Author Topic: Where is my great grandfather???  (Read 4702 times)

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Where is my great grandfather???
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 13 July 22 09:33 BST (UK) »
I don't think is anything to do with you.....at all. Neale has hit the nail on the head in saying SMH. For some reason the newspapers are saying different things to what is recorded on the passenger lists themselves.

Had a similar experience in NZ newspaper reports of the voyage that part of my Irish family on to NZ.  The Newspapers at the time reported XYZ (all the cabin passengers) and '120 unnamed Irish immigrants'.  That stymied my mother in her quest for years until passenger lists came on line and we found the family listed with the other 116 'named' Irish immigrants. For some reason the paper had not published the names of the others, confining itself to those in the cabins.   

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 13 July 22 10:12 BST (UK) »
Well found Jon- at least we know they cam eback from Oz,when Joseph was just 2 years old.

Can we find them going back again?

Carol
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 13 July 22 10:34 BST (UK) »
Well found Jon- at least we know they cam eback from Oz,when Joseph was just 2 years old.

Can we find them going back again?

They disembarked at Fremantle on 21st July - they did not go on to London.
They were with others travelling between Sydney or Melbourne or Adelaide and Fremantle. About 70 people disembarked in Western Australia.

ADDED. Any child under the age of 12 is recorded as “ master” or “Miss”. No specific ages recorded.
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 13 July 22 18:24 BST (UK) »
Apologies for the rant :-[
John

Offline Andrea Pea

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 14 July 22 03:21 BST (UK) »
Dundee. Thank you for that. We know he was brought out from the uk to work at Lithgow arms. I applied to Lithgow arms several years back for info re Joseph. I also applied to the NAA. Both said they had nothing on him. Although they may have details locked up in defence records but I’d need his full date of birth.
On my grandfathers birth cert it has Joseph 37 & May 29. Joseph is Grinder, Engineering and they were both born and married…in Birmingham 1908.

Offline Andrea Pea

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 14 July 22 03:27 BST (UK) »
Jonw65.  Thankyou so much for info of Joseph and May disembarking in Fremantle. We had no idea of when they got to WA. Seems ill direct all my info from now on to trove. Ancestry snd others have been hopeless 🙄

Offline Andrea Pea

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 14 July 22 03:35 BST (UK) »
ShaunJ. Yes the tree that says Joseph’s fathers name is John is my cousins and I've told her it’s incorrect. On Joseph’s death cert it’s says Phillip and Phoebe.

Offline Andrea Pea

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 14 July 22 03:37 BST (UK) »
Tickettyboo.  So many Joseph Parkes went to australia. But as I don’t have his actual birthdate, and all certs I have give different years of age…it’s hard to work out who’s who ☹️
May was on a 1901 uk census but not on the next. I’m now trolling thru Australian census trying to find them.

Offline Andrea Pea

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 14 July 22 03:41 BST (UK) »
Johnw65. Wow. Thank you. I emailed archives Re shipping here in Perth WA and national looking for them. Both said they have nothing. I might just send that back to them, and tell them they should look harder.
I didn’t know trove has all that info.