Author Topic: Widow Scarf of Arwarton  (Read 557 times)

Online windy_miller

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Widow Scarf of Arwarton
« on: Thursday 21 July 22 16:23 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone,

I'm looking for any info on a Widow Scarf who was alive in 1765 and lived at Arwarton (I had to look it up!), an very small hamlet on the Shotley peninsula, and not too distant from Chelmondiston.

Ideally who was he husband and when did he died.  I think this is a tall order given the scant info I have.

Windy.

PS There might be a link with a William Truelove from Harwich?
windmills, watermills, steam-mills, bark-mills, cotton mills, &c. millwrights & millers

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Widow Scarf of Arwarton
« Reply #1 on: Friday 22 July 22 01:03 BST (UK) »
William Truelove of Harwich died 1765, is your reference to a will ?

Online windy_miller

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 22 July 22 09:40 BST (UK) »
No.  Nearly correct, its relating to a mill, with Widow Scarfe being the occupier.  Its not clear what his relationship to her or the mill, but he appears to have been a baker.

Is there a Will out there?  May be it mentions the Scarfs in that (if they are related)?

WM
windmills, watermills, steam-mills, bark-mills, cotton mills, &c. millwrights & millers

Online mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 22 July 22 09:54 BST (UK) »
Possible Will at Suffolk Archives - although of Ipswich. But year seems good.

https://www.suffolkarchives.co.uk/collections/getrecord/GB173_IC_AA1_188_50

I bought one from them recently. It was 6 pages and cost me £9. Beatifully copied/photographed.

Online windy_miller

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 22 July 22 11:49 BST (UK) »
Thanks.  I'll look into it.

BTW do you know if the Scarfs are mentioned in the will or a mill before I fork out £9 on something that does not help me?

WM

Offline gobbitt

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 22 July 22 13:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Windy

Your data would seem to come from the Ipswich Journal, as given in one of the "Historical Snippets" at http://thethreecups.com/historical-snippets about an inn named the Three Cups in Harwich:

To be SOLD to the best bidder, at the Sign of the Three Cups in Harwich, on the tenth of May, between the hours of two and five in the afternoon. A WINDMILL, about three or four years old, with all its appurtenances, situated at Arwarton, near Shotley - Gate in Suffolk, now in the occupation of widow Scarf. For further particulars enquire of Mr. Wm. Truelove, Baker, in Harwich. (The Ipswich Journal, 4th May 1765)

In Suffolk FHS transcripts and elsewhere nowadays, Arwarton is Erwarton, where Susan(nah) Coe married widower Jeremiah Scarfe in 1759. Their son James, baptised there in 1760, may have been buried at Chelmondiston in 1827 aged 68, having married Mary Lukess [Lucas?] at Erwarton in 1783 ("Scarffe"). Jeremiah Scarfe ("from gaol") was buried at Ipswich St Matthew on 21 May 1764. I don't know whether any of these people were millers but I see no more likely candidates.

David

Online windy_miller

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 22 July 22 21:58 BST (UK) »
Yes, it comes from an adverrt in the Ipswich Journal off the BNA site.

And thank you, you seem to have found her husband, now all I need to do is find out if he had the mill before his widow was occupier (highly probable).

I'm trying to research pre-1800 windmills & millers in Suffolk and the BNA has proved pretty useful, but there are about 500 mill sites in Suffolk and I end up flitting from village to village.  Its a life-long job I think!

Windy

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 22 July 22 22:59 BST (UK) »
Now I'm curious as to what Jeremiah did !

Online windy_miller

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 22 July 22 23:11 BST (UK) »
No evidence yet, but many millers went bankrupt, and those that tried to hid some of their assets before the Commisioners often ended up in gaol.  I'll need to research, but suspect we will never know.  Certainly nothing in the Ipswich Journal I could find.

WM