Author Topic: KELLY, FOX, Westmeath, Longford 1800-1860. MAHER/MAHON/MEAGHER/MANN/MALONE  (Read 965 times)

Offline If the shoe fits

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hi
A FEW mysteries!!

my great great grandparents were John Kelly and Anna Fox. They arrived in Australia in January 1862 on the Lincelles to Western Australia.  John was known as John 'Pale' Kelly???
I have attached a photo of John and Anna but it is poor quality and when they are older, but may help someone recognise something.

John Kelly was born c 1835 apparently baptised in Templepatrick Moyvore Westmeath.
I cannot find any record.  I have calculated his birth month to be around September - his Attestation papers for the Crimea War state he was 18 6/12months so calculating the date means he was born around September 1835 (depending on the actual birth date. they were signed in Mullingar 1854

His parents are Michael Kelly - apparently from Ardagh - no age, date or record yet.
Family history passed John's mums name down as Catherine Mahon. No record
Catherine I believe IS mums name, but the surname I believe is WRONG, I don't believe it is Mahon because with the hundreds of descendants, noone can find a record of her, so I am wondering IF her name was similar sounding.  Open to suggestions.  No more info on her.

Michael and Catherine Kelly had 2 children in Ireland - John c1835 and Aliese (Alice/Anna???) maybe 1836/1838.  Apparently Aliese was baptised in Forgney Longford.  I don't know what happened to her but rumour is she married and moved to Canada (on a social media genealogy group I found descendants)

That is IT, no more info, but.... no more babies, so I believe Michael was 'gone' before 1840.  I HAVE found a Michael that I believe could be him in Australia, he remarried and had more children. So not naive in thinking he moved on.   IF other peoples research is correct, it MAY be Michael William Kelly born 6 June 1806 Longford BUT I am not convinced because I believe THIS Michael was transported to Australia BEFORE John's birth (or conception), so Aliese wouldn't exist either.

There are almost NO DEFINITES on records except John Kelly's Crimea War paperwork.  He signed the paperwork at Mullingar, returned injured and his first pension district was Athlone.  So we are hanging around Longford.  This was 1856.

In the newspaper clipping of Johns death, it states he was  a man from Longford which does tie in with what I know so far.

So looking for John's baptism, and his parents please.

FOX

He married Anna Fox - I can't find any record of her whatsoever, the family passed down the believe Bernard and Rose were her parents, I am not convinced yet. 

Anna Fox married John c1857 and possibly in Longford.  They had 2 sons before moving to Western Australia. John was pensioned from the Crimea War and arrived on the Lincelles January 1862  - pension, job and land allotment.
Frances Kelly (male)  15 Apr 1858 possibly Longford
John Kelly 14 Jan 1860 Longford

Their children – followed naming patterns.

Francis – Not sure – John’s grandfather or Annas dad?
John – after John
Anna Maria – after Anna.  Anna Maria – COULD Anna be Maria/Maryanna?
Alicia – Johns sister?
Michael – Johns dad
Catherine - Johns Mum
Esther – Not sure?

FOX
Can’t find the Fox family.
John and Anna’s first 2 sons were born in Longford. I feel confident that is where Anna is from. But don’t know where Johns mum and sister are.

Major Barry Fox COULD be a possibility but only learnt his name yesterday.  Social media hasn’t helped much, NO responses to any Fox question – guessing they were not popular – political or inhumane. I want to know my ancestors - the good and the bad, it is part of history and family history.

Having the belief Anna's father was Bernard - there was a bernard in Westmeath but would have been the same age as her so impossible to be her father.  Could still be related.  But could it be Barry (maybe short for Bernard – Major Barry Fox)

Sorry for the BOOK

Basically if ANYONE can please help find JOhn's birth/baptism (open to John being a different version of John like Owen Joannum etc
his parents - Michael and Catherine ARE names of their children too, so the names continued in our family as tradition.
his wife
her family
and a definite location I will be forever grateful, I have been researching years and finding nothing - I need a set of fresh eyes and someone elses perspective to help me pass this roadblock.

FAMILY GOSSIP
Rumour was passed down - through ALL of John's children and grandchildren that John sent a telegram to Ned Kelly's family when he was Hanged.

