Author Topic: Moneghans & Bentincks of Glasslough, Co.Moneghan  (Read 2627 times)

Offline tikki_nik2

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Moneghans & Bentincks of Glasslough, Co.Moneghan
« on: Monday 05 September 05 12:56 BST (UK) »
Can any one give me any suggestions for researching my great great frandmother - Therese Monaghan. I am told she was born in Glasslough, Co. Monghan abt. 1861. She married a James George Moore from Antrim in Newcastle in 1885.
According to the marriage certificate her father was named Francis and she had a sister Winifred.

Family ledgend claims that Therese Monaghan's mother was Spanish and related to Lady Prudence Penelope  Bentinck (2nd daughter of Colonel Powell Leslie) through the Scottish line. My great grandmother met Lady Pru when she was a young girl.

Apparently my grandad met an Uncle Mohammed, who was also related through this connection to the Bentincks, from the time that Lord George was Consul in Spanish Morocco.

I am told most of the Monaghan family moved to Manchester to find work

Also apparently Therese Monaghan was governess to the Duke & Duchess of Fife's two children, when young. She lived in Belguim with them and learnt to speak french. We think she may have got this job through her family connections.

I would love to find out more about this rather confused story and find birth, marriage, death, and any remaining census records to prove it if possible. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Nikki
Bucks - Chapman, Garnett, Munday, Smith, Hains, Field, Mayo, Glassington
Cambs - Turner, Alsop
London/Surrey/Middlesex - Floden, Sheppard, Parsons, Luckett, Smith, Martyn, March
Liecs - Winterton, Kirby, Harrison, Measures, Lowe, Smith, Warden, Oldham, Church
Northumberland - Back, Archbold, Elliot, Gibson, Thompson
Herts - March, Law, Adkins, Cooke, Grant
Sussex - Young, Saunders, Hayward, Bollard

Offline tikki_nik2

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Monaghans & Bentincks of Glasslough, Co.Moneghan
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 18 January 07 11:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I have found the family of my Theresa living in england in 1851. Her parents were Francis Monaghan and Sarah Ryan. They had two children born in Co Monaghan - John, abt 1842, Anne, abt 1846, their next child Hugh was born in Ovingham, Northumberland in 1848. This means they must have moved over in abt 1847. As previously mentioned family ledgend states the family were from Glasslough. Francis was b. abt 1822, Sarah abt. 1825. I am told Sarah had Spanish/Moorish origins, and although most of her childrens birth certificate states her maiden name as Ryan, she is also refered to as Sarah Serrano in one record.

If anyone can suggest how I can find out more, for instance birth records for or a marriage record that would be grately appreciated. They were Catholics.

Many thanks

Nikki
Bucks - Chapman, Garnett, Munday, Smith, Hains, Field, Mayo, Glassington
Cambs - Turner, Alsop
London/Surrey/Middlesex - Floden, Sheppard, Parsons, Luckett, Smith, Martyn, March
Liecs - Winterton, Kirby, Harrison, Measures, Lowe, Smith, Warden, Oldham, Church
Northumberland - Back, Archbold, Elliot, Gibson, Thompson
Herts - March, Law, Adkins, Cooke, Grant
Sussex - Young, Saunders, Hayward, Bollard

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: Moneghans & Bentincks of Glasslough, Co.Moneghan
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 23 February 08 15:00 GMT (UK) »
Hello Nikki,

Aberdeen University, Special Libraries and Archives, holds 13th-20th cent: title deeds, family and estate papers for Mar Lodge which was one of the estates belonging to the Duff family ... Earls Fife. 

The National Library of Ireland and the Public Records Office in Belfast both hold documents and papers relating to the Leslie family, Baronets, of Glaslough.

Christopher