Author Topic: John Faulkner born Scotland 1840 to George faulkner and Elizabeth galleymore Com  (Read 259 times)

Offline queenswood 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Can anyone help me solve a riddle!

George faulkner married elizabeth Galleymore in Manchester on 8th June 1840 Manchester.
george was born in Lancashire and Elizabeth was born in Cheshire- but she sems to have married away from her imediate family who stayed in Cheshire for the duration of their lives!
Curiously in the 1841 census- George and Elizabeth are now married and living back in Cheshire with son john aged 0 and stated as born in Scotland.
This is the only time that George and Elizabeth show their son John as born in Scotland, close to the time of their marriage.
In later censuses John is always shown as being born in Mere Cheshire- the same as his mother Elizabeth.
I am beginning to wonder if George and Elizabeth eloped to Scotland before returning to England to raise the family- any clues or ideas? Or did they marry in Scotland before the birth of John and then married again in Manchester 1840 to 'make the marriage legal'?
Any ideas please! On the marriage cert for June 1840 they both declare their place of residence to simply be Manchester.
Any ideas most welcome!
Roots/Day/Atkins - (Essex/Suffolk/ London)Bourne/Milner/Corden-(Staffs/Shrops/Cheshire)
Wood/Gibbs/Battrick/Fall/Budden-(Dorset)

Offline Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Faulkner born Scotland 1840 to George faulkner and Elizabeth galleymore
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 31 July 22 09:16 BST (UK) »
Have you seen the birth in the groindex for a John Thomas Faulkner Jan - March 1841 in Altrincham RD with the mother's maiden name of Galleymore?

William

Added: Having looked at the 1841 census I am not convinced that the squiggle in the whether born in county column for John is an S for Scotland. Moreover it is the wrong column for a Scottish birth. There is a similar squiggle lower down the page and those at the top of the page in the whether born in county column are also different.
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John Faulkner born Scotland 1840 to George faulkner and Elizabeth galleymore
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 31 July 22 10:55 BST (UK) »
I see that there's a  Sarah Booth, 42, FS. with the same mark.  Also, the first 6 entries on the page have similar marks.

I followed the Burgess family in the previous entries (4-7 entries) and found that they were all b. Cheshire on the 1851. I'm not sure what the mark is but  I don't think it's an S for Scotland. It could be a ?/don't know/not recorded. As William says, it's not in the correct column.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 31 July 22 11:03 BST (UK) »
Also, a few pages earlier: 
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline queenswood 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Thank you all so much for your help - I can only apologise that I missed the birth on the Altrincham Reg for Mar 1841- and have amended the possible Scottish connection! Mny many thanks to you all once again.
Roots/Day/Atkins - (Essex/Suffolk/ London)Bourne/Milner/Corden-(Staffs/Shrops/Cheshire)
Wood/Gibbs/Battrick/Fall/Budden-(Dorset)

Offline LMills789

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Faulkner born Scotland 1840 to George faulkner and Elizabeth galleymore Com
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 24 December 23 10:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi Queenswood,

Earlier today I noticed this post regarding Galleymore and Faulkner. I'm descended from George and Elizabeth - they are my 4th great-grandparents and would like to investigate this line further.

It's interesting you mention Scotland because it appears Faulkner and Galleymore do indeed have a Scottish connection.

I hope to hear from you soon,

Lee.