Author Topic: Mordant  (Read 1804 times)

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
Re: Mordant
« Reply #36 on: Friday 29 July 22 14:37 BST (UK) »
Several Mordaunt of Ballintlea memorial inscriptions

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01rpx/
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Friday 29 July 22 16:32 BST (UK) »
Yes , of course, I realise that.
Here is Michael of Clone with father Denis.

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1869/11442/8203186.pdf

However, we are digressing.

I think I can say that the Denis Mordaunt  living near Monamolin was not OP's relative or ancestor, unless there has been a massive memory loss in the family.

For the same holding that Denis held in 1852, in 1846 we see Denis crossed out, and Admiral Francis Mordaunt written in.
http://census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/vob/IRE_CENSUS_1821-51_007246842_00530.pdf

Just to clarify this.

I think it reads Admiral Francis … and is continued in the indecipherable writing - ‘..tton’.
Mordant is struck through for Denis and Mordaunt written as the correction.
Two separate entries.

Looking at Griffiths for Dennis in Clone - the lessor is Francis V Hatton. (Various references and biographies elsewhere).

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Friday 29 July 22 20:10 BST (UK) »

Just to clarify this.

I think it reads Admiral Francis … and is continued in the indecipherable writing - ‘..tton’.
Mordant is struck through for Denis and Mordaunt written as the correction.
Two separate entries.

You are correct.

I thought "Denis" was also struck through. But on second look, it seems to be an artifact of the way Denis was originally written, plus the diagonal lines through.

BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area