Author Topic: Found! George Garratt - Bristol, Somerset, England - 1830  (Read 1086 times)

Offline dgarratt

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Found! George Garratt - Bristol, Somerset, England - 1830
« on: Friday 01 July 22 00:24 BST (UK) »
Hi all! I'm looking for more info on my 3rd great grandpa George Garratt! The info I have is that he was born in Bristol, Somerset around 1830 and got married to Margaret Thomas in Wales. They then immigrated and settled in Baltimore Maryland! I'd love to know about his parents, siblings, etc.

Thank you!

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: George Garratt - Bristol, Somerset, England - 1900
« Reply #1 on: Friday 01 July 22 03:02 BST (UK) »
Date wrong - trees on Ancestry show he was born 1830 Bristol, and died in Baltimore 1900.

No marriage in UK between a George Garratt (or Garrett) and a Margaret Thomas.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 01 July 22 04:27 BST (UK) »
3rd great grandpa George Garratt! The info I have is that he was born in Bristol, Somerset around 1900 and got married to Margaret Thomas in Wales. They then immigrated and settled in Baltimore Maryland!
Can you tell us where you got the info. you have as it's vague?

Have you worked back from yourself with documentation to clarify names, at least approx. dates & places?

Maybe post some previous generation, verified info. to help us work back.

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline dgarratt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 01 July 22 04:58 BST (UK) »
Yes so here's the generational lineage:

Danielle Garratt (me, January 23rd 1996) --> George P Garratt 3rd (my dad, April 4th 1953) and Janice Larue Hock --> George P Garratt Jr (Grandpa, October 4th 1915) Virginia May Miller --> George P Garratt Sr (April 1st 1951) and Ruth C Leipold --> David Garratt (June 7th 1863) and Mary E Phillips--> George Garratt (1830) and Margaret Leipold (Llanelli, Carmarthenshire, Wales).

That's as far as I've gotten back... I believe they got married in Wales, but it's like George Garratt never existed past his Obituary Post... it said he was born in Bristol and just before he passed away at 70 he went back to meet a sister he hadn't seen in 50 years. I found that Margaret's parents could be Phillip Thomas and Margaret Thomas, but nothing before that...

I'm working on my tree in Ancestry.com so that's maybe where you guys are looking. I can also post the link to my tree on here as well!

my tree: https://www.ancestry.com/family-tree/tree/119156977/family?cfpid=430176912879

Online mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: George Garratt - Bristol, Somerset, England - 1830
« Reply #5 on: Friday 01 July 22 05:10 BST (UK) »
On the same page as them on the 1860 census are other Thomas’s from Wales. Have you looked at those families? (Jolly difficult in Wales, every one has the same few names!)

Are you just accepting the Ancestry hint that that particular Margaret is yours? 

Offline dgarratt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 01 July 22 05:20 BST (UK) »
Yes, I looked over the hints and the paper cuttings from other people that have them in their family tree. I'm not able to pay to see everything in the hints, so I'm just using what I can see. In the 1870 US federal Census it said that there was a George Garratt married to Margaret Garratt with the same birthday... do you think it might be a different Margaret?

Online mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 01 July 22 05:46 BST (UK) »
There will be many Margaret Thomas’s born in the period.  I don’t think you can rely on that hint at all.

Things to consider
- given the fact we can see no likely marriage in England or Wales, that George and Margaret married in the US. Looking at that 1860 census there are a bunch of copper smelters all from Wales including lots of Thomases. So I would be thinking that Margaret was likely of one of those families.

- Also, in the 1860 census she says she is 31 and George 29, which widens the range for possible year of birth.  Newspaper cutting for her death says in 69th year, which = b abt 1828 which fits with the 1860.

- in 1860 their eldest child is 5, born Maryland.

- Are there documents regarding the arrival of those Welsh Copper smelters in Maryland records?

Also..how do you know Margaret’s surname is Thomas? Marriage of one of the children?

Online mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 01 July 22 05:50 BST (UK) »
Might be something useful in this document

https://www.rootschat.com/links/01rnu/