Author Topic: Very high brick wall  (Read 7157 times)

Online Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Very high brick wall
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 09 July 22 21:50 BST (UK) »
Gosh I have had so much bother trying to get back on here I could not remember which board I was dealing with. so a huge apology to one and all who answered our query. We learned nothing, but the expectation was not great. Not of Rootschat, who have over the years been above and beyond excellent, so once again apologies for my seeming rudeness, thanks for your most welcome input.

Yes, it's difficult to find the board if you have not ticked the "receive" mail box.

Anyone can click on your name and it will take them to your "Profile". 
If you look at the top of the rootschat page,click on Profile, it will take you to the entry you made when you joined rootschat. 
On the lefthand side you will see the sub heading  "Show Posts".  If you click on that tab it will take you to a page showing every post you made.  Click on whichever subject and you will be taken to your thread.,
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 11 July 22 04:39 BST (UK) »
You know a little bit more regarding Annie i.e. marriage to Frank Garrod and her death in 1944 which would have helped to know when I saw this post - I see you raised this before back in 2012 and 2014.

Annie McDonald married Frank Arthur Garrod 14/4/1909 Witwatersrand, Johannesburg, Transvaal - states she was 34, a spinster, born Glasgow.   She had 4 children with him.

She was in fact older than 34 (actually 37) but, as stated above, shown as a spinster - this in turn makes one wonder if she was in fact actually married to said Charles Jones!!!  It's a common practice in Scotland for an illegitimate child to take the surname of their father even if the parents never married.   Pretty good records on familysearch.org for South Africa.

Found daughter Kathleen living with her maternal grandparents in 1911 at Kilmallie, Invernesshire.  Annie's parents were John McDonald and Christina Urquhart who married 9/6/1871 Tradeston, Glasgow (he was 26, a Railway Goods Porter, son of John McDonald, farm labourer, deceased and Jane McDonald, nee McIntyre, she 30, dau. of John Urquhart, Woodsawyer Journeyman and Ann nee Fraser) and they had a total of 5 children - Annie was indeed born in Glasgow (as Ann) on 1/12/1872 Hutchesontown, Glasgow, then Jane born 20/4/1874 same place who died 25/12/1876 Cambusnethan, followed by John Urquhart born 30/1/1876 Linton, Roxburgh (later census claim it as Kelso) and then 2 more daughters - another Jane and an Isabella born ca.1878 Woodside, Perth.   (1881 census states both girls were 3 years old but too many permutations to correctly identify their births in Scotlands People birth index.   Whether they were born twins or one of the ages in 1881 is incorrect I don't know.

In 1881 the family are at Urquhart, Inverness and John 35 now a Forester (unemployed) shown born Argyllshire, Christina 41 born Invernesshire, with Ann 8, John 5 and Jane and Isabella aged 3.

In 1891 family are at Kilmallie, Argyll as MacDonald - John now a railway ganger, with wife Christina, son John, daughter Isabella plus his mother Jane MacIntyre aged 86, shown as unmarried.

Haven't been able to find family in 1901.

In 1851 Kilmallie John McDonald is 8 and living with his unmarried mother shown as Jean (Jean/Jane interchangeable in Scotland) McIntyre 42, both shown born Kilmallie.

So, John bc.1843 Kilmallie and brought up with his fathers name, and his mother Jane/Jean McIntyre never married.

In 1841 the Urquhart family are in Urquhart, Inverness - Christina transcribed as 'Christian' aged 4 so she was bc.1837, in 1851 family still in Urquhart with Christina transcribed as 'Cirsty'.

Just found John and Christina in 1901 - just the 2 of them in Kilmallie transcribed as MacDonald.

Annette

Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline unknownmale

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 13 July 22 08:57 BST (UK) »
Well that`s me well and truly scolded and quite rightly so. I can only offer my sincere apology for my tardiness in responding to your post. Which contained a reference to family search.org & South Africa. This information proved to be invaluable. There were numerous documents of relevance on there. I can only say Annette, that I have never in the past omitted to pass on my thanks to any member who has helped in any research. There have been quite a few. There was no intention toslight you or disregard your very helpful post. Once again, My apologies.