Author Topic: James Tobin & Margaret Dunbar  (Read 814 times)

Offline ken murphy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
James Tobin & Margaret Dunbar
« on: Friday 08 July 22 18:06 BST (UK) »
Am enquiring if anyone has any information concerning James (Jem) Tobin and Margaret (Peggy) Dunbar. As best as I can establish they lived in the Ballycarney area of Ferns in the 1830's, and were likely married in 1830/1831, though there is no record of the marriage in Ferns.
With regard to James Tobin, I have been unable to discover when or where he was born. He most likely died (my best guess) between 1865 and 1871.
I do know that Margaret Tobin died in Ballyvaloo on 28th September 1871, but as to when or where she was born I have no idea.
I have all the relevant information of the children born of the marriage (at least the ones that I've discovered) - Thomas (1832-1877), Sarah (1833-1891 and Margaret (1836-1916).
Anyone out there able to help?
Thank You :)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: James Tobin & Margaret Dunbar
« Reply #1 on: Friday 08 July 22 19:49 BST (UK) »
If you click on 'report to moderator' you can ask for your post to be moved to the correct board (Wexford?) where it will be more likely to be seen by people with local knowledge.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Online Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 17 August 22 20:54 BST (UK) »
Am enquiring if anyone has any information concerning James (Jem) Tobin and Margaret (Peggy) Dunbar. As best as I can establish they lived in the Ballycarney area of Ferns in the 1830's, and were likely married in 1830/1831, though there is no record of the marriage in Ferns.
With regard to James Tobin, I have been unable to discover when or where he was born. He most likely died (my best guess) between 1865 and 1871.
I do know that Margaret Tobin died in Ballyvaloo on 28th September 1871, but as to when or where she was born I have no idea.
I have all the relevant information of the children born of the marriage (at least the ones that I've discovered) - Thomas (1832-1877), Sarah (1833-1891 and Margaret (1836-1916).
Anyone out there able to help?
Thank You :)

There are several Dunbar families in the Ferns area - have you looked at them, just to see where they lived?
I presume you have checked the tythe valuation for Ferns, which includes Ballycarney?
Why do you think the Margaret Tobin who died in 1871 in Ballyvaloo is yours?  Strikes me as too distant to be likely.
Who were the godparents for the children - any hints there?
Where did the children live/what did they do? Do they give information/hints as to what James Tobin was - ie. a farmer, laborer, or something else?
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline ken murphy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 21 August 22 16:37 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your response.
The 3 children that I found were all baptised in Ferns.
Thomas - 15th January 1832 - Sponsors: Tom & Catherine Dunbar
Sarah (Sally) - 9th December 1833 - Sponsors: Mick Dunbar & Dolly Doran
Margaret - 8th September 1836 - Sponsors: James Dunbar & Mary Murphy

Margaret's marriage on 24th February 1865 to Moses Doyle, James Tobin's occupation is not listed - both spouses residences were recorded as Kilmacoe, Screen.
Thomas' marriage on 9th October 1871 to Margaret Doyle (sister of Moses Doyle), James Tobin's occupation is recorded as 'Labourer' - both spouses were resident in Kilmacoe, Screen.
Sarah married in Ferns (residence: Woodlands) to William Prandy in 2nd August 1857.

James Tobin is not recorded as 'Deceased' on Margaret's marriage in 1865, but is recorded as 'Deceased' on Thomas' marriage in 1871.

Margaret (Peggy) Dunbar died (widow) on 28th September 1871 in Ballyvaloo - Moses Doyle (son-in-law) was present at her death.

I have been unable to discover any further information on James Tobin, elsewhere.

Online Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 21 August 22 17:40 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your response.
The 3 children that I found were all baptised in Ferns.

Well, seems to me that there is good news and bad news.

The good news is that from the Ferns baptisms all including Dunbar godparents, it is clear that the Dunbar family were from the parish or very close by. With some application you may/should be able to figure out which one - not that common a name.

The bad news is that as James Tobin was a laborer, there is unlikely to be much in the way of early records for him other than parish records. What I would do is take a look at location of local Tobin families in tythe and Griffith's valuations - how many were there, and where? Just to get a feel for possibilities as to where he might have been from.

Finally, Kilmacoe is a ways from Ferns. An unusually long way, especially for a laboring family. Kilmacoe is next to Curracloe village, in fact the village church is in Kilmacoe. Why/how did the family move - any recollection?
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Online Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 21 August 22 20:06 BST (UK) »
There were several Tobin Families in Ferns parish.
One of particular interest might be the James Tobin holding 3 acres in Ballybeg, as shown in the 1824 tythe valuation for the parish of Ferns. That is small enough that he could be described as a farmer or laborer, depending.  Do any of the Ferns baptisms you found have a townland address?

Offline ken murphy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 22 August 22 14:11 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your responses, Wexflyer.
Yes I was aware of the 1824 Tithe Valuation for James Tobin in Ballybeg & also the Griffiths Valuation in Bolabeg, though neither one is conclusive.
Is Ballybeg & Bolabeg one and the same?
With regard to the Baptisms - Coolbawn was the residence for Thomas (1832); no residence recorded for Sarah (1833); Crory was the residence for Margaret (1836).
My best guess would be that Peggy Tobin (nee Dunbar) moved to Ballyvaloo after Jem's death, to be nearer to her son (Thomas) and daughter (Margaret).
Sarah Prandy (nee Tobin) was living in Hill Street, Wexford at that time.
That's about as much as I can tell you  :)

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 22 August 22 14:59 BST (UK) »
Sarah Prandy (nee Tobin) was living in Hill Street, Wexford at that time.”

Marriage 1857, Ferns
William Prandy and Sally Tobin, residence,  Woodlands.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 22 August 22 15:30 BST (UK) »
Yes I was aware of the 1824 Tithe Valuation for James Tobin in Ballybeg & also the Griffiths Valuation in Bolabeg, though neither one is conclusive.
Is Ballybeg & Bolabeg one and the same?

No, different places.
Bola Beg
https://www.townlands.ie/wexford/scarawalsh/templeshanbo/ballindaggan/bola-beg/
Ballybeg (the one you are interested in, there are many)
https://www.townlands.ie/wexford/scarawalsh/ferns/ballybeg/ballybeg/