Author Topic: Youth Hostel 1956  (Read 1806 times)

Offline billnkempsey

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Youth Hostel 1956
« on: Thursday 30 June 22 03:24 BST (UK) »
Attempting to follow my mother's trip around Ireland, I can track most of her movements from her YHA card stamps. This one has me baffled completely.
Does anyone know this stamp? Or, can they decipher what the name is at the top?

My best guess on the route suggests that the YH before this was Mountshannon and the one after Ball Hill.
Odendal
Hillebrand
Broom/Broome
Harding
McLusky/McCluskey/McCloskey
Morrison
Howells
Jenkins
David

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
Re: Youth Hostel 1956
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 30 June 22 10:25 BST (UK) »

What does the text say above and to the right of the stamp?
It's hard to make out the word above the stamp...begins with S ?

Maybe contact An Óige to see if they can help.
https://anoige.ie/who-we-are/contact-us/

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline Marcello

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 30 June 22 15:26 BST (UK) »
Could the letter that looks like 'S' be an old G, and the placename be Gaillimh or Galway, even though the 'h' is not there? It would be a likely stop-off after Mountshannon, Co. Clare too.

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 30 June 22 15:54 BST (UK) »
Good shout, Marcello !

Definitely looks like Gaillim.

And the motif is correct for Galway (Gaillimh)

https://www.heraldry-wiki.com/heraldrywiki/wiki/Galway

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 30 June 22 16:43 BST (UK) »

Well done, Marcello!  :D

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline billnkempsey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 30 June 22 22:15 BST (UK) »
Good work, people! I, too, like the Galway idea and am checking with An Oige to see if they can confirm that. (Now that I have a specific question.)
Galway would make sense in terms of the trip as well. If not, then there doesn't seem to be enough of the coast on her tour. She was born and grew up hundreds of km from the coast and always loved the sea later in life.
Odendal
Hillebrand
Broom/Broome
Harding
Morrison
Howells
Jenkins
David

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 09 July 22 04:23 BST (UK) »
Could the letter that looks like 'S' be an old G, and the placename be Gaillimh or Galway, even though the 'h' is not there? It would be a likely stop-off after Mountshannon, Co. Clare too.

Well, of course there is no 'h' there (as such), as in the Gaelic script a dot would be used over the preceding 'm' to represent the letter.
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline billnkempsey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 20 August 22 23:01 BST (UK) »
Update! Contacted An Oige but none of the (self-confessed young) staff could help and further checks online suggest that none of the older staff would have helped either. I've uncovered an old map of mine of YHs in Ireland in 1982 and then found a much older one online from the 1940s(?). There was no An Oige hostel in Galway city in 1956, I suspect. The closest were Lettermullen in the 40s and Indrebhan in the 80s.
They must have stayed at an independent hostel or other accomodation in Galway. Knowing my mum, she would have demanded a stamp (from someone!).
So this stamp is certainly not an An Oige stamp and I suspect that we might never know where it is from. Except that it is clearly from someone in Galway.
Odendal
Hillebrand
Broom/Broome
Harding
Morrison
Howells
Jenkins
David

Offline dublin1850

• RootsChat Veteran
  • A great lover of Dublin history
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 20 August 22 23:38 BST (UK) »
From a newspaper report  about an An Óige publicity meeting in 1956,  they had 'two new hostels' - one at Clybawn, on Taylor's Hill, which while not city centre, is in Galway city, the other at Salrock, Killary Harbour.

From another newspaper, the Clybaun hostel opened June 2nd 1956.
Coffey, Cummins [Rathfalla, Tipperary], Cummins [Skirke, Laois], Curran, Dillon [Clare], Fogarty [Garran, Laois/Tipp], Hughes, Keshan (Keeshan), Loughman [Harristown and Killadooley, Laois], Mallon [Armagh], Malone, Markham [Caherkine, Clare], McKeon(e) [Sligo/Kilkenny/Waterford], McNamara, Meagher, Prescott [Kilkenny/Waterford/Wexford?], Rafferty, Ryan, Sullivan, Tobin
GEDMatch: T665306 tested with Family Tree DNA and also with ancestry
GEDCOM file: 1980344