Author Topic: James Tobin & Margaret Dunbar  (Read 826 times)

Offline ken murphy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: James Tobin & Margaret Dunbar
« Reply #9 on: Monday 22 August 22 15:35 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your help, Wexflyer :)

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 22 August 22 15:36 BST (UK) »
With regard to the Baptisms - Coolbawn was the residence for Thomas (1832); no residence recorded for Sarah (1833); Crory was the residence for Margaret (1836).

From that it is clear that your James Tobin was an itinerant laborer - that is a laborer who moved from farm to farm for work, as opposed to having a fixed employment at one farm.

That being so, he could only be the James Tobin of the 1824 tythe valuation if he had lost his land holding in the 1824-1832 period. Which is of course possible but unknown.
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline ken murphy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 23 August 22 13:02 BST (UK) »
I wouldn't disagree with your conclusion, Wexflyer.
Thanks again for your help  :)

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 23 August 22 17:12 BST (UK) »
Some final comments to OP:

Are you relying on commercial transcriptions and indexing of the parish registers to look for Ferns baptisms and marriages, or did you look in person?

Commercial indexing can be quite unreliable - they tend to misread difficult entries, or unfamiliar names. Once I know a location for one of my own families, i always consult the originals myself.

Also, as James was obviously moving around, there may have been children earlier than 1832, or in the gaps, etc. Have you looked for other later Tobin marriages with father James? Just as a possibility.
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline ken murphy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 23 August 22 19:47 BST (UK) »
The source of my information is the NLI Parish Registers.
I have checked Marriages in Ferns from 1819 & Baptisms from 1819 to 1844.
I think it is unlikely that I have missed any Baptisms, especially given that the family was still resident in the Ferns area, at the time of Sarah's marriage in 1857.

I would say that my research has hit a dead end, and I am unlikely to discover when/where James & Margaret were born. With regard to their marriage, I have to assume that the priest failed to record it in the Register. As it wasn't mandatory to register a death, then it is unlikely I will discover when/where James died.

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 24 August 22 18:04 BST (UK) »
.... With regard to their marriage, I have to assume that the priest failed to record it in the Register....

I would have a different assumption as being the most likely: That the bride was from a different parish, and that they were married in her home parish.  This possibility is why I mentioned that children might have been born before 1832 or in gaps - children potentially born in other parishes.
Of course the records don't exist for those other parishes, but as the marriage records do exist for Ferns, and your James and Margaret aren't in them, this seems the most likely scenario to me.

Offline ken murphy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 24 August 22 19:02 BST (UK) »
Wexflyer, your assumption could be correct. I didn't discount that possibility, and I did investigate it some time ago, without any luck.
I can't think of anywhere else to investigate.
Once again thanks for your help & suggestions  :)