Author Topic: Cuckoo Road, Spalding  (Read 9419 times)

Offline consort

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Cuckoo Road, Spalding
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 13 September 08 19:16 BST (UK) »
Hello Helen,

I run Welbys Farm on Horseshoe Road. I understand that it was owned by George Welby. I know nothing of the Chappell conection. The Lincs (Holland) County Council purchased the farm in 1893, which I think co incided with George's death. They paid £3750 for 88 acres. It was originally called Fen Farm, but was renamed after its previous owner.
We came to the farm in 1959, & were told that our official address was Cuckoo Road, Spalding. It was still Cuckoo Road in 1970, but was joined to Horseshoe Road at a later date.
I personally demolished the farmhouse & buildings

Offline An65

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 14 September 08 18:55 BST (UK) »
Hate to be cheeky but I wonder if anyone has any idea where Jockey Drove, Pinchbeck West was abt 1901? My grandad was born there........

Offline consort

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 14 September 08 19:02 BST (UK) »
Jockey Drove is the same as Starlode Drove, W Pinchbeck.

Hope this helps

Offline An65

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 14 September 08 19:29 BST (UK) »
Many Thanks x

Offline armadale

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Holmes Family, Potato Farm, Clay Lake, Spalding
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 09 May 10 14:49 BST (UK) »
Sorry but I was wondering whether anyone might be able to help me.

I am doing research on history of the Holmes family from the Spalding area. In particular I wondered whether anyone knows of the Holmes family that used to have a potato farm in Spalding in the 1930s. And whether someone called Cyril Holmes (b. maybe born around 1910?) lived there.

I found an online Kelly's Directory (1919) and it says a James Holmes, farmer, lived at Clay Lake – which from the aerial map looks semi-rural. I wondered whether anyone remembers that place. I checked and there seems to be a potato farm around there even now - but owned by a different family.

I found out that in 1934 a Cyril Arthur Holmes lived in Carrington Road, Spalding and was a railway clerk (presumably at local station?). He was married to someone called Helen Garwell (there are a couple of Garwells locally - one is a corn and flour merchant at 1 High Street and the other is a publican called Banjamin Garwell at the Cross Keys Inn). They had a son called Michael Holmes (b. early 1930s) who apparently later joined the army. Think this part of the family moved away to Kettering. I’m only guessing, but I think these Holmes might be related to the Clay Lake potato farmers who lived nearby. Can anybody help? Or know who to ask?

Sorry to be so speculative. Any advice or local knowledge very much appreciated.

Many thanks.

Offline gosbertonboy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 26 October 11 13:36 BST (UK) »
On 9th May 2010 "Armadale" wrote <<I am doing research on history of the Holmes family from the Spalding area. In particular I wondered whether anyone knows of the Holmes family that used to have a potato farm in Spalding in the 1930s. And whether someone called Cyril Holmes (b. maybe born around 1910?) lived there.

I found an online Kelly's Directory (1919) and it says a James Holmes, farmer, lived at Clay Lake – which from the aerial map looks semi-rural. I wondered whether anyone remembers that place. I checked and there seems to be a potato farm around there even now - but owned by a different family.

I found out that in 1934 a Cyril Arthur Holmes lived in Carrington Road, Spalding and was a railway clerk (presumably at local station?). He was married to someone called Helen Garwell (there are a couple of Garwells locally - one is a corn and flour merchant at 1 High Street and the other is a publican called Banjamin Garwell at the Cross Keys Inn). They had a son called Michael Holmes (b. early 1930s) who apparently later joined the army. Think this part of the family moved away to Kettering. I’m only guessing, but I think these Holmes might be related to the Clay Lake potato farmers who lived nearby. Can anybody help? Or know who to ask? >>

Armadale, you might already know this - the 1911 Census includes in the family of Arthur George (& wife Sarah) HOLMES several children including "Cyril Arthur" aged 10 years(therefore born abt 1901). Cyril's father worked as a << Railway Goods Guard >> for the Midland(s) & Gt Northern railway. They lived at what looks like 43 Havelock street, Spalding.

Regarding the James HOLMES & Clay Lake in the '11 census a 30 y/o single man farmed << Clay Lake Farm, Spalding >>. This James "might be a James HOLMES in my own tree but he is 3 years too young! Also My James had been in S Africa (building railways coincidentally) but so far I've not been able to track (no pun) down when he left and returned to England but I know that he married  in about June 1912 in Spalding area.

Perhaps this will help you?

Offline Geordie daughter

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 21 September 21 16:43 BST (UK) »
In 1913 Daisy Chappell (b. 1889) of Pode Hole married Samuel William Creek (b.1888) who was a horseman on a farm, and they were living at "Cuckoo" by 1939, if this is of any interest/use to anyone who has posted on this thread. Samuel's family were at Cuckoo Bridge in 1901, and his father was a farm labourer.

Offline phil57

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 05 October 21 11:47 BST (UK) »
May be a bit late now, but I found this page helpful whilst researching my Spalding and Pinchbeck ancestors:

https://www.heritagesouthholland.co.uk/article/did-you-know-series-origins-of-spalding-road-names/
Stokes - London and Essex
Hodges - Somerset
Murden - Notts
Humphries/Humphreys from Montgomeryshire