Author Topic: Frances Wife of Edward LAWES. say 1750-1810  (Read 641 times)

Online mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Frances Wife of Edward LAWES. say 1750-1810
« on: Friday 22 July 22 06:27 BST (UK) »
Sorry for this long post. I do not want to know about the descendants of this family, other than I have particularly asked. I am interested in the collateral lines.
I am trying to sort out this family as part of my endeavour to cast the net sufficiently  to identify John MORGAN (1784-1803) of the Inner Temple.  (Still failing)

Edward LAWES baptised as LAWS 23 October 1754 at St George the Martyr, Queen Square Camden
son of Thomas and Ann LAWS

I haven’t sorted out all his siblings yet, but he had a brother Vitruvius LAWES baptised 8 May 1759 at St Sepulchre, City of London

Edward married at some point to Frances.   

They had the following children (found so far)   (all baptised at St Dunstan’s in the West)

Christopher Robert LAWES bapt 1778  death not found, but probably before 1783
Kitty Hannah LAWES. 1780-1846  baptised as Kitty, died as Kitty Hannah -She died unmarried
Edward Hobson Vitruvius LAWES 1781-1849.
Christopher Hobson LAWES 1783 - death not found but must be before 1830 when Uncle Vitruvius wrote his will as he is not named.
Frances Hobson LAWES 1785-1845 died unmarried
Frederick Hobson LAWES 1786-1787
William Hobson LAWES 1789-1789
William Cooke Hobson LAWES 1790-1840
Vitruvius LAWES 1793 -  death not found. He died abt 1835. "Formerly of Calcutta, Attorney at Law, but late of Prince of Wales Island, Solicitor, deceased”

Problem 1.
Everyone’  has Frances as Frances HOBSON, presumably because of Hobson being just about everyone’s second name.
However - I cannot find any marriage between an Edward LAWES and a Frances HOBSON

What I can find, is this in the obituaries for Edward Hobson Vitruvius LAWES

“His father was an attorney in partnership with a gentleman of the name of Hobson, of whom it is inscribed upon a tablet in St Dunstan’s church, Fleet-street, that he was an ‘honest attorney

Looking at wills I found one for Christopher HOBSON of Cliffords Inn, proved 26 Jan 1791. His obit says he was 77. So born about 1714

From the will I can say
He has no  children.
He has step daughters  Mary, Kitty & Hannah REEVE
He had a brother Richard, who had a son Christopher - Christopher is his main beneficiary
He has a brother-in-law John HODGSON (something like that anyway) who has sons John & Isaac.

He left a Ring to  of the value of 10 guineas to Edward LAWES of Clifford Inn gentleman and he also gave him £50

He does not mention a daughter Frances. Nor a sister Frances, nor does he identify Edward LAWES as a brother-in-law.

So I feel that both identifies where the HOBSON comes from and rules out Frances being a HOBSON

There is a marriage at St Anne’s Soho of a Frances SALING to an Edward LAWES 16th May 1777
witnesses Robert LAYTON and Frances SALING. This would fit with a first child being baptised 11 August 1778.

Can anyone see an alternative?  I would feel happier if the marriage was at St Dunstan’s.

Problem 2
When did Frances LAWES nee?  die.  She cannot be the 1796 Westminster burial that again, ‘everyone has’, as she proved her husband's will on 30th September 1797!  I cannot see her in the St Dunstan in the West register (that is where her husband was buried) Nor have I found a likely remarriage.
. Burial St Dunstan in the West 31 Dec 1825 age 68. 
Frances SALING was baptised in 1755, so that is looking promising.

Problem 3.
I would like to find the death of Vitruvius baptised 1793, just so that I can write comments on the trees of people who have muddled up all the Vitruviii.
solved.

Online mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Frances Wife of Edward LAWES. say 1750-1810
« Reply #1 on: Friday 22 July 22 06:31 BST (UK) »
Explanation as to why I am interested in this family

After John of the Inner Temple died, his son Richard seems to have administered his estate and on Feb 3rd 1804 the Inner Temple records have

"Mr Edward Hobson Vitruvius Lawes, a member aged 22 last 29 Dec, to be admitted on the assignment  to the chamber two pair up south in the second staircase in Inner Temple Lane for his own life, on the nomination of Mr Richard Morgan , son and administrator of the late John Morgan, Esquire, a barrister of this Society, paying the usual £5 for the same."

LAWES is the surname of John Luttrell-Olmius's mother (Judith Maria LAWES daughter of Sir Nicholas LAWES, Gov of Jamaica)

A daughter of John Morgan of the Inner Temple married John Luttrell-Olmius as his second wife.

Considering Edward Hobson had plenty of legal connections, in particular his Uncle Vitruvius - it seems very odd that Richard should be the one nominating him, Hence my interest. There MUST be some connection.

Online mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 22 July 22 08:34 BST (UK) »
There is a marriage at St Anne’s Soho of a Frances SALING to an Edward LAWES 16th May 1777
witnesses Robert LAYTON and Frances SALING. This would fit with a first child being baptised 11 August 1778.

Robert Layton, was I think the husband of Frances Saling (junior)’s half sister Sarah Saling. She was certainly married to Mr Layton anyway.

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 22 July 22 12:21 BST (UK) »
Siblings to Vitruvius and Edward

Thomas bap 9 July 1757 abode East Street
Elizabeth bap 1 March 1756 abode East Street
------
Not sure about this one
Thomas bap 17 October 1770 parents Thomas and Elizabeth  abode East Street
St George in the East

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 22 July 22 12:39 BST (UK) »
Another sibling whose baptism I haven't found yet.

UPDATED
He was born 5 July 1790 bap 28 August  at St Dunstan's of Edward and Frances

William Cooke Hobson Lawes.

His will of 1840. Wife Mary Ann, brother in law Rev. James Peto ,
care of my sisters to my *brother Edward Hobson Vitruvius Lawes, nephew Edward Lawes (probably son of Edward) nieces Jane Lawes, Maria Lawes, Eliza Lawes.
Brother Edward is also described as his surviving brother, mentions his Uncle's will but does not name him.

ADDEd
He was of Inner Temple London and Pond Street Hampstead

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 22 July 22 12:52 BST (UK) »
William Cook(e) Hobson Lawes of Inner Temple bachelor, to Mary Ann Peto of St Giles Camberwell Surrey. At St Dunstan's 22 October 1822

He was buried St John Camden 25 June 1840 age 50 so born circa 1790

Online mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 22 July 22 19:38 BST (UK) »
Yes William Cooke Hobson was the son of Edward Hobson Vitruvius and grandson of Thomas and Ann. See post 1.

thank you for the Thomas son of Thomas and Elizabeth. I wonder if Ann died at birth of the 1759 Vitruvius. And presumably the earlier Thomas?

London lives has some things about an apprentice of Thomas Laws of East Street, Red Lyon/Lion Square. That Thomas is a carpenter. I wonder how likely that is. Ie would a carpenter have two sons who both became successful attorneys . But East street. I suppose more than one Thomas Lawes could live there….

If that is the case it must surely rule out any connection with the Governor of Jamaica.

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 22 July 22 22:51 BST (UK) »
The name Hobson appears to be in deference to his law partner and nothing more.

Online mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 22 July 22 23:16 BST (UK) »
The name Hobson appears to be in deference to his law partner and nothing more.

Thank you for agreeing with me!

I found a will for an Edward Saling who leaves money to Frances the daughter of his deceased brother James by his second wife.
And James will with a second wife Frances

Unfortunately he died a bit too soon for me to know if Frances Saling’s husband is this particular Edward Lawes. But as I cannot see any other likely marriage I am fancying it.