Author Topic: Depear family of Spalding  (Read 827 times)

Offline alexreg

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Depear family of Spalding
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 07 February 23 16:50 GMT (UK) »
The book is well worth having and is available online. Just search on "The River Makers"

I don't know if it applied elsewhere or earlier but, around 1700, my wife's Huguenot ancestors recieved refugee benefits in London, and gave their origins as Poitou in France.

There was a Matthew De Pere who married Rebecca Fisher in Moulton, Lincolnshire, on 10 July 1704, who had a son John Depear in 1710. Although a bit earlier, there was a Mathieu De Lespiere born at Thorney in 1669

Baptisms at Thorney: Parents Jean and Ester Iserby/Yserby
Mathieu de Lespiere 4 April 1669
Jean De Lespierre or Lespiere 21 Jul 1672
Joel de Lespierre 10 Jan 1674
Mathieu Yserby 21 Jul 1663 son of Mathieu and Ester Pinchion

Other similar surnames:-
Thorney: Parents Daniel and Anne Le Roy
Daniel De Lespierre 30 Oct 1692
David De Lespierre 28 Oct 1694
David De Lespierre 25 Oct 1695
Jean de Lespierre Or de Lespiere 19 Dec 1697
Benjamin De Lespierre 17 Dec 1699
Benjamin De Lespierre 13 Jul 1701

Canterbury: Parents Francois and Ester Masquelier
Marie de le Pierre 18 Jul 1669 at
Cornille de le Piere 25 Jun 1671

Sandtoft: Parents Joel and Marie Lermite
Ann de Lepiere 16 Nov 1651

Thorney: Parents Joel and Marie Lermite
Daniel Lespiere Or de le Spiere 18 Mar 1659
Susanne de Lespiere 8 Mar 1662
Ester de Lespiere 15 Dec 1667

David

Yes, the "Matthew De Piere" who married Rebecca Fisher in 1704 in Moulton is the one and same Mathieu de Lespiere born 1669 in Thorney to Jean de Lespiere and Esther Yserby. (That was his second marriage, so the timeline fits nicely in any case.) As for Mathieu's brothers, there is no record of a Daniel (the one born 1692 to Daniel de Lespiere and Anne le Roy moved to Crowland and died there), but I strongly suspect the one who married Judith Fisher in 1713 in Moulton was a younger brother of Matthew/Mathieu, and probably born in Moulton. In fact, I might guess Jean de Lespiere and his family relocated from Thorney to Moulton shortly after his first three children were born, though I have no hard proof of this. The Jean de Lespiere junior born 1672 probably died young, where as Joel de Lespiere born 1675 in Thorney is later recorded in Moulton, with a wife Elizabeth. He died there in 1736, and by all accounts seems to have followed the Baptist faith of his wife Elizabeth.

There are a number of individuals with the surnames "De Lespiere", "De Le Piere", "Du Pire", etc. recorded in the French Church of Canterbury from the late 1500s. There are even three Joel du Pire's, though they are all demonstrably distinct from the Joel de Lespiere of Hatfield Chase and later Thorney. However, given the prominence of the name Joel, and the rough equivalence of the surnames, my bet would be that the Canterbury family were close cousins to my ancestor Joel de Lespiere.

Good work, in any case. It's nice to have someone confirm what I've examined, and indeed post it for others to others to view.

Offline keith110639

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 19 February 23 09:34 GMT (UK) »
Thanks alexreg, very interesting reply thank you, I will look for that book, & thanks to everone for replies, the one who was lost in the storm of 1880 was a crewman on my Gt Grandfathers ketch Breeze, when he went overboard in a colision with a Brig in the Humber mouth his dog seeing him in the water jumped in after him and they both drowned.
Keith

Offline alexreg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 19 February 23 15:16 GMT (UK) »
Thanks alexreg, very interesting reply thank you, I will look for that book, & thanks to everone for replies, the one who was lost in the storm of 1880 was a crewman on my Gt Grandfathers ketch Breeze, when he went overboard in a colision with a Brig in the Humber mouth his dog seeing him in the water jumped in after him and they both drowned.
Keith

Glad to be of help. Interesting to hear about this tragic incident... I didn't know it was a collision in the Humber.

Offline keith110639

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 19 February 23 16:39 GMT (UK) »
Alexreg, The Brig went ashore at Mablethorpe & the Breeze lost both masts but kept afloat until towed into Grimsby, Keith
PS I have ordered a copy of the book

Offline alexreg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 19 February 23 22:17 GMT (UK) »
Alexreg, The Brig went ashore at Mablethorpe & the Breeze lost both masts but kept afloat until towed into Grimsby, Keith
PS I have ordered a copy of the book

Hi Keith. That's interesting, thanks for the info.

I'm sure you'll enjoy the book. And feel free to ask if you have questions about the Depear's, either now or later.

Alex