Author Topic: Primary School near Pittenzie Street, Crieff in 1911  (Read 568 times)

Offline specialkg

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Primary School near Pittenzie Street, Crieff in 1911
« on: Sunday 31 July 22 13:30 BST (UK) »

I am trying to find the most likely primary School that an Isabella Marr born in 1901 went to in 1911. I have found her living with her parents in the 1911 Census. The address looks like Southview Drive, Crieff. It was near Pittenzie Street.
By 1915 she is enrolled in a school in Moray. Her mother died in 1915. No sign of father.

In a round about way I am trying to find what happened to Isabella’s father Alexander Marr who disappeared after the 1911 census. Rumour has it that he died in a quarry accident but I have been unable to prove this. He was a Setmaker.

If I could find Isabella’s school records it might tell us when and why they left Crieff.

I have done a lot of research on trying to find Alexander but any suggestions would be much appreciated.
Betty

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Primary School near Pittenzie Street, Crieff in 1911
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 31 July 22 13:58 BST (UK) »
What does it say about Alexander on his wife's death certificate?

Offline specialkg

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 31 July 22 14:52 BST (UK) »
Her Death was registered by her brother who lived in Morayshire and states present at time of death. It does mention her husband under her name but does not say deceased. Which would usually indicate still alive.

Thanks for your reply.
Betty

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 01 August 22 04:21 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find the most likely primary School that an Isabella Marr born in 1901 went to in 1911. I have found her living with her parents in the 1911 Census. The address looks like Southview Drive, Crieff. It was near Pittenzie Street.
By 1915 she is enrolled in a school in Moray. Her mother died in 1915. No sign of father.
Can I ask, why, if the family were at Southview Drive, have you given the school as being near Pittenzie Street rather than near Southview Drive?

Can you post a snip of the 'Southview Drive' address for us to have a look at as I couldn't find any ref. to it on the VRs?

What was the PoB & occ. of Alexander on Isabella's birth & in 1911 which may help answer why the family moved?

Marr isn't a Perthshire name, not to say he wasn't born there but the family may have only been in Crieff for a short time?

Was Isabella an only child?

Did she marry, if so, what info. was given about her father?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline specialkg

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 01 August 22 09:05 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your reply.
At the moment I cannot supply a copy of the 1911 census. Technical problems. I chose Pittenzie Street as I could read it. I was not sure it was Southview Drive. It is between Pittenzie Street and Cottage Hospital on the census. I do not have Alexander’s DOB but he was 40 in the 1911 census and born Aberdeenshire. His occupation is Quarryman (Whinstone). There were four daughters but I chose Isabella who was born on 3rd October 1901. There was a younger daughter Alexandra born 3rd July 1904. I maybe should have chosen her as the period I am looking at is between the census in 1911 where they are in Crieff and 1915 when they are in Moray. Perhaps they came north because the mother was ill but it does not explain where Alexander is and when he died.
Thanks
Betty

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 01 August 22 14:23 BST (UK) »
Was Alexander alive/deceased on any of the marriages of the children which would give some sort of time frame?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline specialkg

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 01 August 22 15:34 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your reply.
I have the marriage of two of the daughters. Jessie in August 1918 and Alexandra in 1924 both state father deceased.
Betty

Offline bleckie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 01 August 22 16:13 BST (UK) »
Hi All

The school may  have been Taylors institution.
https://canmore.org.uk/site/163691/crieff-perth-road-taylors-institute-british-legion-hall
Yours Aye
BruceL

Offline specialkg

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 01 August 22 16:28 BST (UK) »
Thanks Bruce for the information. I wonder if school records in the Crieff area are accessible anywhere. I know some school records are on fiche for some Elgin schools. I maybe need to find that out first before I pursue this side of research.
Betty