Author Topic: Naturalisation in the UK  (Read 523 times)

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Naturalisation in the UK
« on: Sunday 10 July 22 13:28 BST (UK) »
Some of my ancestors served in British India during the Raj.  During that time several children were born there.  Yesterday I came across naturalisation papers to get British citizenship for one of them.  I have never come across this before, for any of the others in my tree. I had thought children born to British citizens serving in India in the 1800s were considered British subjects.  The person in question was born in 1890, came back to UK for school(stayed with aunt), then joined the army and worked through the ranks, serving in WW1 and WW2.  The people I've asked have explained current emigration rules eg for someone born in India in 1990 but I understand the current rules, it's the historical ones I am confused about.
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline Andrew Tarr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Wanted: Charles Percy Liversidge
    • View Profile
Re: Naturalisation in the UK
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 10 July 22 13:45 BST (UK) »
My mother was born to English parents in Lahore in 1904.  Her proofs of birth were a certificate of baptism in Lahore Cathedral (said to be born on ... ) and an announcement in her local English paper.  I never heard of (or saw) any 'naturalisation' papers.  Her father was in the Education Service and mother used to 'furlough' back home every few years, so perhaps such things were not needed.
Tarr, Tydeman, Liversidge, Bartlett, Young

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 10 July 22 13:50 BST (UK) »
I have several in my tree born in India.  This is the first time I have come across naturalisation
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline Biggles50

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 10 July 22 21:21 BST (UK) »
My Great Grandfather was born there in 1873 to his Welsh Father and Irish Mother.

First thoughts of Naturalisation was the child of a British Soldier and a locally born Mother?

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 10 July 22 21:31 BST (UK) »
Mum was born in London.

Offline mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 10 July 22 21:58 BST (UK) »
Perhaps he had lost it for some reason?

Wiki has

“ British Nationality and Status of Aliens Act 1914
Edit

This legislation came into force on 1 January 1915 as 4&5 Geo. c.17.[3] British subject status was acquired as follows:

birth within His Majesty's dominions
naturalisation in the United Kingdom or a part of His Majesty's dominions which had adopted Imperial naturalisation criteria
descent through the legitimate male line (child born outside His Majesty's dominions to a British subject father). This was limited to one generation although further legislation in 1922 allowed subsequent generations born overseas to be registered as British subjects within one year of birth.
foreign women who married British subject men
former British subjects who had lost British subject status on marriage or through a parent's loss of status could resume it in specific circumstances (e.g. if a woman became widowed, or children immediately upon turning 21).
British subject status was normally lost by:

naturalisation in a foreign state
in the case of a woman, upon marriage to a foreign man. Prior to 1933, British subject status was lost even if the woman did not acquire her husband's nationality.
a child of a father who lost British subject status, provided the child also had the father's new nationality.
renunciation.”

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 10 July 22 22:04 BST (UK) »
I have seen nothing suggesting his dad lost his British nationality.  They guy in question was born within her Majesty's Dominions as they were at the time of his birth.  I have found nothing to suggest he became naturalised elsewhere, he was serving in the British Army up to the point of this naturalisation.

Offline Seesure

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 12 July 22 11:00 BST (UK) »
I had to be Naturalised when I was about 7 years old.

I was born in Singapore on the RAF base there in 1964, both parents were serving in the RAF at the time.

However it was explained to me that although both my parents were holders of British passports it was because I was 3rd generation male born outside of the UK. My father was born in India, my grandfather also in India but my great grandfather was born in Great Yarmouth and his father in Ireland.

All of them had served in the British military (ggrandfather won the DCM in the Boer war) but it was this rule of 3rd generation that was the sticking point.

I know it took an age for the Home Office to finally allow me to be naturalised and become a British passport holder. All of my mother's family were from the UK as far back as they could check but it counted for nothing.

At one point I was under the threat of being transported to Singapore as that was the country of my birth, despite being born on a British military base in the hospital etc etc.....

I still have the certificate which I've had to produce a few times over the years when applying for various things which need proof of identity and citizenship.

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 12 July 22 11:03 BST (UK) »
I would expect it for people born more recently, ie since the break up of the empire.  I was confused as this person was born in 1890.  Also his grandfather was born in the UK.