Author Topic: Requesting help to read date on Daly family headstone  (Read 17389 times)

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
Re: Requesting help to read date on Daly family headstone
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 04 August 22 18:34 BST (UK) »

IHS is the central charge of the Jesuit arms, and was a leading symbol of the counter-reformation.

With a sun behind IHS.

Quite. And with three nails. But that is why I specified "central charge".
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 04 August 22 18:41 BST (UK) »
Further to the use of the IHS monogram, I was inspired to traipse around the local CofI graveyard this afternoon.

Several hundred memorials. From those to 300+ who managed to get themselves killed under the "Illustrious Wellington", down to those of today.

Not a single IHS to be seen, and I walked the entire graveyard.
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 06 August 22 00:19 BST (UK) »
In the recent times of the 1880s in NZ we have town/city cemeteries and very few church cemeteries.  My gt grandmother would have been classed in NZ as high-ish Anglican.

Her stone does not have the cross in it, only the letters and below that the lilies.  I don't think I have seen the cross in it and if I have I have not thought it was a part of the IHS. 
NZ Anglicans have an empty cross, ie no actual figure to signify 'he is risen'.  RC in NZ have a cross with a sculpture signifying Jesus. 

https://www.episcopalchurch.org/glossary/ihs/

What is the meaning of IHS in Anglican Church?
a contraction derived from the Greek word ΙΗΣΟΥΣ, Jesus, used as a symbol or monogram: later misunderstood as a Latin abbreviation I.H.S. and expanded variously as Iesus Hominum Salvator, Jesus, Savior of Men; In Hoc Signo (Vinces), in this sign (thou shalt conquer); In Hac (Cruce) Salus, in this (cross) salvation.
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01rqo/

Well I have learned something.  I think the lack of the cross running through it takes it from rebellious to commonplace in Anglican.  It is often carved in gothic type writing within a circle but no cross.

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 06 August 22 07:03 BST (UK) »
To return to the original query, I believe 12th February 1739, Old Style (Julian), corresponds to 23rd February, 1740, New Style (Gregorian)