Author Topic: Marriage Record  (Read 546 times)

Offline Heidi72

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Marriage Record
« on: Sunday 10 July 22 11:08 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I'm looking for a marriage record for the below:

Mary Alexander born 1806 to 1808 in Portpatrick
to
Bernard Mooney born 1803, Londonderry, Ireland

The reason I believe they were married in Portpatrick is due to the document attached, however I can’t locate this anywhere?

They immigrated to Australia in 1840. I'm very familiar with searching Australian records, however I have to admit Scotish records perplex me. 

I believe Mary's parents to be William or John Alexander and Margaret Kelly. Any help locating anything about them or Mary's birth records would also be appreciated. :-)

Kind Regards, Heidi

Offline fiddlerslass

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage Record
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 10 July 22 11:56 BST (UK) »
There is no marriage for Bernard Mooney on Scotland's People, RC or any other denomination that I can see, with wife's surname , however there is a baptism of a daughter Margaret born 19 jul 1825, chr 26 jul 1825 at Newton Stewart church of Our Lady & St Ninian ,Wigtown, father Bernardi Mooney, mother Margaretae Alexander, not Mary. May be worth looking at, nevertheless.

perhaps the marriage was in Ireland?
Bulman, DUR
Butterfield DUR & N. YKS,
Earnshaw DUR
Hopps DUR & N. YKS
Howe, Richardson,Thompson all DUR

William Thompson violin maker Bishop Auckland
William Thompson jun. Violin maker Leeds

Richardson in Bermondsey/East Ham, descendants of William Richardson b. 1820 Bishop Auckland

Berger, Fritsch, Ritschel, Pechanz, Funke, Endesfelder & others from Czechia

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 10 July 22 12:16 BST (UK) »
ALEXANDER   MARY   JOHN ALEXANDER/MARGARET KELLY    F   06/12/1806   Portpatrick
ALEXANDER   MARY   JOHN ALEXANDER/MARGARET MCCORMICK    F   19/03/1805   Portpatrick

One of the above may have married a JOHN CHEAPE in 1823

However no marriage in 1826 on https://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 10 July 22 12:33 BST (UK) »

Just for information there is also a Portpatrick Northern Ireland.

Can you post a link to this Portpatrick in Northern Ireland?

Thank you

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 10 July 22 15:28 BST (UK) »
Sorry I misread the information I found.

I have deleted post.

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 11 July 22 13:29 BST (UK) »
The reason I believe they were married in Portpatrick is due to the document attached, however I can’t locate this anywhere?
That so-called 'record' is marked as 'submitted after 1991 by a member of the LDS Church' and is not accompanied by any indication of its source. Therefore it is not a reliable document and you should either dismiss it or (if you are really keen) try to verify it by contacting the person who submitted it and asking where the information came from.

In the absence of an original record at Scotland's People, there are several possibilities
- the 'submitter' is descended from a child of this marriage and has simply invented a plausible marriage date (the fact that it contains only a year and not an actual date points to this being the most likely explanation, and the fact that there is a record of a baptism of a probable child in 1825 proves that the 'submitter' has not seen the original records at Scotland's People)
or
- the marriage was never recorded, or if it was the record has been lost
or
- the couple married in Ireland (and the record is either missing or not, or not yet, available online)
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Heidi72

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 12 July 22 09:56 BST (UK) »
Thankyou for your reply - I was wondering about the validity of this document and although I'm very new to geneology I do try and be as acurate as possible.
On Bernard Mooneys death certificate it states that he was married in PortPatrick, Scotland, however as death certificates are completed by next of kin they too can be unreliable.