Author Topic: Ancestry Beta Chromosome Painter  (Read 1228 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Ancestry Beta Chromosome Painter
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 23 July 22 16:14 BST (UK) »
Far more people test with Ancestry than with  My Heritage, so you would have fewer people to match with.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline decor

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 23 July 22 17:00 BST (UK) »
Far more people test with Ancestry than with  My Heritage, so you would have fewer people to match with.

Yes, Gadget, that's exactly what I mean. If Ancestry had a similar chromosome browser, it'd be much more useful!
This information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline rsel

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 24 July 22 14:08 BST (UK) »
I don't know if i missed it before, but there is a survey link on the page, so just given them some very honest feedback about how much a waste of space this is :-)
Sellens - Sussex
Newham - Surrey
Wellington - Dagenham, Essex
Camp - South Essex
Wren - Essex
Livermore - Essex
Wane - Essex
Fisk - Essex / Suffolk
Bailey/Bayley - Sussex
Newton - Sussex
Funnell - Sussex
Streeter - Sussex
Coates - Sussex
Maisey - Surrey

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 24 July 22 15:17 BST (UK) »
I don't know if i missed it before, but there is a survey link on the page, so just given them some very honest feedback about how much a waste of space this is :-)

I have too  and Ive  also told them that their ethnicity estimates are not worth the effort, either  :-X
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Biggles50

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 24 July 22 16:20 BST (UK) »
Whilst My Heritage may have far less than effective members than Ancestry one can get lucky.

With my Ancestry DNA matches I have a whole batch of them originating around Bradford but none would respond.

I joined My Heritage and did their DNA test and I now have three more Bradford family matches who have responded to messages and we are in contact with each other, hence I have far more knowledge of the family through talking to my new Cousins.

It can pay to spread things around.

Offline TonyV

• RootsChat Senior
  • Expect the unexpected (I forgot to!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 24 July 22 23:44 BST (UK) »
I have not been invited to use this beta tool yet but I have read about it elsewhere and like others above I cannot quite see the point of it. Nevertheless I think that we should comment objectively rather than simply critically because ultimately the more tools the merrier.

I believe that Ancestry did have a chromosome browser once but it was so popular that users slowed down their website drastically, so Ancestry removed it. Hopefully as they develop this new tool they might venture back into a browser in due course - maybe when they are able to assign individual matches to parents, which we are told is coming in due course.

Offline rsel

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 27 July 22 20:29 BST (UK) »
I have not been invited to use this beta tool yet but I have read about it elsewhere and like others above I cannot quite see the point of it. Nevertheless I think that we should comment objectively rather than simply critically because ultimately the more tools the merrier.
I didn't get invited, it just under the 'Ethnicity inheritance'  in your DNA story page.

i would like to think my comments were objective, but once you actual get to see the functionality it provides, (which is not a lot) you will see how difficult it is :-)

Richard
Sellens - Sussex
Newham - Surrey
Wellington - Dagenham, Essex
Camp - South Essex
Wren - Essex
Livermore - Essex
Wane - Essex
Fisk - Essex / Suffolk
Bailey/Bayley - Sussex
Newton - Sussex
Funnell - Sussex
Streeter - Sussex
Coates - Sussex
Maisey - Surrey

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 27 July 22 20:53 BST (UK) »
The problem is that 'the more tools the merrier' is not really what we want.  We want useful tools such as a proper chromosome browser, with the ability to compare a number of matches; more colours; less time on ethnicity and more on query options, etc., etc.

Offline TonyV

• RootsChat Senior
  • Expect the unexpected (I forgot to!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 27 July 22 22:10 BST (UK) »
When I first commented, the beta wasn't available to me, but it now is because it was being rolled out in stages. "Invited" was not the right word but I simply meant that not everyone would be able to see it at the time.

Now that I have it I tend to agree that it doesn't seem to add much of value but I disagree that that the earlier ethnicity tools are not what we want. When I tested last year, all my paper research had hitherto shown that I was English on both sides going back at least to the mid 18th century. When my test came back the vast majority of my highest matches live in the USA and come from a community which on further search was descended from the Irish diaspora that went to the USA in the mid 1800s. My ethnicity estimate at the time told me that I was half Irish...go figure!  However, DNA doesn't lie so the ethnicity estimate confirmed the basis of my matches and turned my world upside down.

So, it depends on what you are looking for. Conventional family historians more often than not are simply trying to prove ancestry, to get past brick walls and to add new ancestors. If that's your main need then ethnicity has less value.

I accept that constructive criticism is valid and that Ancestry needs to know whether its tools are useful and helpful or not. On this occasion I agree that this new one doesn't add anything that helps me.