Author Topic: Finding Gertrude Goldsmith  (Read 27411 times)

Offline Hollyhocker

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Finding Gertrude Goldsmith
« Reply #27 on: Friday 08 July 22 20:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Stewart. Thanks for this.
The Harold Arthur you mention here is Harold Snr. Born 1884. I'm after Harold Jr who was born 1914. Harold Jr left Jersey in March 1940. He applied to re-enter (along with his "wife" Gertrude [can't find a marriage certificate] and his step daughter Joan. I'm told by Jersey Archives that there was no evidence to suggest they actually moved back though (although Harold Arthur died in Jersey in 1975) so maybe they did??? I'm curious to know whether S Goldsmith was the son of Gertrude or another woman maybe Harold was previously married to??

Offline mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 08 July 22 21:04 BST (UK) »
The trouble with both those births is in the Will there is no second name.
The Will gives Joan’s second name, so it seems unlikely he would leave out a second name off his own son.  (Who could still be alive so I haven’t repeated his name here)

On the other hand, I like to think his Forename reflects Gertrude’s maiden name.

Still, given that school information,  you might have to take a punt.

Offline Hollyhocker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 08 July 22 21:25 BST (UK) »
His son's second name is listed as S***** Goldsmith is it not?
I'm just baffled why I can't find a birth certificate.

Offline mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 08 July 22 21:30 BST (UK) »
No, I mean his name is listed as S…….. Goldsmith,   not.  S……..J…….Goldsmith. whereas Joan is Joan Isabel

Well you might have found a birth cert if he is one of those two.  You won’t know unless you order them. By now, given her history, it’s probably easier not to put any surnames other than goldsmith on the birth certificate!!!

Fingers crossed you get a positive reply from the undertakers and can find out from that family.

Added…or it may be incorrectly indexed. You never know!

Offline Hollyhocker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 08 July 22 21:34 BST (UK) »
Also, just thinking out loud... If S****  started school on 28th Feb 1951 and was living at 29 Garden Lane, St Helier, this would suggest that Harold Arthur, Gertrude and Joan did indeed move back to Jersey after the war (as they intended).

Can anyone advise what records are available out there to check for Jersey? Or would anyone mind doing a search for me? I know there's only a limited amount of stuff on Ancestry. Not much after 1940. I'm really struggling because I'm not over there and have limited experience at researching the archives, let alone in Jersey!

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Saturday 09 July 22 02:58 BST (UK) »
Goldsmith Gertrude 1907 — 1954 Middlesex, Brompton Cemetery Records
Harold Jr left Jersey in March 1940. He applied to re-enter (along with his "wife" Gertrude [can't find a marriage certificate] and his step daughter Joan. I'm told by Jersey Archives that there was no evidence to suggest they actually moved back though (although Harold Arthur died in Jersey in 1975) so maybe they did??? I'm curious to know whether S Goldsmith was the son of Gertrude or another woman maybe Harold was previously married to??
Why don't you get the DC for Gertrude who looks to be yours then once you have info. from that you can work from there.
Too much speculating in my view?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Hollyhocker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Saturday 09 July 22 11:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Annie
Yes I'll do that and order the DC. Due to limited funds I was just trying to research other avenues first to try and verify that death before ordering the cert. But you're probably right so will order it. It will put me out of my misery one way or the other!
Still keen to find out where Stephen Goldsmith was born and who his mother was. Hopefully also I might be able to find living relatives who might be able to shed some light on my grandmother, who she was, what she was like and why she gave my dad away at birth

Offline hgs46

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Saturday 09 July 22 16:49 BST (UK) »
Referring to this very good lead .. ‘I've come into this discussion quite late. There is a "…….. Goldsmith in the school register for Brighton Road School, St Helier. He started school on 28th Feb 1951. His father was Harold and they were living at 29 Garden Lane, St Helier. Date of birth was 24th Feb 1945 in "London". He had transferred from St Mark's School. I can't see a birth in FreeBMD for that date, only one in Mar 1944 and one in Mar 1946. The latter father's surname is Goldsmith and mother's previous name Goldsmith(?).

I wondered if it might be possible to follow this up .. and .. might there be a reason for giving perhaps a wrong date of birth at time of admission to Brighton Road School. Would the St Marks records have a reason for moving school, or just a natural progression because of age. And is there a way of finding the day he left the last school. As I say, just wondering!

Offline Hollyhocker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Saturday 09 July 22 17:20 BST (UK) »
I’ll get in touch with Jersey archives about it on Monday. Their website shows they do hold some archive material for St Marks but only from 1959 onwards which would miss out the years we are looking for…