Author Topic: HOOPER in Barnstaple  (Read 330 times)

Offline Nikkei

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
HOOPER in Barnstaple
« on: Wednesday 06 July 22 19:49 BST (UK) »
I am searching for the baptism of a William HOOPER, born either South Molton or Barnstaple, between 1826 and 1831. He was the son of Thomas Dooland HOOPER and his wife, Ann SNOW. Many of their children included some variation of Dooland / Doolan in their name, as did future generations. The censuses from 1841 to 1901 all point to a birth around 1826 - 1828, and no-where is there any mention of his name including Dooland. BUT there is a burial of William Doolan HOOPER, age 75, in 1906 in Barnstaple. This is the only incidence of the name Dooland attached to him and am hoping a baptism would prove otherwise. In the 1901 census William declared himself to be already 76 years of age. Ironically, his wife, Fanny, also declared her age as 77 in 1901 and at her death in 1908, she was said to be 76 !! I know ages at death are not reliable.... but ??? Hoping a baptism might include Dooland in his name.
NOSWORTHY, HORSWILL, YELLAND, CROCKER, POPE in Devon; NESWORTHY in Durham & Northumberland; FARLEY in Sussex; RICKARD in Cornwall.
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

Online ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: HOOPER in Barnstaple
« Reply #1 on: Friday 08 July 22 11:31 BST (UK) »
Hi
Can't see a baptism for William but here are the other children
Mary 11.8.1822 South Molton Anglican church South St labourer
Anne 14.9.1823 South Molton South st labourer

John Henry Snow 14.11.1827 Barnstaple St Peter Vicarage Lane Engliner Thomas Dowlen and Ann
Sarah 24.6.1831 Barnsrable Wesleyian Methodist  born 6.6.1831
Harriott 6.1.1833 /21.1.1833 same
Sophia 8/21. 9.1836 same
Jane 11.9.1839 St Peter Barnstaple d of Thomas and Ann mechanic Derby

So William about 1825

Ciderdrinker

Offline Nikkei

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: HOOPER in Barnstaple
« Reply #2 on: Friday 08 July 22 22:34 BST (UK) »
Thank you for taking the time to find these siblings. I did not have "Sophia" so she must have died before the 1841 census.

There was a Charles born ca 1835... whom I guess was not baptized... perhaps like his brother, William. I have searched in vain for a William Hooper, born ca 1831 in the censuses (based on his age at burial) and can find none in the Barnstaple (or any other) area. There was one William born ca 1826 who died in 1906 but I found him elsewhere in Devon in censuses.

Given the middle name of Dooland, I have to continue to believe this is the William born ca 1826 and who was part of this family.
NOSWORTHY, HORSWILL, YELLAND, CROCKER, POPE in Devon; NESWORTHY in Durham & Northumberland; FARLEY in Sussex; RICKARD in Cornwall.
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.