Author Topic: Promising baptism  (Read 262 times)

Offline Annie65115

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • HOLYLAND regd with guild of one name studies
    • View Profile
Promising baptism
« on: Thursday 28 July 22 19:01 BST (UK) »
I've come across two baptisms on the same page of a church register (1798 - 1800) which have the word "promising" infront of the child's name, then the rest recorded as per all the others. Hopefully the image will show on the attachment - it's the first and last entries on the snip.

Anyway, I haven't come across this before. I wondered if it might be that the children underwent a private baptism?

Bradbury (Sedgeley, Bilston, Warrington)
Cooper (Sedgeley, Bilston)
Kilner/Kilmer (Leic, Notts)
Greenfield (Liverpool)
Holyland (Anywhere and everywhere, also Holiland Holliland Hollyland)
Pryce/Price (Welshpool, Liverpool)
Rawson (Leicester)
Upton (Desford, Leics)
Partrick (Vera and George, Leicester)
Marshall (Westmorland, Cheshire/Leicester)

Online arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Promising baptism
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 28 July 22 19:36 BST (UK) »
I haven't come across the phrase before, but I think your interpretation is correct. After a private (emergency) baptism, if the child lives the expectation is that he/she will be brought to church and the godparents make the promises that they would have made if it had been a public baptism:

https://www.churchofengland.org/prayer-and-worship/worship-texts-and-resources/book-common-prayer/private-baptism-infants

The private baptisms should also be recorded, though in the first instance here, as the date is out of order, it may be that the minister made a single entry to refer to both.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk