Author Topic: Findagrave swamped with inaccurate entries?  (Read 2206 times)

Offline Ssxy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Findagrave swamped with inaccurate entries?
« on: Friday 01 July 22 19:43 BST (UK) »
Is it just me  - but I am finding that Ancestry links through to FindaGrave are oftentimes coming up with entries that do not relate to photographed headstones?

Seems to me some folk are at best harvesting Family History Society transcripts or at worst projecting their own, possibly flawed research.

In the spirit of the  apparent wishes of the FAG website I have over the years contributed photos and data, but on several occasions when I have contacted authors for clarification or challenge an entry I have often been convinced they don't actually know anything about the entry I am talking about. Some have refused to change their entry when I have produced documentary evidence  challenging what they have put.

Such a pity that such a useful website appears now to have lowered the bar in regard to the source of submissions.

Rant over.

Ssxy.

Offline Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Findagrave swamped with inaccurate entries?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 01 July 22 20:02 BST (UK) »
Is this the group that plan to have mapped all England's graveyards and put the details online?
Austin/Austen - Sussex & London
Bond - Berkshire & London
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Nevitt - Cheshire & Staffordshire
Wray - Yorkshire

Offline Crumblie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 01 July 22 20:13 BST (UK) »
I challenged an entry on FAG just a few days ago and the entry was removed just 2 days later. It should have been obvious to whomever put it on because the age on the headstone was over 20 years out from the age of the person it was supposed to be.

Online Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 01 July 22 20:21 BST (UK) »
I sent information to correct an entry on F-a-G and got a very quick and friendly response.  The information was almost immediately updated on the F-a-G site.
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Offline bevj

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Robert Paterson 1866-1909
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 01 July 22 20:38 BST (UK) »
I have also had cause to correct a few entries on FindaGrave.
They have always been prompt and courteous in my experience.
Bev
Weedon - Hertfordshire and W. Australia
Herbertson, Congalton, Paterson - Scotland
Reed, Elmer - Hunts.
Branson - Bucks. and Birmingham
Warren, Ball, Jones - Birmingham
Fuller, Bourne, Sheepwash - Kent
Brittain - Beds. and W. Australia

Offline Blue70

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 02 July 22 00:04 BST (UK) »
This is a really dodgy site I had a bad experience with them a few years ago. One of their contributors took a lot of content from one of my websites without permission and when challenged denied they'd done it so not only were they a thief but they were a liar too! The problem with this was it wasn't just burial details it was bio information for people which is subject to change and may not be suitable for a general family history site. So if you've written about reports of domestic violence you don't want that coming up on a general site.

Blue 

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 02 July 22 11:17 BST (UK) »
To some people it seems that Find A Grave is just another online competition. This can have devastating consequences, as Judy Russell mentions with reference to the Uvalde school shootings in her Legal Genealogist blog:

https://www.legalgenealogist.com/2022/05/31/ancestry-this-ones-on-you/

(Find A Grave is owned by Ancestry, hence the title of the article.)
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline martin hooper

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 02 July 22 11:40 BST (UK) »
I stopped using FAG a long time ago because there didn't seem to be any citations to support the entries. Sounds as if its got worse.

Martin

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 02 July 22 11:48 BST (UK) »
I've noticed that the entries I'd looked at recently as "hints" for a tree were cribbed from other sources, such as Lan-OPC, but with the detail removed. There are no photos (because there are no headstones), but not as much detail as in the burial registers.

What annoys me more about FaG is their insistence on using place names which didn't exist when events occurred. With many local government reorganisations, some of them no longer exist, except on FaG.

This is of course not confined to one website. Wikipedia, for example, insist that George Washington was born in the United States of America.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.