Author Topic: San Francisco 1851  (Read 3431 times)

Offline Foehn

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
San Francisco 1851
« on: Monday 01 August 22 12:59 BST (UK) »
"Camilla began formal Education in 1851  San Francisco,  St. Vincent's School, Jessie St. (A Catholic School)" I'd like to find out if records still exist for this school,
I am still trying to solve the mystery of the disappearance of Mary Georgina (aka Georgiana) Scott
The statement above could be linked  as it is known that Mary Georgina was looking after her niece Camilla Beverley Scott Sampson, of the voyage aboard "Pilgrim" from Auckland NZ  to San Francisco 1849-50. The GB registered barque, Pilgrim arrived in San Francisco 4 February 1850 after 77 days from Auckland NZ
I see Jessie street San Francisco still exists, but does the Catholic School and if so where is it now? It's a bit of a longshot, but any clues to be found may help narrow when Mary Georgina died.
In 1860 she was under the guardianship of her father's friend John Deardorff.
 1860 at Age: 14, Camilla lived with her father's friend, John Deardorff, and John's wife Mary. In her father's will,(1861)  he left custody of Camilla to the Deardorffs until she married or reached age 23.
Further Education
IN 1862   Camilla was in Benicia, Solano, California, USA
She graduated Benicia Young Ladies Seminary (later the first site of Mills College).

Offline hepburn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: San Francisco 1851
« Reply #1 on: Monday 01 August 22 14:52 BST (UK) »
https://www.rootschat.com/links/01rq5/

Some info on the Sisters who started the school in jesse street.
stoke on trent. carson,wain,leese,shaw,key,scalley,mitchell,<br />james,<br /> nottingham,pollard,grice,<br />derbyshire,vallands,turton,howe.<br /> new zealand,turton<br /> canada,carson.<br />australia,mitchell,scalley,<br />

Offline RJ137

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 01 August 22 15:33 BST (UK) »
Events for this family seem to center around the Marysville area.

1860 census: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MDKX-D99

Find A Grave: https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/79449469/camilla-beverly_scott-klein

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 01 August 22 18:50 BST (UK) »
first few images of William H Sampson's will
[Thomas Steward was the administrator]

To the Honorable the probate judge of the County of Yuba

'Thomas Seward, a resident of said county says that on the 29th of November 1865 William H Sampson at his residence in Yuba Conty departed this life leaving real and personal estate in said county. and having no will.'
'value of real estate, etc.'

"that the deceased was unmarried and left no children of his own and that the only heirs at law [who reside in?] in the United States are Camilla B Sampson and Charles C Sampson children of Charles B Sampson, deceased, and brother of said William H Sampson deceased. That the said Camilla B Sampson was nineteen years old on the first day of September 1864 and that said Charles C Sampson was six? years old on the 29th day of August 1864 and they both reside in said county of Yuba."

'Camilla waived her right to adminster the estate'
'Camilla says she and her brother are the only heirs at law of the estate now in the United States'

signed December 1st/[18]64 Camilla B Sampson

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 01 August 22 19:43 BST (UK) »
parts of John Sampson's will
William H Sampson, administrator
inventory filed November 3, 1851
other papers filed July 29, 1852, filed January 24, 1853, filed December 20, 1854

-----------------
petition of William H Sampson and Charles B Sampson on application for the estate or the residue thereof after the payment of debts of said John Sampson or such share thereof as they may respectively be entitled to as the heirs and next of kin of said John Sampson deceased

The said petitioners show that "John Sampson died intestate leaving him surviving the said William H Sampson and Charles B Sampson his brothers, Anna Sampson his mother and Charlotte Harriet Collet, Sarah Horton, Anna Maria Wormald, Augusta Sampson, and Ellen Davies his sisters as his next relatives."

'that when John died, William H and Charles B were living in Yuba County and all the sisters were born in Great Britain and continue to reside there.'
[signed by the attorney for the petitioners. I can't read his name. it is not dated]

----------------
Charlotte H Collet, Sarah Horton, and Anna Maria Wormald petition for a distribution of the estate
November 24, 1851

It looks like those three sisters didn't go along with it and appealed.
December 20, 1851

------------------
W H Sampson authorized to receive money
Marysville, October 15, 1850
signed J M Ramirez
[I can't really read the partner's surname on this, but other papers say Ramirez]

-----------
another document in the file says John Sampson died at San Jose. It gives another list of relatives but no Georgiana this time either.

----------
Estate: $94712.85 of which $57535 was in real estate. that the real estate was delivered into W H and C B Sampson by order of the court on 8 January 1851.

---------------
[this was interesting. Sutter is well known.]
'Captain John Sutter is a material witness in the matter of something to do with the partnership. lives outside the county'
'we'll take a deposition from John A Sutter'
signed 14 July 1852, Henry P [?] County judge

interesting deposition, it sounds like John Sampson and Mr Ramirez bought the land where Marysville is from John Sutter. I might be wrong, I have trouble figuring out legal documents.

---------------
lots more here, I was looking for John's date of death but haven't found it yet. The earliest date I saw in the file so far was October 15, 1850

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 01 August 22 19:46 BST (UK) »
So did Mary Georgiana (Sampson) Scott survive her brother John? I would guess not. Her other married sisters were named, so being married didn't leave her out.
Maybe they didn't know where she was, but I think they would have had to account for that and allow the possibility of her showing up and claiming her share.
If she had children, would they have been heirs? I have absolutely no idea, but I would lean toward yes.

Offline RJ137

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 01 August 22 20:48 BST (UK) »

lots more here, I was looking for John's date of death but haven't found it yet. The earliest date I saw in the file so far was October 15, 1850

Weekly California Express
Saturday, Apr 02, 1859
Marysville, CA
Page: 2

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 01 August 22 22:53 BST (UK) »
an earlier post about the family, before Foehn located the date of arrival:
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=809170.0

Offline oldohiohome