Author Topic: Siblings of my Great Grandfather Wright or Steeden  (Read 581 times)

Offline ISLINGTON1884

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Siblings of my Great Grandfather Wright or Steeden
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 19 July 22 14:07 BST (UK) »
Jorose you were right about the list of girls that went into service the surname is Steeden that  you can see and then crossed out.
That said their Mother Ellen wright never married William Steeden although on the 1881 census they are all called Steeden and even registered the children under the name Steeden.However other records thoughout Josephs life and his sister Ada they called themselves Wright. Joseph called himself Wright and Ada was known as Wright on Josephs service record  as next of kin this was in 1901 so he must have had contact with one of his sisters.
I have no Idea where Emma went or where Ada was before or after this though did they marry or even worse like poor Minnie.
Thank you once again

Online jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 21 July 22 10:34 BST (UK) »
On Joseph's service record was there a address given for his sister Ada Wright?

Because the name Wright is so common and domestic servants were often mobile it might be hard to find them. They could have emigrated, they might have used different names, and they might have only had vague knowledge of their own origins.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ISLINGTON1884

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 21 July 22 20:16 BST (UK) »
Josephs record states that his sister was his next of kin of the record.

Ada Wright was living at 3 Beechcroft road Upper Tooting London.This was then crossed out and his Aunt Ann Bradshaw (married name) and single name was Ann Steeden and she is Josephs  Fathers sister and Josephs Father is called William Steeden.

He must have known who Ada was as he named her on service record.
I have looked for ages for both Ada and Emma or Emma could have been called Florence.

On the 1881 census
William Steeden age 27 Head of household
Ellen Steeden  age 24   Wife although no marriage record can be found.
Florence E Steeden age 6
Ada A E Steeden age 2
Ellen Steeden age 20 Sister of William Steeden

Ellen Steeden wife of William when her children are placed in the workhouse her Mother states she lived with but never married William and he deserted them before or after the children were placed into care I have no idea.
Hope this helps.
Once again thank you so much