Author Topic: James raggett born 1813 st Fenne jersey  (Read 383 times)

Offline queenswood 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
James raggett born 1813 st Fenne jersey
« on: Thursday 07 July 22 10:23 BST (UK) »
I have James raggett born 1813 as above to henry Raggett and Elizabeth Wey. Henry and elizabeth eventually move back to Melcombe Regis in Weymouth but I cannot find their son james anywhere until I find him in 1861 also in Melcombe regis- and now with a wife called Alice.
I cannot find him before 1861 and I cannot find James and Alice after 1861 so would appreciate any help!
Also if anyone can find the marriage of James parents - Henry raggett and Elizabeth Wey- who I believe married in Jersey in 1813 that would be wonderful.
Thank you
Roots/Day/Atkins - (Essex/Suffolk/ London)Bourne/Milner/Corden-(Staffs/Shrops/Cheshire)
Wood/Gibbs/Battrick/Fall/Budden-(Dorset)

Online trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
Re: James raggett born 1813 st Fenne jersey
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 07 July 22 10:57 BST (UK) »
1851 hes in Dorset;

James Raggett   38 Head Mar Marble Mason born Jersey, Channel Islands
Anne Raggett   40 Wife born Preston, Dorset
Harriet Richard   60 Visitor

Image for Marriage to Anna PLOWMAN 1850 is on Anc

1871 she is Annie also so maybe a mistake of her name in 1861

Trish :)

All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Online trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 07 July 22 11:07 BST (UK) »
1841 James is with Parents in Dorset;
Henry Raggett 45
Elizth Raggett 45
James Raggett 25
Geo Raggett 15
Eliza Raggett 16
Mary Raggett 11
Emma Raggett 3

I couldnt make out James and his Father Henrys occp on his 1850 M/C but have now worked it out.
(same as 1841 Census which is hard to read also)

STATUARY
"classical statuary"
ARCHAIC
the art or practice of making statues.
ARCHAIC
a sculptor.
plural noun: statuaries

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Online trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 07 July 22 11:39 BST (UK) »
Marriage;
21 Nov 1813
Marriage Place: St Helier, Jersey
Henry RAGGETT to Elizabeth WEY

You may have this?

HENRY Raggett bapt 05 Jan 1794, St Mary the Virgin, Frensham, Surrey
Parents JAMES/MARY
(FreeREG)

+
ELIZABETH  Wey bapt 5 Apr 1797 Melcombe Regis to JOHN/ELIZABETH
(Anc)

Online hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 07 July 22 11:44 BST (UK) »
Several interesting mentions in the newspapers eg James tendering to repair the Esplanade Wall..
In 1881 Anna Raggett is recorded as a "lodging house keeper" at 14 Brunswick Terrace and there is a very detailed description in the Southern Times & Dorset County Herald, 12 Nov 1881, re. the sale of the contents of No.14, home of the "late Mrs James Raggett".  -

Offline queenswood 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 07 July 22 12:14 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for confirming the marriage in 1813 for Henry and Elizabeth- yes I had their baptisms- and I have often wondered why Henry moved from his birthplace of Surrey to Weymouth- he was a buildr and I guess maybe he also tendered or applied for work as I have read that construction for Weymouth harbour and Portland was very active around the eraly 1820s so it is all making sense now! I had also looked for henry on the Melcombe Regis directories and found him as a builder/stone mason etc- he did very well in the end!- and annoyingly I recalled seeing a James Raggett stone mason in one of the directories but had not joined the dots up at the time!
So your reply has been wonderful- thank you!
Roots/Day/Atkins - (Essex/Suffolk/ London)Bourne/Milner/Corden-(Staffs/Shrops/Cheshire)

Offline queenswood 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 07 July 22 13:20 BST (UK) »
I wonder if there is any way of finding out what Henry Raggett(born 1794) was doing in HJersey in 1813- where he married Elizabeth who came from the Weymouth area- and their first son was born. Was henry possibly working with a local construction group in Jersey or are there any signs he was part of a navy institution? Bearing in mind Henry was born in Surrey it is a curious story.
Thank you

Online trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 08 July 22 08:22 BST (UK) »
I think that finding why Henry was in Jersey will be likely impossible.

People went where work was.
I have an ancestor from Norfolk who bapt 2 children in Essex. A gardener so maybe working for an estate at that time.

Offline queenswood 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: James raggett born 1813 st Fenne jersey Completed
« Reply #8 on: Friday 08 July 22 10:40 BST (UK) »
Thank you - yes I have an itinerant grocer too who travelled the length and breadth of the Country with a young family- we have no idea how hard life must have been for them. Thank you so much.