Author Topic: Looking for George Polson's parents  (Read 662 times)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for George Polson's parents
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 13 July 22 19:54 BST (UK) »
If George was deceased by 1867- would it show Isabella as the relic/relict/widow of George?  It's odd there is no death for him in Sutherland between 1841-1851 and that Isabella's death cert describes her as the wife - not widow
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline aspin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • What a Lad What a miss
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 13 July 22 20:19 BST (UK) »
Sorry about that Carol she is the widow of George

Elizabeth
McKenzie,Helmsdale.,Mackay's,Gordon's,Polsons,Sutherland's,Loth & N/Z .Watson ,Munro,Pitsligo.Black. Harle ,East Hollywell.Black,and Short East Hollywell.Northumberland Gair, Amble,Douglas,Amble,Mitchell ,Fettercairns,Lyall, Brechin .Mearns Brechin.Thompson's ,Spittal. Maghie,Young .Raey Cumberland & Newcastle & Glasgow .Gilroy, Northumberland. Stark's Kyloe & Tweedmouth .Skeen's Tweedmouth.Gregsons Northumberland & America. Andrew Farmer Turnbull Berwick , Pool and Black Hull.Lounton Tweedmouth

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 14 July 22 01:24 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately, deaths recorded in Scotland are few & far between prior to 1855.

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline aspin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • What a Lad What a miss
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 14 July 22 08:22 BST (UK) »
Some one has got his death in Ancestry on my family tree and the wrong family George and Helen
I am annoyed at that

I found that late last night so will have another look later

Thank you for this information
Elizabeth
McKenzie,Helmsdale.,Mackay's,Gordon's,Polsons,Sutherland's,Loth & N/Z .Watson ,Munro,Pitsligo.Black. Harle ,East Hollywell.Black,and Short East Hollywell.Northumberland Gair, Amble,Douglas,Amble,Mitchell ,Fettercairns,Lyall, Brechin .Mearns Brechin.Thompson's ,Spittal. Maghie,Young .Raey Cumberland & Newcastle & Glasgow .Gilroy, Northumberland. Stark's Kyloe & Tweedmouth .Skeen's Tweedmouth.Gregsons Northumberland & America. Andrew Farmer Turnbull Berwick , Pool and Black Hull.Lounton Tweedmouth

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 14 July 22 08:55 BST (UK) »
Some one has got his death in Ancestry on my family tree and the wrong family George and Helen
I am annoyed at that
That, unfortunately, is a classic case of wrong information on Ancestry, the world's greatest repository of genealogical disinformation and misinformation.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 14 July 22 10:48 BST (UK) »
I note the death of Isobel, who was born about 1785, if George was born about the same time, the baptism records on SP at Kildonan do not begin until 1791. I do not see a baptism elsewhere for Isobel, and I posted the only one in Scotland for George earlier.

There are death records at Loth 1830 - 1849 no George but there are 12 Polson's.

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 14 July 22 23:18 BST (UK) »
Barbara's death aged 11 months 21.9.1858  ( this seems odd ) informant is Brother John
Barbara parents are Donald and Barbara
You don't explain what's 'odd'?
From your info. John was born 1835 i.e. he'd be 22-23 yrs old.
I was only 23 yrs old when I registered my mothers; death...
or
Do you believe Barbara was the child of Isabella, the sister of John?

More odd is the birth entry on FS...https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FQZC-541

Barbara is born in both Kildonan Bute & Kildonan, Sutherland  ???

As mentioned by Forfarian below re Ancestry, FS is also full of errors...

The entry on SP is...POLSON BARBARA - 1857 - 052/ 56 Kildonan (Sutherland)

If you send me a PM with your email address I will forward it on, Donald signed as Father which may/may not be fact?

a classic case of wrong information on Ancestry, the world's greatest repository of genealogical disinformation and misinformation.
Don't you mean someone has his death in Ancestry on their family tree rather than yours?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 15 July 22 09:01 BST (UK) »
More odd is the birth entry on FS...https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FQZC-541
Barbara is born in both Kildonan Bute & Kildonan, Sutherland  ???
As mentioned by Forfarian below re Ancestry, FS is also full of errors...
Obviously this information has been tampered with by some cleverclogs who is ignorant of the fact that there are (at least) two (actually there are about half a dozen) completely different places in Scotland, hundreds of miles apart, both called Kildonan.

Yes, FS is full of this sort of error, just like Ancestry. So are GenesReunited, FindMyPast, MyHeritage and a host of other commercial web sites. They all copy/index/mirror/transcribe the same original data, most of which is only available at www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk.

More insidious is the fact that there are so many items available at Scotland's People that have been completely omitted from copies/indexes/mirrors/transcriptions by all of the commercial web sites.

Hence my tedious mantra: never trust anything you find online unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary as mistakes can and do occur.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline aspin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • What a Lad What a miss
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 15 July 22 11:02 BST (UK) »
I'm reading through from Late last night again
When I had a thought my very distant cousin I found from New Zealand wrote a family book Kith and Kin
A long time ago I entered about one of our relative on Rootschat regarding the Polson family she replies within minutes of my posting and sent me the book

Its been very helpful .
We have met both here in the UK when they  visited Scotland and spent the night with us  and in New Zealand too while on a cruise we met her husband who took me to my great Uncles grave. I emailed her last night and had a quick reply with two pages of The Polson family this morning  .Little did I know some items I have been looking for are in the book
So once more thank you all for your reply posts

as said I never copy anyone else's family I must have spent a fortune in credits from S/P .But I keep my documents in folders and don't mind helping other family members

Forfarian I remember you telling me this before about errors made on other sites
Many thanks no dought Ill be back for more help

Elizabeth