Author Topic: What the Dickens....?  (Read 2740 times)

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
What the Dickens....?
« on: Sunday 10 July 22 12:53 BST (UK) »
On a recent trip to Germany I met a German painter who claimed that he was descended from Charles Dickens.  Some time ago he discovered a book by Monica Dickens, Charles Dicken's gt-granddaughter, and when he turned the book over he saw a photo of a woman who looked very much like his aunt Louisa.  His father and grandfather were German, but lived in England for many years, running a butcher's shop.  Dickens had 10 children and I don't know how to proceed from here, so would welcome any helpful hints.  I'm afraid I don't have any further information about the painter's family, only know that he was born in Cologne in the 1950s.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: What the Dickens....?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 10 July 22 15:03 BST (UK) »
Has he asked you to research for him?  If so you need to get a lot more info from him

Is his claim based purely on him seeing a photo of someone who he "thought"  looked like his aunt Louisa.  If that is his sole evidence it's tenuous to say the least.   Surely he must know if he is a descendant of Charles Dickens.

If he saw this picture "some time ago" - has he carried out any of his own research since then?

Who was the woman on the back of the book? 

Aunt Louisa who?  When & where was she born?  Who were her parents? 

Charles Dickens died in 1870 so are you intending to research all of his children to establish which (if any) "Aunt Louisa" may be descended from??

There is a Charles John Huffam Dickens tree on Ancestry - have you checked it?  7 children born to his marriage & 2 to another relationship.  May be simpler to direct him to the tree owner

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Online andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 10 July 22 18:48 BST (UK) »
Dickens is known to have had a long-standing mistress - Ellen Ternan (b Rochester c1839).

Maybe the link is through her?
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 11 July 22 10:07 BST (UK) »
Thanks, CaroleW for all your helpful suggestions.  I have as many questions as you, though.  My artist friend has not asked me to do this research.  I'm just curious.  He and his family have clearly done some research into family history and he seems convinced that he is descended from Charles Dickens.  He obtained the Monica Dickens book because he knew that she was a descendant of Charles, but was amazed when he looked at the back cover of the book and saw the picture of Monica, who looked just like his aunt Louisa. 

He speaks very little English and although I do speak German, he has a very strong Cologne accent, so this is what I have been able to gather from our conversation.  He is clearly proud of the Dickens connection and it's firmly believed within his family.   I have to write to him soon (he presented me with one of his abstract paintings), so will probe a little further, if he is willing.

Andrewalston
I believe that Dickens and Ellen had just one child, who died in infancy.

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline Stanwix England

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Hopeless scatterbrain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 11 July 22 18:59 BST (UK) »
I looked online and he did have a son who spent time in Germany. Could that be the connection?

https://www.charlesdickenspage.com/charles-dickens-family-friends.html

Charles Culliford (Charley) Dickens (1837-1896) - Dickens' first child, educated at Eton, and studied business in Germany. Charley was the only child who lived with his mother after Dickens' separation with Catherine in 1858. In 1862 he married Bessie Evans, daughter of Dickens' former publisher, Frederick Evans, with whom Dickens had had a falling out. After a failed business venture, Dickens hired Charley as sub-editor of All the Year Round (Davis, 1999, p. 98).
;D Doing my best, but frequently wrong ;D
:-* My thanks to everyone who helps me, you are all marvellous :-*

Offline Stanwix England

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Hopeless scatterbrain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 11 July 22 19:00 BST (UK) »
Hmm, looking at the further details, he was pretty young when in Germany, less than 18, but I suppose we can't entirely rule it out.
;D Doing my best, but frequently wrong ;D
:-* My thanks to everyone who helps me, you are all marvellous :-*

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 11 July 22 19:31 BST (UK) »
We don’t have any dates to work from.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 12 July 22 00:38 BST (UK) »
His father and grandfather were German, but lived in England for many years, running a butcher's shop.
A place to start would be with his g/parents if he knows enough info. but it looks as though your research will begin in Germany, not England, otherwise...

Charles Dickens died in 1870 so are you intending to research all of his children to establish which (if any) "Aunt Louisa" may be descended from??

There is a Charles John Huffam Dickens tree on Ancestry - have you checked it?  7 children born to his marriage & 2 to another relationship.  May be simpler to direct him to the tree owner

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 12 July 22 10:17 BST (UK) »
I've written to my artist friend today and will ask him for more details, if he wants to give them.  I'm not sure what brought his butcher father and grandfather to open their business in London, but am thinking that maybe the grandfather married an Englishwoman (a Dickens relative?) and eventually  brought her back to Germany, where he ran a very successful business in Berlin.

I gave the wrong place of birth in my first message, I think.  My friend was born in 1952 in Düsseldorf, North-Rhine Westphalia. If he wants to share more, I'll continue the search.  Thanks for your interest.