Author Topic: Passenger arrivals from The Cape to NZ 1888-1895  (Read 1137 times)

Offline minniehaha

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "To live in hearts we leave behind, Is not to die"
    • View Profile
Re: Passenger arrivals from The Cape to NZ 1888-1895
« Reply #9 on: Friday 08 July 22 05:48 BST (UK) »
If this tree is not yours perhaps you could contact the owner who may have the information you seek.......

https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Dyson-McGregor-1

Minniehaha.
HAMMOND, Cainham/Caynham, Shropshire, U.K. Otago-NZ.
GALBRAITH, Ireland, Dunedin, Otago-NZ., Kensington-London, U.K.
GRANT, Sct., Dunedin, Otago-NZ., Vancouver, Canada.
GLASS, Aberdeenshire, Otago-NZ.
CAIRNEY/CARNEY/KEARNEY/Ireland, Airdrie, Scotland, Otago-NZ.
O'BRIEN Mary Ann, Limerick, Otago-NZ.
NICOL(L) James, Scotland, Otago-NZ.
SCOTT Thomas, Shetland, Otago-NZ.
MCHARDY/MCHARDIE Euphemia, Scotland, Otago-NZ.

Offline Westee

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 08 July 22 07:09 BST (UK) »
Not mine - thanks.

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 08 July 22 14:41 BST (UK) »
.....    Arthur....  He was born in 1882.  Can we find his emigration record to New Zealand.  Mother .....Sarah and father (although not biological) was Charles.  It must have been in 1888 they immigrated as another child was born in Jan 1889 in NZ.
I'm trying to find the emigration record. 

Hi Westee

How is it that you know that Charles McGREGOR travelled from South Africa with Sarah and her child ??
*   Do you have any evidence that McGREGOR was in South Africa  ??

*   Had Sarah divorced her first husband  ?       
*   When did Sarah marry McGREGOR ??

Just asking these questions because nothing has come to light in the passenger lists available to us.

As already mentioned by mckha (Reply # 8 ) it's unlikely they will show up on passenger lists into NZ as these in the main recorded persons coming here from the UK and Ireland, with a small number from Europe, who were part of immigration schemes arranged by the provincial governments of the day.   

You seem unsure of dates (years) in which they might have travelled to NZ ... 1888 / later changed to 1886 ??

~  Lu

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 08 July 22 14:58 BST (UK) »
wrong information.  Eva was not born then.  Just wrong information on website, so looking for them arriving 1886 - 1888.

....not sure what you mean in the ^^  above ???

The birth of Eva McGREGOR is listed on the NZ BDM Birth Index in 1907.   However, her birthdate can be deduced from this online record (20 January 1889) so it appears as if it was a late registration of same ?    That's a bit odd, because the NZ Birth Index (at ancestry site) has the birth registered in 1889 - first quarter - at Hastings (and there's been no apparent alteration to that) ??

So why have you changed the year of search back to 1886  ??

~  Lu

Offline Westee

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 09 July 22 00:10 BST (UK) »
Lots to clarify here.

I was helping someone and didn't look at my earlier papers.  :(

However, no one can find a marriage for Sarah and Charles.  I doubt that there was a divorce from George Dyson.

Eva McGregor was born in Jan 1889, Hastings - as you say.  Thanks for showing me registration on Ancestry.  Why register her in 1907 is crazy!    Will tell my friend to order the birth which was registered in 1889 to view details.  Will be interesting.

I haven't any evidence at this stage of Charles being in South Africa.  Just family handmedown stories. I am working on it.  I also wondered whether Sarah made her own way out here and met up with Charles here.  More to do on this.

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 09 July 22 00:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Westee

Thanks for clarification.   

Yes, much to be speculated upon, I guess.   ;D

Will add some further information shortly.

~  Lu

Offline Westee

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 09 July 22 05:39 BST (UK) »
A little luck today.  I found a newspaper article Dec. 1888  stating that his brother "Mr C. McGregor had recently arrived from the Cape".  No mention of any other family or wife with him.
So I can narrow it down more again and will have to contact archives here for arrivals into New Plymouth as I cannot find them on line.  So at this stage, it would seem that Charles was here by Nov/Dec. 1888.

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 09 July 22 05:41 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately a lot of the passenger lists of this era are a bit sparse on detail.

http://www.national.archsrch.gov.za/sm300cv/smws/sm300dl
Search on Database:   Cape Town Archives Repository
- hopefully you can get into here but there is a 1887 court case between Sarah Dyson (born Wellings) vs George Dyson.

It's a "restitution of conjugal rights" case which normally indicates that the spouses were living apart and one of them was trying to reverse this, or at least to document the desertion for divorce purposes. I have heard it is quite difficult to get copies of items out of the South African archives, but this is the most likely document to explain the hows and even possibly the whys of the breakdown of the Dyson marriage.

I would strongly encourage getting hold of the birth certificate of Eva or one of the other children in New Zealand - it should have the location and date of marriage on it. Even if this is not 100% accurate it would be interesting to see if they are saying they married in South Africa and came over together, or married in New Zealand and therefore perhaps came seperately.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 09 July 22 05:50 BST (UK) »
Hmm, given the reference you found to him having "recently arrived" in Dec 1888, how about this entry in Nov 1888 for Mr C McGregor, Mrs McGregor, and child, on the Ionic?  Would have meant they went via the UK:

https://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/NZTIM18881122.2.10?end_date=31-12-1889&items_per_page=100&query=%22C+McGregor%22&snippet=true&sort_by=byDA&start_date=01-01-1888
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk