high, fair complexion, fair hair,and small fair moustache. Dressed in dark sac suit and black soft hat.

Oh no! Thomas! The family story is that he was grief stricken when his wife died miscarrying their second child in October 1902.
Olive ended up with grandparents apparently, and I've been researching both her parents families... but I was just told this morning that she apparently went to HIS parents to be raised after he went off the rails.

So here she would be not quite 8 years old. I wonder if she was already in the care of his parents and they, or police, were trying to hold Thomas accountable, or if she was in fact left alone as a 7 year old to fend for herself for a while... poor thing.

Thank you for the information!