Author Topic: Missing names in baptism records  (Read 8126 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Missing names in baptism records
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 27 July 22 12:30 BST (UK) »
Perhaps he forgot the child's name or parents hadn't yet selected child's Christian name.
Out of sheer curiosity, can a Christian baptism be performed by the rites of any church without bestowing a name on the child?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Online aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 27 July 22 12:51 BST (UK) »
Perhaps he forgot the child's name or parents hadn't yet selected child's Christian name.
Out of sheer curiosity, can a Christian baptism be performed by the rites of any church without bestowing a name on the child?

Yes.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline ISLINGTON1884

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 27 July 22 13:31 BST (UK) »
I know nothing to do with your baptism query however I found out after a long time researching that my G Grandfathers father on his marriage certificate was not his father and my G Grandfather made the name up.I was told sometimes names were made up so the form does not get left blank. He used his own name and there was a middle name stuck in there and that confusd things for me for a very long time.
I am nowhere up on some of the members on here they are all fantastic. I thought I would let you
 what happened in my case and I know important things do  and have been left out of records as you can see on your query.My query was only resolved by a DNA test and then I confirmed this with other records.
MARIA

Offline zumaro

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 30 July 22 01:54 BST (UK) »
Thanks everyone.  I had seen cases of apparent double baptisms before, which I understand were frowned upon by at least the church in England, and these were usually a case of a private baptism at home, followed by a public church one. But in these cases names were recorded at the time. But then again I have other cases of names not recorded at the time of baptism, both in America and New Zealand, where the child most definitely survived (includes my 2x great grandmother).  So I guess these irregular cases definitely exist.
Smith: East Lothian, Scotland
Mack: Berwick, Scotland
Fell: Yorkshire, England
Smeeton: Leicester, England
Haigh: Marsden, Yorkshire, England
Sullivan: Kerry, Ireland