Author Topic: The September Covid Jab  (Read 12035 times)

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: The September Covid Jab
« Reply #63 on: Wednesday 14 September 22 15:27 BST (UK) »
Hello Gadget, hope Ur well, getting the Flu & Covid jags a week on Friday! ;D

Skoosh.

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Wednesday 14 September 22 17:47 BST (UK) »
I get my covid booster next Wednesday, not heard about the Flu jab yet
Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Wednesday 14 September 22 18:17 BST (UK) »
While I was waiting for the jab/jag, I had a text from my GP Practice to ask me to phone to make appointment for the flu jab!

PS - my arm is more sore/achy  this time but I was warned by one of the attendants - not enough to take paracetamol though.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Saturday 17 September 22 09:12 BST (UK) »
Yes I got a message yesterday, it makes me wonder if our doctors are being informend when we have made an appointment for our covid jab
Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Saturday 17 September 22 10:39 BST (UK) »
We had text messages earlier this week from NHS inviting us to go to a nearby walk-in Covid vaccination centre.  Since our GP's had invited us to attend their Flu clinic, but had said that we might also be able to get the Covid jab at the same time "if stocks last", we thought we'd play safe and get the Covid jab straight away.  The centre also serves the nearby city, so it was pretty busy, both with those who had an actual timed appointment and those who, like us, had just walked in.  There were separate queues and also a queue for disabled people, but the whole system was very efficient and we spent about half an hour waiting, so not bad at all.  Our flu jab appointment isn't till October 1st, so plenty of time between the two.

Neither of us had any reaction to the jab.  The doctor/nurse who gave it was so efficient that we didn't even feel the "sharp scratch" of the needle going in.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline John915

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Saturday 17 September 22 10:51 BST (UK) »
Good morning,

I just received a text saying I was eligible for the flu jab, ignored that as i've never had one and only had flu once in 72 years.

Two days later got a text inviting me to have my covid booster, that's now booked for 5th oct.

If I remember correctly, all vaccinations are given by injection bar two. One used to be given cutaneously, the little prickly pad that was dabbed just into the skin for MMR?

The other of course you will all remember, the sugar cube doctored with drops of polio vaccine. I used to administer these as a regtl medic back in the 70s. But for the polio one we dispensed with the sugar cube and just put the drops straight on the tongue. We had a few blokes who couldn't/wouldn't keep their tongues out. We used to keep a 100ml syringe full of water with a 5in stainless steel spinal tap on it. For those who gave us problems we uncovered it and said "drop your trousers and bend over". Surprisingly they stuck their tongues out.

John915
Stephens, Fuller, Tedham, Bennett, Ransome (Sussex)
Rider (Fulham)
Stephens (Somerset)
Kentfield (Essex)

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: Saturday 17 September 22 11:37 BST (UK) »
Yes I got a message yesterday, it makes me wonder if our doctors are being informend when we have made an appointment for our covid jab

I suspect it might vary from one place to another. I had a call from the GP a few days ago inviting me to go for a flu jab, but I turned it down as I've already booked one at a pharmacy. I'm at that awkward age where I qualify for a flu jab, but not quite yet for the Covid booster (I checked on the NHS booking site), so in my case at least the flu jab invite had nothing to do with the Covid one.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: Saturday 17 September 22 12:36 BST (UK) »
I was at our surgery a week ago and asked re the seasonal jabs.
I was told it would be soon but that if we wanted we could go to a pharmacy for the flu jab- ‘the surgery just wouldn’t get the money’.

We then received NHS texts and emails re the Covid booster so booked that locally. There were plenty of appointments to choose from and no queue when we got there.

I must say, this latest one was the most uncomfortable reaction with pain and stiffness in my arm, plus headache and general malaise. However it only lasted 24 hours and am fine now  :)

Five vaccinations in less than two years seems a lot though.  :-\
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: Saturday 17 September 22 16:53 BST (UK) »
My blue envelope with COVID booster appointment arrived yesterday, 2 months earlier than I expected. Appointment is for 2nd week in October at a mass vaccination centre. The letter informed me that I can also have a flu booster at the same time, if I wish. I'm in Scotland.

I just received a text saying I was eligible for the flu jab, ignored that as i've never had one and only had flu once in 72 years.

A few things to consider regarding flu vaccination.
The "herd immunity" to influenza may have diminished during the past 3 years when most of the population were hardly exposed to the 'flu virus because of limited social interaction and extra hygiene.
You own natural immunity may have diminished.
We may be due a more virulent or more infectious 'flu strain.
Cowban