Michael (John's dad), we were told he was arrested around 1840 and transported to Australia (Tasmania) for stealing an animal.  We were told he was some type of merchant with ties to Dublin - we dismissed this BECAUSE of the distance between Longford and Dublin, it seemed too far in the 1800s.  We wondered if Michael lived in Dublin and sent money to his wife Catherine and the children, but in 1840ish he was arrested and transported (more likely scenario).
We were told the Kellys owned  the pub next to the Courthouse - we believe this could be in Dublin - Michael may not have owned the pub but it in the Kelly family, he worked there. 

Any help appreciated and happy to support others with research too.

Thank you all xxxxx

Adeline

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: KELLY, FOX, WESTMEATH, LONGFORD 1800-1860. MAHER/MAHON/MEAGHER/MANN/MALONE
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 28 June 22 07:36 BST (UK) »
Some thoughts
1 John 'Pale' Kelly may have been to distinguish him from a John Kelly who was darker complexioned and from the same area/same age. He certainly looks, from the photograph,  to have the bright but pale blue eyes that some Irish have. Incidentally, I feel sure I have seen that photograph before.  Has it been restored on the Rootschat Photo restoration board?

2 'No more babies' it could have been that something happened to his wife, and Michael Kelly did not remarry ie he remained a widower. Often widowers married quickly after the death of a spouse as working plus bringing up children was difficult.  Perhaps Catherine was the step mother. 

3 when searching for relatives from Athlone Co Roscommon I was advised to search for records in Co Westmeath as well.  The same advice may apply the other way and that there may be records in Co Roscommon. 

4 have the military papers got details of his parents ie names etc? 

5 you have spelt Aliese in a special way.  Where has this spelling come from? 

ETA
6 where has the information about John Kelly being baptised at Moyvore come from? 

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 28 June 22 08:01 BST (UK) »

...when searching for relatives from Athlone Co Roscommon I was advised to search for records in Co Westmeath as well

Indeed, shanreagh !

The town of Athlone mostly in Co Westmeath but with a smaller portion in Co Roscommon - the river Shannon cuts through it. A small portion of Westmeath on the west bank.

https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/4181301#map=14/53.4238/-7.9424

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 28 June 22 08:56 BST (UK) »
I think it would be a good idea to map out the different places you have mentioned
Moyvore
Athlone
Mullingar
Forgney
Ardagh

It may be significant that if John Kelly was the firstborn that he may have been taken to the mother's parish to be baptised or the mother may have gone back to her mother to give birth and the baby was baptised there. 

Forgney may be closer to where they lived

Re the pub next to the courthouse.....is there a similar set-up in any of the County towns you have mentioned or Athlone etc. 
The daughter Aliese may hav

Offline Lisajb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 31 July 22 17:11 BST (UK) »
My husband's family were Meagher/Maher from Mullingar, but I couldn't see Meagher/Maher in your opening post.
Mullingar, Westmeath Ireland: Gilligan/Wall/Meagher/Maher/Gray/O'Hara/Corroon (various spellings)
Bristol: Woodman/James/Derrick
Bristol/Somerset: Saunders/Wilmot
Gloucestershire:Woodman/Mathews/Tandy/Stinchcombe/Marten/Thompson
Wiltshire: Mathews
Carmarthen: Thomas, Lewis
Australia: Mary Lewis, transportee, married Henry Brown - what happened to her?

Offline Ada Zeeks

• RootsChat Extra
  • Digging up my ancestors....
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 16 September 23 05:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Shanreagh, thank you for the advice.  I have mapped them out and seem to be making slow progress which is nice.  I have decided to focus searches on specific townlands and regions and just collect all the family info... even if they aren't mine. 

I have searched each family and agree the first son should be born in the mothers parish, so have looked intensely for the surname, not just the one person, because I realised that the name they were known by is not necessarily their baptism name.  I guess families lived together, so they would have needed to distinguish which 'John' or 'Catherine' they were speaking to, or speaking about.

I have also started to collaborate with an unrelated Fox descendant... which has been great. If they aren't mine, they may be hers kind of attitude. :)
IRELAND....
KELLY... plus Hamilton, McCormack, Dwyer, Condon, Flynn, Mahon, Keane, Quinn, Fox, Farrell, Lynch,  Moore, Hartigan, Martin....  Dwyer, Condon, Walsh, Curtin, Ryan.....
COUNTIES - Longford, Westmeath, Roscommon, Clare, Kerry, Limerick, Tipperary and Cork... and probably more

ENGLAND
Johnson, Berryman, Garland, Caudwell, Sloss, Timsbury , Boddy, Dwyer, Kelly, Condon....

