Author Topic: Moving GMail from Desktop to Laptop  (Read 433 times)

Offline Jean Price

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Moving GMail from Desktop to Laptop
« on: Monday 04 July 22 04:14 BST (UK) »
Good afternoon all,

I need to move or copy Gmail from my desktop computer to a laptop.
I use Google Chrome as my browser on both computers.
When I try to open Gmail on the laptop it asks for my password. Unfortunately, it does not like the pass word I have recorded in my book of passwords. It offers to send it to my mobile phone, but I don't have one of those.
Any ideas of what I do now.
Thank you in advance,
Jean Price

PS Every day or so I go to the desktop and look at the email there but I would really like to make life easier for my self.
Fawcett, Down; Gibson, Ayrshire and Tasmania; James, Cornwall and Victoria Aus; Cox, Northamptonshire, Thomas, Gloucestershire; Albury, Berkshire,

Offline bluesofa

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Moving GMail from Desktop to Laptop
« Reply #1 on: Monday 04 July 22 10:10 BST (UK) »
You may be able to change the password or add a verification mobile/email address via your google account settings.

• Start Gmail or Google Search on your desktop, or using Chrome...
  • Click on the circle in the top right (typically showing your initial, if you haven't add a picture)
  • Select "Manage your google account"
  • Select "Security" from the left hand menu
  • And there are sections on "Signing in to Google" where you may be able to change your password, or "Ways that we can verify that it's you" for adding verification accounts.

Or there was for me just now...

I'm not sure if you can add a landline as a verification number, and if it won't let you change your password without knowing it first, you may have to temporarily borrow a friends phone or email address to verify access.  ::)

Once you open Gmail on your laptop it should appear as you see it on your desktop.

Online scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 04 July 22 10:22 BST (UK) »
Once you do gain access, and as you don't have a mobile, for future help you may want to set up their "10 access codes" option. See:

https://www.rootschat.com/links/01ro6/
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 04 July 22 11:05 BST (UK) »
I've never had a problem adding my Google accounts to other machines. Are you sure you are putting in the correct password?

Check your password on your desktop by going to your gmail login page. Instead of logging in, select the 'show password' option which is just under the password box.  That should give you your current password.

Then go to Google on your laptop

https://www.google.co.uk/

and select Gmail or Sign in

You should be able to create you Gmail account from there.

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Jean Price

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 15 July 22 05:02 BST (UK) »
Thank you all for the help you provided.
Along with my brother-in-law holding my hand I now have Gmail on my desktop and lap top.
Regards
Jean Price
Fawcett, Down; Gibson, Ayrshire and Tasmania; James, Cornwall and Victoria Aus; Cox, Northamptonshire, Thomas, Gloucestershire; Albury, Berkshire,