Author Topic: Malling Union Workhouse - Hawkes children  (Read 544 times)

Offline 1JC

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Malling Union Workhouse - Hawkes children
« Reply #9 on: Monday 11 July 22 05:06 BST (UK) »
Brilliant, thanks Trish. CaroleW & Bearcat. The Mary Ann Hawkes marriage fits perfectly. Kate Mills, nee Hawkes is her auntie. It is interesting that the marriage register has her father, John Hawkes a labourer, as deceased in 1882. Mary Ann’s mother died in 1867 and the last I had on her father was in 1868 (a newspaper reference to him). So now I know that John Hawkes, born 1835, died between 1868 and 1882.
Harriet is still probably a loose end. I have found a marriage between Harriet Hawkes Robbins, widow, aged 39, on 3 January 1898 in Manhattan, New York. Her parents were recorded as Wm Hawkes and Ann Pollak. So the Robbins linkage is not to our Harriet Hawkes.
The other loose end is their sister Ann Hawkes, born 1858. She was a general servant, aged 14 in the 1871 census. I have not found anything about her since the 1871 census. I initially thought she married Henry George Shorter in 1880 but the 1881 census has that Ann Shorter, nee Hawkes as born in Brabourne, Kent (not Snodland). So not the one. Ann and Harriet were close in age so they may have gone somewhere together.

Offline Maid of Kent

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 11 July 22 11:57 BST (UK) »
I have followed this post with interest. (My mother used to work in Snodland). This is my tuppence worth.

John Hawkes 1832 Snodland married Mary Ann Capon Maidstone 1857

children:
 Ann 1857
Harriet 1860
Decibella 1861-1884
Mary Ann 1863
John Thomas 1865
unnamed twins boy and girl 1867-1867

1861 John and Mary in Snodland with daughter's Ann and Harriet
1867 Mary Ann Hawkes nee Capon  died
1871 workshouse Harriet, Decibella and Mary Ann
1871 John 1865 is with his paternal grandparents. also with them is an Ellen given as granddaughter 1870 - 1872
1881 Mary Ann with her auntie Kate Mills nee Hawks
1884 Decibella died

so we have Ann, Harriet and Mary Ann unaccounted for.
Ann last on 1871 census as servant in Snodland.

I ask myself why did John's parents only take in his son John and Ellen and let the other 3 go into the workhouse?

Hope you find out someday.

Kidney,Kitney Detling Stockbury Chatham. Wenham Biddenden. Waltham.  Pemble Birchington/St Peters. Sibun Medway Chatham/Gravesend

Offline Maid of Kent

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 11 July 22 12:57 BST (UK) »
ps sorry missed Mary Ann Hawkes marriage to William Brown North Aylesford 1882
Kidney,Kitney Detling Stockbury Chatham. Wenham Biddenden. Waltham.  Pemble Birchington/St Peters. Sibun Medway Chatham/Gravesend

Online softly softly

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 11 July 22 18:59 BST (UK) »
Deleted