Convicts to Australia
Settlers and pioneers to Australia
Military History

Offline Ada Zeeks

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 16 September 23 06:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Shanreagh... sorry I forgot what your comment said in full, so needed to go back and check..

1 John 'Pale' Kelly may have been to distinguish him from a John Kelly who was darker complexioned and from the same area/same age. He certainly looks, from the photograph,  to have the bright but pale blue eyes that some Irish have. Incidentally, I feel sure I have seen that photograph before.  Has it been restored on the Rootschat Photo restoration board?

Yes absolutely right, he does have a 'fresh' complexion and blue eyes according to his service records for the Crimea War.

2 'No more babies' it could have been that something happened to his wife, and Michael Kelly did not remarry ie he remained a widower. Often widowers married quickly after the death of a spouse as working plus bringing up children was difficult.  Perhaps Catherine was the step mother.

I can't actually find Michael or Catherine.... so will have to explore more.  Catherine and Michael are written as his parents on John's death certificate, and I have a feeling the families of Fox and Kelly knew each other for a long time, living in the same area.  I am thinking its possible the father may have been military too, then went overseas for service, which would leave a wife at home with the two children.  Also possible he was a convict. 

3 when searching for relatives from Athlone Co Roscommon I was advised to search for records in Co Westmeath as well.  The same advice may apply the other way and that there may be records in Co Roscommon.

Thank you, I have broadened my searches and included Galway, Roscommon and even Kings County... some of the names are popping up in registers further from Longford, but the locations of their 'dwelling' is showing as still being close to Athlone townland. Because we are talking about 1800... there were no cars, so the family would use their closest church, but if a baptism was going to include the bigger family, it may have happened in a church a little further from home, between the baby's home and grandparents who lived a little further away... because there were no cars. There would be family along the way between them anyway.

4 have the military papers got details of his parents ie names etc?
No, unfortunately not, the military papers were 1854, they have his name, approx age, which differs on the military papers, so we know its not correct... he can't be born on multiple days.   There IS something about the military papers that I am 'confused' by.... the townland written on the original paper has been changed, I can see there are a few letters in the middle of the name of the townland which were altered... which makes me wonder if I am searching in the wrong place. The original location (changed to Moyvore) looks like Myvane.   

5 you have spelt Aliese in a special way.  Where has this spelling come from?

I have wondered too, I have NO documentation or record which shows her name, so I am unsure if its a descendant back in the 1800s who has recorded it like that, because they are unsure of the actual spelling.  I think her name must be Alicia, possibly even Esther, based on John and Anna's children, but Alicia is the right position in the family to be the oldest sister of John.  I will have to broaden my search for her too, with bigger name variants.

ETA
6 where has the information about John Kelly being baptised at Moyvore come from?
This came from his Crimea War paperwork, but we know there are errors on it, like his age.   I also wonder, if John's parents were not around, and John living with an uncle or grandparents etc (unsure of his family situation)... then he wouldn't know his location for baptism, his family may have made a mistake with the location too.  I have decided to explore a wider region for his baptism.
IRELAND....
KELLY... plus Hamilton, McCormack, Dwyer, Condon, Flynn, Mahon, Keane, Quinn, Fox, Farrell, Lynch,  Moore, Hartigan, Martin....  Dwyer, Condon, Walsh, Curtin, Ryan.....
COUNTIES - Longford, Westmeath, Roscommon, Clare, Kerry, Limerick, Tipperary and Cork... and probably more

ENGLAND
Johnson, Berryman, Garland, Caudwell, Sloss, Timsbury , Boddy, Dwyer, Kelly, Condon....

Convicts to Australia
Military History

Offline Ada Zeeks

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 16 September 23 06:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Lisa
intrigued by your family names in the footer of your profile.  Are yours in NSW and Victoria?  I have friends with several of those names in their tree.

Feel free to send me an email or private message, if you are on Facebook, it would be great to connect on there, I don't always see the replies here. 
IRELAND....

ENGLAND

Convicts to Australia
Military History