Author Topic: Variation on a name  (Read 571 times)

Offline g eli

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Variation on a name
« on: Friday 22 July 22 17:14 BST (UK) »
I was getting nowhere with my 4th Ggrandmother Ann Wilson, she married 1771 so probably born1748-1755 a few names seemed possible but nothing certain. I was looking at the marriage and noticed that one of the witnesses was Peter Willson. What a difference that extra L made ,there were whole families living there Including Ann with brother Peter and father Peter, Its not proved but definitely more likely, I often use the variation choice but Wilson seemed straightforward so I didn't use it in the first place but it wouldn't have helped , I tried it later and no willson came up. So don't give up, try your own spelling of a common name
Butler Derbyshire & Nottinghamshire
Targoose Lincolnshire : Targus the rest of England
Sollery:Staffordshire & Nottinghamshire
Saunders,  Phillips: Wiltshire
Oldknow: Derbyshire & Nottinghamshire
Hirons or Hiorns: Friswell: Whitmore: Warwickshire
Tanser: Leicestershire & Warwickshire
Kidger: Buxton: Cramp:Leicestershire
Goodall:Griffin: Ford:Minton:Derbyshire
Cormack:Dunn: Scotland
Taylor:Nottinghamshire
Fletcher Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire Staffordshire

Offline Stanwix England

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Hopeless scatterbrain
    • View Profile
Re: Variation on a name
« Reply #1 on: Friday 22 July 22 17:46 BST (UK) »
Really glad you made that break through. It can be frustrating when you realise something like that has held you back.
;D Doing my best, but frequently wrong ;D
:-* My thanks to everyone who helps me, you are all marvellous :-*

Offline Andrew Tarr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Wanted: Charles Percy Liversidge
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 23 July 22 09:40 BST (UK) »
With no offence meant, that is a fairly obvious alternative to try.  Not so simple when you discover an ancestor has been recorded (in 1806) as Pearson when their true name was Piercy  >:(

Deaf recorders of words spoken in an unfamiliar dialect may be a likely explanation - but not in your case.  Names were probably written in a familiar form; familiar to the writer, that is.
Tarr, Tydeman, Liversidge, Bartlett, Young

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 23 July 22 09:56 BST (UK) »
As I am fond of stating:
Spelling is an Art-Form, not a Science ;)

Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 24 July 22 21:35 BST (UK) »
A long time ago, I read that it is sometimes worth holding your nose while saying a name.  It gives an idea of how it might otherwise be heard.  Accents, head colds, hard-of-hearing (amongst other things) are all factors to consider when trying to think of variations.  And then there is always the weird random one from left field that is so odd - but somehow obvious once pointed out - that provides a chance to break down that brick wall.

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Kiltpin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stand and be Counted
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 25 July 22 09:05 BST (UK) »
One of my regular searches is the name Whannell. It is a highland Gaelic name - the original root name of Donal/MacDonal, which later became Donald/MacDonald. 

That's all well and good, but the problem comes from the pronunciation. In Scotland and especially the Highlands, it is pronounced Whonnell. Then it is an easy step to spelling it that way. Once they get a taste for changing their name, it starts to become a habit. I have one branch that glories in the name Windmill! 

Regards 

Chas
Whannell - Eaton - Jackson
India - Scotland - Australia