Author Topic: Software for new laptop  (Read 683 times)

Offline Nettie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • You can choose your friends but not your relations
    • View Profile
Software for new laptop
« on: Tuesday 28 June 22 07:12 BST (UK) »
Hello all,

Many years ago I had FTM and was happy with it until I had to change laptops and the backup failed and I had to start again...twice (I do accept the problem was most likely me not the program). My laptops are workplace issued and changed every 3-4 years, so I didn't bother anymore about the software and worked on my Ancestry tree online.  Soon, I will be purchasing my own laptop and want to have my tree, sources, and files accessible offline too. The laptop will be Windows 11.

I thought FTM was the way to go but then find it is being discontinued by Ancestry. So, my question is which software is best for Windows 11 system, that syncs with Ancestry (including sources, photos, records) and that is suited to mainly Irish, English, and Australian records?

Thanks for your time.
Researching: Cronin / Nolan - Gortadrislig, Kerry
Finn/Clifford - Callinafercy and Scort, Kerry
Spillane - Milltown
Also:- Byrne / Tyrrell - Dublin

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Software for new laptop
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 28 June 22 09:48 BST (UK) »
Family Historian is a UK company so good for UK records:
https://www.family-historian.co.uk/

Quite a few rootschatters use it. I have an early version of it on my PC, but seldom use it or a PC these days.

I chose it specifically for the features and the fact that it was a UK programme. I found it very good, but slightly complex, but I’m a bit lazy about trying to master these things.

I think most who use it are happy with it.  :)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 28 June 22 09:59 BST (UK) »
I've used FH for about 15 years and would recommend it. iI is compatible with Ancestry trees (via gedcoms)., although I'm not sure about photos.

I'm still on Win10 but would think that there is no problem running on Win11.

https://www.family-historian.co.uk/

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Nettie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 28 June 22 10:10 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Ruskie and Gadget, I'll look at them both.
Spillane - Milltown

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 28 June 22 10:14 BST (UK) »
I think that Ruskie and I are recommending the same program, Nettie.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Nettie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 28 June 22 10:33 BST (UK) »
I did notice that...after I posted.  ::)   oops
Spillane - Milltown

Offline Biggles50

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 28 June 22 10:44 BST (UK) »
I have three Family Tree apps.

Family Historian

Reunion (iMac)

Roots Magic 8

Each has their own pros & cons but of the three it is Roots Magic I use the most.

Syncs with Ancestry both ways, it has error checking features like duplicates, dates that do not tally, unlinked people and broken branches etc.

A couple of plus points about RM is that the main software includes a mobile version which you can put on a USB memory stick and there is a free limited functionality version in Essential.

That said it is well worth trying each piece of software that has a free trial version or 30 limitation.  You should be able to load a Gedcom into each.

Offline McGroger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Convicts, Commoners and Outlaws
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 28 June 22 10:46 BST (UK) »
Nettie, if you're happy with FTM there is no need to change to a different program. Ancestry did discontinue making FTM about 5 or 6 years ago but in the process it was picked up by a company called MacKiev that was already producing the Apple version of FTM. They have an arrangement with Ancestry to enable you to sync your FTM tree with your online Ancestry tree. I think you would need to buy a new version of FTM to be able to do this. Only one other desktop program, Rootsmagic, has an arrangement with Ancestry to fully sync online and desktop trees.

I'm not personally a frequent user of FTM so it might be worth visiting their site to check out what I'm saying and for other queries you might have.

I think if you want to have both online and desktop versions, a program that fully syncs is the best way to go. I have had much (bad) experience with moving data via GEDCOM between different programs. GEDCOM is a wonderful concept and should be good in practice, but not one of the programs is 100% GEDCOM compliant, so any time you move a tree from one program to another you will lose some data. If you are even a little technically-minded there is an excellent series of articles on this subject here: https://genealogytools.com/the-family-tree-software-alternatives-series/

Peter
Convicts: COSIER (1791); LEADBEATER (1791); SINGLETON (& PARKINSON) (1792); STROUD (1793); BARNES (aka SYDNEY) (1800); DAVIS (1804); CLARK (1806); TYLER (1810); COWEN (1818); ADAMS[ON] (1821); SMITH (1827); WHYBURN (1827); HARBORNE (1828).
Commoners: DOUGAN (1844); FORD (1849); JOHNSTON (1850); BEATTIE (& LONG) (1856); BRICKLEY (1883).
Outlaws: MCGREGOR (1883) & ass. clans, Glasgow, Glenquaich, Glenalmond and Glengyle.

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 28 June 22 10:58 BST (UK) »
Another vote for Family Historian - you can sign up for a 7 day trial before buying. There is also a Family Historian User Group (FHUG) with amazingly helpful contributors - much like RootsChat 😀
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....