Author Topic: Diary Summary Week Ending 31 July  (Read 5128 times)

Offline candleflame

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Diary Summary Week Ending 31 July
« Reply #45 on: Thursday 28 July 22 08:57 BST (UK) »
That sounds great Radstockjeff and the vintage brass concept too. Which instrument do you play? I've always fancied learning a brass instrument and know I wouldn't want to do trombone but no idea other than that. Can slightly vintage folk learn a brass instrument in older age do you know ? I bought myself a clarinet when I was in my 40's and learnt a bit , but then my tutor moved away so I haven't done anything much since then  . The man I was going to ask to be a new tutor then became ill and subsequently died so that was hard - he was brilliant .
I used to play violin as a child and was reasonable but decided when I bought the clarinet that I wasn't going to play violin again and try and join an older orchestra so I sold it. ( I tried playing my violin and wasn't happy with my efforts and didn't think others would appreciate them either , hence deciding to sell it )
North East of England

Offline radstockjeff

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Thursday 28 July 22 09:21 BST (UK) »
I play the trombone. I think all our players started when they were young, and some of them had a Salvation Army background, so learning to play a brass instrument was second nature. One of our members who sadly died last year was a later starter, well into his sixties, so there is hope.

Whilst we do not play "out" very often, it is the fellowship of like minded musicians meeting regularly to practise together which is so enjoyable.
Nurse, Musther, Smith, Julnes, Rogers, Parsons,Grieves(Greaves,Greeves),Wood,Cray,Scrine,Shellard,Greenstock,

There's nothing wrong with being mediocre...as long as you're good at it!

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Thursday 28 July 22 12:57 BST (UK) »

The Jubilee Sovreign

"On Jub'lee day the Ramsbottoms, asked all their relations to tea, including young Albert's grandmother, an awkward old party was she; she'd seen Queen Victoria's Jub'lee and 'er wedding to Albert the Good, and she got quite upset when young Albert, asked 'er 'ow she'd got on in the flood!

I don't know that one. It reminds me of when I asked my grandma, born near the end of Queen Victoria's reign, if she'd ever met Adam and Eve. We lived near Edenfield village, it was obvious to four-year-old me that the Garden of Eden must have been in the locality.
Cowban

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Thursday 28 July 22 15:42 BST (UK) »
Went to visit the twins on Tuesday and had a fun afternoon with them.   During this time they were continually bringing their many books to me to go through with them.

Learnt on Sunday that my b-in-law has COVID and today my sister says she now has it too.   I was wondering how she was going to be able to avoid it.   First time for both of them.   B-in-law has a chronic chest condition and is at hospital today to have intravenous meds. which will take around 2 hours.   You think you are doing everything right and then, wham, it catches up with you.

My downstairs neighbour woke up to no power yesterday as did another tenant.   Mine was okay.   Men duly arrived, dug a huge hole, closed off section of the road.   Then, around 11pm, with no warning, they removed the power from our block of 10 flats.   Another lot of men had arrived, generator going, floodlights, etc. but some warning of turn-off would have been nice.   I was on my PC at the time in the study with nothing to hand.   Floundering around in the dark until I could find my torch and then light some candles.   I went out and spoke to them asking how long before power would be restored.   Two to three hours!    Because of the noise I couldn't sleep so read for quite a while on my tablet and then, around 2am, power was back on.   What with lights, etc. coming back on it was like there was fireworks in the flat.

Today there has been no-one there at all - hole still there.   Just hoping they won't be back later tonight and turn everything off again.   My torch will be with me at all times tonight that's for sure.

Annette 
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Thursday 28 July 22 17:06 BST (UK) »
Pleased  to  hear the twins are doing OK,  they  must  be  such  fun

In this house there is never a touch nearby when  needed  but I do know where  the candles are,   not sure about the matchess, I would be floundering   about, ought to get them together just in  case

My neighbour has just got over covid, 2weeks, her husband is ok   but my other 2 friends have just returned from abroad and they have got it now, it really is worrying, I wear  my mask when  needed   

Not so warm but it is most welcome

Hope everyone is OK

LM

Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Thursday 28 July 22 18:35 BST (UK) »
just in case anyone didnt know there is a torch function on most smart phones
i didnt discover that so maybe spme of you didnt know either ,
safer than candles

Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Online DianaCanada

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Thursday 28 July 22 18:46 BST (UK) »
We have a flashlight/torch that is permanently plugged into an outlet in my office. Constantly charged and we always know where it is!  I have used my non-smart phone as a flashlight occasionally.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Thursday 28 July 22 19:44 BST (UK) »
I have battery powered small lights (recommended for sheds and cupboards) and lanterns. Also a torch with adjustable head & broad base which can be used as a lamp.
Cowban

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Thursday 28 July 22 21:01 BST (UK) »
Bad news here today!
Price of milk has increased :o
Up from £1.15p per litre to £1.35p.

Price set by IOM Government, and applies to all outlets.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)