Author Topic: Thomas Wade b. c1875  (Read 2248 times)

Offline fyremoon

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Wade b. c1875
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 28 June 22 06:45 BST (UK) »
Yes, Mary Ann / Jane Wade married Purcell. She was your Thomas Wade's sister.

This her birth (same parents as the birth for Henry Thomas that I posted)
WADE  MARY J
2877/1877
HENRY    SARAH A    SYDNEY

Yes, this would make it more likely that these are my Thomas's parents, since Purcells are then present as niece/nephew at my Thomas's funeral in 1929.

I think it's less likely that my Thomas is the one who's assaulting young women in Surry Hills in 1901 whilst still married to Ellen in Annandale... I think that's another Thomas who lives at 33 Ann St, has the illegitimate child with Annie Griffiths in 1914, dies in 1922 still at 33 Ann St at age 51 (making him b. 1871, likely the son of Thomas and Mary in Redfern). He may yet be a cousin to my Thomas, as suspected by the assault victim's father...

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 28 June 22 06:50 BST (UK) »
Born as Henry Thomas WADE?
WADE HENRY THOMAS
5638/1875  (26 Oct 1875)
HENRY
SARAH ANN
WATERLOO
And a second record …..
WADE HENRY THOMAS
1894/1880
HENRY
SARAH ANN
SYDNEY

Hmm, what's with the two Henry Thomases born within 5 years? It seems by those dates it would've been the second one b. 1880 who's grave it is, if he was 49 at death in 1929... but that is also the same year of the funeral notice that includes Mr & Mrs Waller, which would indicate that's the correct Thomas Wade...  ???
[/quote]

There were two sons given that name (same parents). One was born 10 May 1880 and died 12 July 1880.
DEATH rego
WADE  HENRY 1211/1880
HENRY    SARAH A       SYDNEY

My guess, is the first child named Henry Thomas WADE was by then going by the name Thomas, so this second child was named Henry.
So your Henry Thomas Wade is the one born in Oct 1875.

Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline fyremoon

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 28 June 22 06:55 BST (UK) »
Born as Henry Thomas WADE?
WADE HENRY THOMAS
5638/1875  (26 Oct 1875)
HENRY
SARAH ANN
WATERLOO
And a second record …..
WADE HENRY THOMAS
1894/1880
HENRY
SARAH ANN
SYDNEY

Hmm, what's with the two Henry Thomases born within 5 years? It seems by those dates it would've been the second one b. 1880 who's grave it is, if he was 49 at death in 1929... but that is also the same year of the funeral notice that includes Mr & Mrs Waller, which would indicate that's the correct Thomas Wade...  ???

There were two sons given that name (same parents). One was born 10 May 1880 and died 12 July 1880.
DEATH rego
WADE  HENRY 1211/1880
HENRY    SARAH A       SYDNEY

My guess, is the first child named Henry Thomas WADE was by then going by the name Thomas, so this second child was named Henry.
So your Henry Thomas Wade is the one born in Oct 1875.
[/quote]

Thank you, yes I just came across second Henry's death in 1880... I know it wasn't uncommon for people to go by their second or other middle names, so your guess makes a lot of sense.

If they're Thomas's parents, I'm still looking for any info that Henry and Sarah Ann raised Thomas's daughter Olive...

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 28 June 22 07:04 BST (UK) »
I'm still looking for any info that Henry and Sarah Ann raised Thomas's daughter Olive...
Olive's mother died in 1902 (when Olive was about 5). Her father was in and out of prison, or on the drink, so it would make sense for the grand parents to step in a look after Olive.
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 28 June 22 07:17 BST (UK) »

I think this death certificate would be useful for your research.

Daughter Olive is nearby when he dies, and might know some piece of information to add to the document, and the circumstances of his death....location, cause of death etc.

255/1929  WADE Thomas   49 yrs      @   Sydney

Offline fyremoon

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 28 June 22 07:19 BST (UK) »
I'm still looking for any info that Henry and Sarah Ann raised Thomas's daughter Olive...
Olive's mother died in 1902 (when Olive was about 5). Her father was in and out of prison, or on the drink, so it would make sense for the grand parents to step in a look after Olive.

Yes, we've always been told that she was raised by her grandparents after her father was "grief-stricken" but trying to work out who they are started with him... I'm still not entirely sure he was the criminal with the record since 1888 - which would make him about 13 - or whether that was the 'other' Thomas Henry from Ann St in Surry Hills. The only thing for sure so far is the 1905 warrant for his arrest for neglecting his daughter Olive.

At this point it seems likely that Henry and Sarah Ann are the ones, I just have to look into where they were, what they did, the Purcell connection might give further clues...

Thank you very much for your help!

Offline fyremoon

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 28 June 22 07:21 BST (UK) »

I think this death certificate would be useful for your research.

Daughter Olive is nearby when he dies, and might know some piece of information to add to the document, and the circumstances of his death....location, cause of death etc.

255/1929  WADE Thomas   49 yrs      @   Sydney

You know, I was thinking that myself - "I wonder if his death certificate says anything useful about his parents", so that'll be next... the dates don't quite add up, with him being born in around 1875 rather than 1880... she should be about 53/54 at his death... but the informant might shed more light on that.

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 28 June 22 08:05 BST (UK) »

Yes, this would make it more likely that these are my Thomas's parents, since Purcells are then present as niece/nephew at my Thomas's funeral in 1929.

I think it's less likely that my Thomas is the one who's assaulting young women in Surry Hills in 1901 whilst still married to Ellen in Annandale... I think that's another Thomas who lives at 33 Ann St, has the illegitimate child with Annie Griffiths in 1914, dies in 1922 still at 33 Ann St at age 51 (making him b. 1871, likely the son of Thomas and Mary in Redfern). He may yet be a cousin to my Thomas, as suspected by the assault victim's father...

A little additional information and confirmation of your thinking.
In the will of Thomas WADE of 33 Ann Street Surry Hills  probate granted to Alice Wade spinster and Sarah DAVIS
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/225018905

He was a single man 1922
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/245791692

Lots of family relevant names at the funeral of Thomas WADE in 1922
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/245774183

Thomas sister died WADE HANASTASIA
15543/1951
THOMAS HENRY
MARY HAROLD
SYDNEY

Alice WADE was his other unmarried sister

When Peter PURCELL enlisted in WW1 he gave as next of kin a friend named Alice WADE who lived at 33 Ann St Surry Hills. He was a widower born c. 1880??

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 28 June 22 08:07 BST (UK) »

NAA WW1 enlistment file

PURCELL Peter : Service Number - 73655 : Place of Birth - Sydney NSW : Place of Enlistment - Sydney NSW : Next of Kin - (Friend) WADE Alice

37y 2m at enlistment May 1917, widower, carter, NOK friend Alice WADE, 33 Ann  St Surrey Hills

address  24 Mackey St Surrey Hills   at May 1917    (page 9 of 19)