Author Topic: THOMAS NOAKES Benenden burial 1688ish ?  (Read 5187 times)

Offline suecee

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
THOMAS NOAKES Benenden burial 1688ish ?
« on: Monday 25 July 22 11:00 BST (UK) »
I have two birth dates and baptisms for a THOMAS NOAKES f. THOMAS in Benenden taken from transcripts on a KentFHS CD.

born 24 Dec 1687, bap. 9 Jan 1688
born 21 Feb 1691, bap. 29 Mar 1691

I am assuming that the first Thomas died before 1691 but cannot find a burial for him.
Every tree on Ancestry has Thomas Noakes as being born in 1687 as that is the only baptism listed on Ancestry.

Can anyone verify the 1691 baptism for me and/or find a burial for the 1687 Thomas. Previous and later children were born in Benenden so I would assume any burial would be there.

Many thanks.

Blunden, Tate, Badslade, Pennicott, Fairbairn (Surrey) Bird (Surrey and Middlesex) Scales, Phillippo, Banham, Franklin (Norfolk) Bond, Miles (Oxfordshire) Webb (Worcestershire) Floyd, Drury (Kent) Clifton, Cane, Tester, Floyd (Sussex)

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: THOMAS NOAKES Benenden burial 1688ish ?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 25 July 22 11:06 BST (UK) »
The 9th January baptism looks more like Thomas son of James (& Susan) - image on FindMyPast
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 25 July 22 11:08 BST (UK) »
Sorry I had posted the wrong information on the other baptism - start again  ;D

Transcript has Thomas son of James & Susan born 21 Feb 1691 bapt 29 March 1691 St George, Benenden

IMAGE - There is no baptism on 29th March for a Noakes/Nokes child though there is one on 16th March for a James son of James & Susan born February 20th
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 25 July 22 11:18 BST (UK) »
Hi
Had a look at the 1691 one and it is brother James not Thomas son of James and Susan.
The indexer has mixed it up with the next entry for Thomas Hunt.
So only one son Thomas Noakes ,the one 1688

Ciderdrinker

Offline suecee

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 25 July 22 12:20 BST (UK) »
Oops  ;D I meant f. JAMES and m. SUSANNAH (Had Thomas on the brain)

So you are saying between you that there is

Thomas s. of James and Susan bap. 9 Jan 1688

and

James s. of James and Susan bap. 16 Mar 1691

James is a surprise as neither Henry nor his brother John mention a brother James in their wills of 1741 and 1772 respectively.
Looks like James died in 1719 so that’s not surprising.
But now I see there may be a Richard 1700 too - more food for thought.

Thanks to both of you ☺️

Blunden, Tate, Badslade, Pennicott, Fairbairn (Surrey) Bird (Surrey and Middlesex) Scales, Phillippo, Banham, Franklin (Norfolk) Bond, Miles (Oxfordshire) Webb (Worcestershire) Floyd, Drury (Kent) Clifton, Cane, Tester, Floyd (Sussex)

Offline melba_schmelba

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 28 July 22 17:04 BST (UK) »
Oops  ;D I meant f. JAMES and m. SUSANNAH (Had Thomas on the brain)

So you are saying between you that there is

Thomas s. of James and Susan bap. 9 Jan 1688

and

James s. of James and Susan bap. 16 Mar 1691

James is a surprise as neither Henry nor his brother John mention a brother James in their wills of 1741 and 1772 respectively.
Looks like James died in 1719 so that’s not surprising.
But now I see there may be a Richard 1700 too - more food for thought.

Thanks to both of you ☺️
It wouldn't be that common for people to mention siblings unless the person making the will were childless, or the sibling in question was disabled or perhaps a poor widow or widower with lots of children to care for. Also the brother James could well have been dead by the time the siblings died. James Noakes of Benenden left a will, made 1722 and proved in 1727 at the Archdeaconry Court of Canterbury as you can see below:

Will   Noakes   James   Benenden   1722   1727   PRC/17/86/44b   PRC/16/388 N/2 1727

https://wills.canterbury-cathedral.org/

Canterbury and Kent Archives at Maidstone hold microfilms of the original and register copies, Maidstone also holds the originals if they survive, but are not usually available for inspection unless the microfilm is illegible.

Offline suecee

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 28 July 22 20:33 BST (UK) »
Thanks melba_schmelba

The James Noakes who died in 1727 was the father of all the brothers. He was the innkeeper of the Bull Hotel, Benenden and his son Henry took over when he died.

John Noakes who died in 1772 only had the one son John but had such a large estate he was able to be very generous to all the children of his siblings.

I am guessing that the 1719 burial in Benenden must have been the son James.

Online bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 29 July 22 17:18 BST (UK) »
Kentish Memorial inscriptions can be really helpful but it doesn't seem that the Noakes family have any known burial location.

http://burials.benendenchurch.org/index2.htm
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline suecee

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 01 August 22 16:27 BST (UK) »
Thanks Bearkat, the Noakes are difficult to trace from birth to death as few of mine seem to stay in one place for much more than one generation and then disappear well out of area to marry.

I suspect there are missing parish records especially for the Benenden/Lamberhurst area. It doesn’t help that they move across to Ticehurst when there are already Noakes in the Ticehurst/Burwash area - and so many are called John or Thomas.  ???