Author Topic: Decoding Coat of Arms  (Read 2180 times)

Offline jhallai

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Decoding Coat of Arms
« on: Thursday 14 July 22 03:41 BST (UK) »
Hello everyone! Would anyone know what the attached coat of arms represents/means? Thank you so much!

Offline Kiltpin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stand and be Counted
    • View Profile
Re: Decoding Coat of Arms
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 14 July 22 21:08 BST (UK) »
There is a very great misconception amongst the general public that coats of arms have a meaning (hidden or otherwise).  Although there are some charges that might have a meaning to the bearer, as a general rule of thumb there is no meaning - at all. 

In the earliest times, shields had geometric shapes or animals (often mythical). The shield had to be easily recognizable. No one wanted to be killed because they were mistaken for someone else. 

Later, tradesmen started to use arms. All types of tools were represented on shields. They could be said to have meaning, as they gave a clue to the trade of the owner. But as arms are inheritable, the son might not follow the same trade as the father and the meaning would no longer be pertinent. 

As to your shield - 
The vertical lines indicate that the field was red. Or, it indicates that the field had vertical stripes, it is impossible to tell. 
The stripe is called a bend sinister (sinister means to the wearer's left) 
On the bend sinister are three mullets of six points (the default is five points. If there are more than five, it must be stated). 
The scrolly stuff on the outside of the shield is just artisrty and means nothing. 
The crown might indicate the bearer was a noble, Or again it could just be an artistic embellishment. 

A bit more information as to whom the arms belonged and where in the world they came from, might yeald further clues. 

Regards 

Chas
Whannell - Eaton - Jackson
India - Scotland - Australia

Offline Stanwix England

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Hopeless scatterbrain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 15 July 22 00:58 BST (UK) »
Using what Kiltpin kindly explained I had a google, and searching for 'bend sinister with three mullets of six points' brought me the following information.

https://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/heraldry/siebmacher/mullet-3-or.html

This is an ongoing project to create an exhaustive ordinary of Johann Siebmacher's Wappenbuch from 1605. I am working from the digitization of it available here. If you find any error, please let me know. As a work in progress, it will be updated as I have time.

All blazons are my own. Note that in some cases, shields with a helmet facing sinister have had their arms reversed as well (e.g., a bend is displayed as a bend sinister, the tinctures of the field reversed, etc. So if you think you've found an error, double check the helm on top!) Each blazon is identified with the name of the owner as it appears in Siebmacher, with these conventions: I have transcribed vocalic v as u, and expanded ē, Gē:, and V̄ to en, genannt, and Von, respectively. The number in parentheses is the plate number on which the arms occur.

Then it says

Gules, on a bend sinister argent, three mullets of six points
attributed to Rödern'

Which leads to the following image.

https://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/heraldry/siebmacher/36-vonroedern.jpg

Looking for 'Rödern Crest' I also found the following.

https://coadb.com/surnames-rough/rodern-coat-of-arms-family-crest

I have no idea if it's a match with what you have there.

EDIT: A couple more examples to be found here.

https://www.zvab.com/buch-suchen/titel/r%F6dern-wappen-coat-arms-heraldry/
;D Doing my best, but frequently wrong ;D
:-* My thanks to everyone who helps me, you are all marvellous :-*

Offline jhallai

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 15 July 22 01:23 BST (UK) »
Thank you Kiltpin and Stanwix England, really useful information.

I should have provided more context. The picture is from a cufflink of my late father. I just came across this while organizing his things and had never seen it before. He lived his entire life in Brazil but did travel to Germany twice, so maybe that's when he got these? Not sure why he'd have these cufflinks from a random German family. His father was Hungarian.

Thanks again!