Author Topic: Elizabeth BATE of Tintagel/St. Teath  (Read 166 times)

Offline Trevellian

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Elizabeth BATE of Tintagel/St. Teath
« on: Tuesday 12 July 22 11:04 BST (UK) »
Hi,

This is a bit of a long shot but I was wondering if anyone could find anything more about my 6x g-grandmother Elizabeth Bate, (especially when/where baptised and to whom). She married Edward Sloggett (bp. 17 Mar 1733, St. Teath, bur. 31 Dec 1812), on the 6 August 1772, Tintagel, and they had 8 children:

- Edward, bp. 19 Aug 1773, St. Teath
- George, bp. 17 Sep 1774, St. Teath
- Susanna, bp. 19 Sep 1776, St. Teath
- Catherine, bp. 20 Apr 1779, St. Teath
- Mary, bp. 31 Oct 1784, St. Teath
- Elizabeth, bp. 28 Oct 1787, St. Teath
- Aaron, bp. 20 Dec 1789, St. Teath

Given the Sloggetts (who I have traced extensively) were from St. Teath for generations, and they married in Tintagel, and the tradition of marrying in the bride's hometown, I am presuming Elizabeth was from Tintagel, but I can't find any baptism that I can be confident is definitely her.

I have found however a burial for an Elizabeth Sloggett on the 28 November 1803 in St. Teath which seems the most likely out of all the burial entries, but no age is given at the time of death so it brings me no closer to the birth.

I would be very grateful if anyone could find anything else or had any further suggestions.

Thank you!
The Sloggetts of St. Teath/St. Minver; Sloggetts of Australia; Sloggetts of America; Winns of Mabe/Helston; Winns of America; Rowes of St. Blazey/Par; Angoves of Illogan; Tregarthens of the Scilly Isles; Billings of St. Breward; Martins of St. Gluvias; Haydons of Dartmouth; Brownsons of Stoke Fleming; Boyens of Poplar/West Ham/Surrey; Boyens of New Zealand; Boyens of Australia; Emblens of Hampshire/Sussex/London; Wrights of London; Greens of Preston; Hemphills and McKerrachers of Scotland.

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Elizabeth BATE of Tintagel/St. Teath
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 12 July 22 11:31 BST (UK) »
As Edwards parents were Edward & Susanna, that might (or might not) indicate that Elizabeths parents were George & Catherine, possible marriage for them below.

George BATE to Catharine HENWOOD 26 Jul 1746 St Teath: St Tetha

Elizabeth Bate - Baptism 20 Oct 1750
Saint Teath, Cornwall, Father George Bate

Colin

Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 12 July 22 11:34 BST (UK) »
Oh dear looks like the first Elizabeth died?

Elizabeth Bate
Baptism Date:   1 Jul 1753
Baptism Place:   Saint Teath, Cornwall.
Father:   George Bate
Mother:   Catharine

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 12 July 22 11:42 BST (UK) »
It looks like George and Catherine moved to Tintagel, they had children baptised there from 1758.

Colin