Author Topic: early 20th century adoptions  (Read 265 times)

Offline Celtic Damsel

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
early 20th century adoptions
« on: Saturday 30 July 22 12:41 BST (UK) »
Hi All I wonder if anyone knows if there are records for adoptions in Ireland for the late 19th and early 20th century or is that just a silly question given the times they were? thanks
O'Brien, Dublin, Kavanagh, Dublin, Owens, Dublin and Wales, Gibbs, London and Kent, Hill, London and Cork, Goldfinch, London and Kent, Connelly, Dublin

Offline Stanwix England

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Hopeless scatterbrain
    • View Profile
Re: early 20th century adoptions
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 30 July 22 13:01 BST (UK) »
This explains it quite well.

Basically, adoption was not done in a legal manner in Ireland before 1952.

https://ggi2013.blogspot.com/p/classmsonormal-this-section-is-relevant.html

As the blog says

A brief history
Ireland has a long history of “informal” adoptions prior to the passing of the 1952 Adoption Bill. These continued even after the passing of the legislation and were therefore technically illegal adoptions (e.g. birth certificates being forged to list the adoptive parents as the natural parents).  In these latter cases, and in cases prior to 1952, there is no “Non-identifying Information” available for adoptees and DNA may be their only recourse to help identify their birth families.
;D Doing my best, but frequently wrong ;D
:-* My thanks to everyone who helps me, you are all marvellous :-*

Offline Celtic Damsel

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 30 July 22 13:16 BST (UK) »
thank you for that not much hope for my mystery man so lol

This explains it quite well.

Basically, adoption was not done in a legal manner in Ireland before 1952.

https://ggi2013.blogspot.com/p/classmsonormal-this-section-is-relevant.html

As the blog says

A brief history
Ireland has a long history of “informal” adoptions prior to the passing of the 1952 Adoption Bill. These continued even after the passing of the legislation and were therefore technically illegal adoptions (e.g. birth certificates being forged to list the adoptive parents as the natural parents).  In these latter cases, and in cases prior to 1952, there is no “Non-identifying Information” available for adoptees and DNA may be their only recourse to help identify their birth families.

O'Brien, Dublin, Kavanagh, Dublin, Owens, Dublin and Wales, Gibbs, London and Kent, Hill, London and Cork, Goldfinch, London and Kent, Connelly, Dublin

Offline Stanwix England

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Hopeless scatterbrain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 30 July 22 13:25 BST (UK) »
You might be lucky and be able to work it out some other way. Rootschatters are really good at finding additional information, so if you share him on here in the appropriate forum, they might be able to find clues.
;D Doing my best, but frequently wrong ;D
:-* My thanks to everyone who helps me, you are all marvellous :-*

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo