Author Topic: Duthie family, Tarves Parish  (Read 266 times)

Offline GordonFindlay

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Duthie family, Tarves Parish
« on: Sunday 03 July 22 08:10 BST (UK) »
And for a nice vague question ....

I'm looking for information about the Duthie family of Tarves. I can get BMD and census information for them, but they were obviously both community-minded and hard working.

William Duthie appears in newspapers throughout the first half of the 20th century running the Tarves Parish Council, Tarves Literary Society and lots else. Adam Duthie's name is still attached to a firm of accountants located on Duthie Road, although it seems the firm itself no longer exists.

Which Duthie is Duthie Rd named for?
When did that happen?
Are there detailed obituaries of any of he family?
etc.

I'm really looking at the social history of the area, rather than simple dates and names genealogy. Any and all leads gratefully received!
Findlay - Aberdeen, Angus
Shepherd - Angus
Cargill, Swankie, Spink  - Angus
Melvin - Aberdeen
Coull - Angus, Aberdeen
Strachan - Kincardine, Aberdeen
Steven, Steen. Stein, Dunsmore, Burt, Prentice, Maxwell, Montgomery  - Lanark

Offline doddsie4

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Duthie family, Tarves Parish
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 03 July 22 13:31 BST (UK) »
          There is information about the school, which I thought was interesting.     It gives short notes on a timeline for the school.   

If you google:  "Notes From Tarves School Log Book, 1873 - 1966" it tells you of how many children were absent with Chicken Pox, Measles, etc.      Amazing how much illness there was in those days!

There is also a book: Tarves Lang Syne, The Story of a Scottish Parish, by William A Porter.
On the list that comes up after the google, if you select Abe Books.co,uk they are offering this book for £4 . 50.

Offline GordonFindlay

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Duthie family, Tarves Parish
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 03 July 22 22:19 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that.

The school log book is very interesting reading. Things like "Attendance this week has been lowered by a number of boys being engaged to gather stones for the roads by a contractor" and the number of holidays for religious reasons is astonishing.

I have "Tarves Lang Syne" and another book: "A Short History of Tarves" winging their way to New Zealand already thanks.

Slainte

Gordon
Findlay - Aberdeen, Angus
Shepherd - Angus
Cargill, Swankie, Spink  - Angus
Melvin - Aberdeen
Coull - Angus, Aberdeen
Strachan - Kincardine, Aberdeen
Steven, Steen. Stein, Dunsmore, Burt, Prentice, Maxwell, Montgomery  - Lanark