Author Topic: 19th century mystery... abandonment?  (Read 1424 times)

Online liverpoolgenealogy

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 19th century mystery... abandonment?
« Reply #18 on: Monday 04 July 22 13:27 BST (UK) »
That’s fine. I just wanted to mention it.
In my experience, if there is a county or townland in addition to ‘Ireland’, it usually is reliable.
The difficulty is that early parish records are often missing.

I did notice that Griffiths Valuation, has the three surnames in Dunmore, Galway (I didn’t check anywhere else) but certainly Dooley and Burke are not uncommon.

Thank you for pointing this out! I haven't really utilised Griffith's Valuation too much, but the entries you found could certainly be family of Malachy.

Seeing how their name is recorded on the 1851 census, as Dulin, I hadn't discounted that they may have been from, or had connections to, the town of Doolin in Co. Clare, but again I couldn't prove that. Doolin isn't a million miles from Galway either.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 04 July 22 15:28 BST (UK) »
"They had arrived in Liverpool by 1847, their child, Joseph, was baptised there in October that year. (https://www.ancestry.co.uk/discoveryui-content/view/1215457:2180?tid=75039214&pid=38303897709&hid=73326233792)"

What is the occ. of father Malachy on the BC of son Joseph?

"My direct ancestor, Malachy Dooley, was then born in 1850. I'll label him Malachy (son of Malachy) to distinguish between him and his father. (https://www.ancestry.co.uk/discoveryui-content/view/781761:2180?tid=&pid=&queryId=1d52fa6c5ab36844c46b10f2c9e8fe52&_phsrc=lur892&_phstart=successSource)"

What is the occ. of father Malachy on the BC of Malachy Jnr?

"The family appear on the 1851 census, though there are numerous inaccuracies with this entry, but I still think it is them. - I haven't located a baptism record for Bridget, and Joseph presumably died in infancy. (https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageviewer/collections/8860/images/LANHO107_2176_2176-0390?treeid=75039214&personid=38303658367&hintid=73325430983&usePUB=true&usePUBJs=true&_gl=1*8xw41w*_ga*MTUyMDc0NjkzMC4xNjQ5MzIyODAy*_ga_4QT8FMEX30*MTY1Njg2NTgxNy40MS4xLjE2NTY4NjU5OTcuNjA.&pId=11457594)"

Malachy a Common Labourer

"In April 1851, a Malachy Dooley arrived in New York, USA, on the Underwriter. (https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?indiv=1&dbid=7488&h=911661&ssrc=pt&tid=75039214&pid=38303897658&usePUB=true&_gl=1*imq3mj*_ga*MTUyMDc0NjkzMC4xNjQ5MzIyODAy*_ga_4QT8FMEX30*MTY1Njg2NTgxNy40MS4xLjE2NTY4NjYzMzguNDE.) His age is given as 36, but on the 1851 census as 37. I'm not 100% sure on this record, but there is so few records of them, I can't say for sure whether it is or isn't him."

He'd have had to leave England prior to 31 Mar 1851 (census night) to arrive in New York on 7 Apr 1851 (not impossible), however, his occ. is now Carpenter

"I haven't found any other records of Malachy after this, not in the UK or USA, though I don't know very much about US genealogy.

In 1871, Sarah and Malachy (son of Malachy) appear in the 1871 census under Sarah's maiden name (Corless), and Sarah states she is widowed. This strikes me as very unusual. I have hundreds of married couples in my tree, and I have never seen a woman revert to her maiden name on the death of her husband, making me think that she was potentially abandoned, which could be supported by the immigration record.(https://www.ancestry.co.uk/discoveryui-content/view/15850577:7619?ssrc=pt&tid=75039214&pid=38303897681)"

I've seen many census records where widows revert to their maiden names (Scotland) but I can't say for Irish/English or others.

"Malachy (son on Malachy) married Catherine Fitzpatrick in 1873, and listed his father as deceased and a stone cutter."

There's a lot of differences in the occ. of Malachy Snr.

Annie

South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 04 July 22 16:32 BST (UK) »
"They had arrived in Liverpool by 1847, their child, Joseph, was baptised there in October that year. (https://www.ancestry.co.uk/discoveryui-content/view/1215457:2180?tid=75039214&pid=38303897709&hid=73326233792)"

What is the occ. of father Malachy on the BC of son Joseph?

"My direct ancestor, Malachy Dooley, was then born in 1850. I'll label him Malachy (son of Malachy) to distinguish between him and his father. (https://www.ancestry.co.uk/discoveryui-content/view/781761:2180?tid=&pid=&queryId=1d52fa6c5ab36844c46b10f2c9e8fe52&_phsrc=lur892&_phstart=successSource)"

What is the occ. of father Malachy on the BC of Malachy Jnr?

"The family appear on the 1851 census, though there are numerous inaccuracies with this entry, but I still think it is them. - I haven't located a baptism record for Bridget, and Joseph presumably died in infancy. (https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageviewer/collections/8860/images/LANHO107_2176_2176-0390?treeid=75039214&personid=38303658367&hintid=73325430983&usePUB=true&usePUBJs=true&_gl=1*8xw41w*_ga*MTUyMDc0NjkzMC4xNjQ5MzIyODAy*_ga_4QT8FMEX30*MTY1Njg2NTgxNy40MS4xLjE2NTY4NjU5OTcuNjA.&pId=11457594)"

Malachy a Common Labourer

"In April 1851, a Malachy Dooley arrived in New York, USA, on the Underwriter. (https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?indiv=1&dbid=7488&h=911661&ssrc=pt&tid=75039214&pid=38303897658&usePUB=true&_gl=1*imq3mj*_ga*MTUyMDc0NjkzMC4xNjQ5MzIyODAy*_ga_4QT8FMEX30*MTY1Njg2NTgxNy40MS4xLjE2NTY4NjYzMzguNDE.) His age is given as 36, but on the 1851 census as 37. I'm not 100% sure on this record, but there is so few records of them, I can't say for sure whether it is or isn't him."

He'd have had to leave England prior to 31 Mar 1851 (census night) to arrive in New York on 7 Apr 1851 (not impossible), however, his occ. is now Carpenter

"I haven't found any other records of Malachy after this, not in the UK or USA, though I don't know very much about US genealogy.

In 1871, Sarah and Malachy (son of Malachy) appear in the 1871 census under Sarah's maiden name (Corless), and Sarah states she is widowed. This strikes me as very unusual. I have hundreds of married couples in my tree, and I have never seen a woman revert to her maiden name on the death of her husband, making me think that she was potentially abandoned, which could be supported by the immigration record.(https://www.ancestry.co.uk/discoveryui-content/view/15850577:7619?ssrc=pt&tid=75039214&pid=38303897681)"

I've seen many census records where widows revert to their maiden names (Scotland) but I can't say for Irish/English or others.

"Malachy (son on Malachy) married Catherine Fitzpatrick in 1873, and listed his father as deceased and a stone cutter."

There's a lot of differences in the occ. of Malachy Snr.

Annie

This is something I have wondered about, but even living members of my family have give random occupations on marriage certificates for example. Most of my family do seem to stick with one occupation/trade throughout their life, but that doesn't mean they all did, I suppose.

Unfortunately, I haven't found any entries on the birth index for any of their children. Perhaps they objected to it on religious grounds? Maybe that explains why I can't find their deaths either.

Offline Stanwix England

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Hopeless scatterbrain
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 04 July 22 17:13 BST (UK) »
I've got a slim possible lead on Bridget Dooley, although the details don't fit well with what you provided - but given that the exact circumstances of the births of the children is unclear perhaps it's worth considering.

Liverpool Evening Express - Tuesday 24 February 1874

A Bridget Dooley was found dead in the early months of 1874, as a result of drunkenness. The circumstances of the case are a bit grim so I won't repeat them here. The newspaper says she was a domestic servant living in Crown Street, and that she was 22 years old, and was born in Enniscarthy, Ireland.

It is possible that the details of her birth etc had become confused, but it's worth exploring at least to rule it out.

;D Doing my best, but frequently wrong ;D
:-* My thanks to everyone who helps me, you are all marvellous :-*

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 04 July 22 17:23 BST (UK) »
I've got a slim possible lead on Bridget Dooley, although the details don't fit well with what you provided - but given that the exact circumstances of the births of the children is unclear perhaps it's worth considering.

A Bridget Dooley was found dead in the early months of 1874, as a result of drunkenness. The circumstances of the case are a bit grim so I won't repeat them here. The newspaper says she was a domestic servant living in Crown Street, and that she was 22 years old, and was born in Enniscarthy, Ireland.

It is possible that the details of her birth etc had become confused, but it's worth exploring at least to rule it out.

Good find, thank you! I haven't looked at the actual article yet, but I have previously seen an 1861 census entry for a Bridget Dooley (13) living with a William Dooley (32) who was her brother and both stated they were born in Wexford. Enniscarthy is in Wexford, so I think that links those two records together.

Household schedule number   227
Piece   2653
Folio   23
Page number   41

Not sure whether that could be our Bridget though? I think if these two records do go together, that makes the chance slim?

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 04 July 22 17:25 BST (UK) »
Edit: Oops! Posted the same thing twice. Ignore this.::)

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 04 July 22 17:31 BST (UK) »

Enniscarthy is in Wexford, so I think that links those two records together.

Enniscorthy
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enniscorthy

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline Stanwix England

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Hopeless scatterbrain
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 04 July 22 17:38 BST (UK) »

Good find, thank you! I haven't looked at the actual article yet, but I have previously seen an 1861 census entry for a Bridget Dooley (13) living with a William Dooley (32) who was her brother and both stated they were born in Wexford. Enniscarthy is in Wexford, so I think that links those two records together.

Household schedule number   227
Piece   2653
Folio   23
Page number   41

Not sure whether that could be our Bridget though? I think if these two records do go together, that makes the chance slim?

Yes unfortunately I think that does rule that Bridget out. Back to the drawing board!
;D Doing my best, but frequently wrong ;D
:-* My thanks to everyone who helps me, you are all marvellous :-*

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 04 July 22 18:11 BST (UK) »
Now, this is for you to look at and think about.  :)

Joseph Dooley baptised 1847 had a Godmother - Bridget Dooley

There is a marriage -
1843 Patrick Clark and Bridget Dooley (father Michael). Presumably not the same Bridget who is a godparent in 1847.

There are several baptisms to Patrick Clark and Bridget Clark so not sure if this is the right couple.

Bridget baptised 1858 has mother Dooley

Martin baptised 1854 (no mother’s maiden names on all entries) has a godfather Malachy Dooley.

Another child had a godmother Bridget Dooley so there was another Bridget Dooley beside Bridget Dooley Clarke.

It is so difficult because of the spelling variations and the several Dooleys around.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk