Author Topic: Hall House Pytchley 1822  (Read 1086 times)

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Hall House Pytchley 1822
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 11 August 22 11:40 BST (UK) »
Nottingham Mercury, 9 Aug 1817
And on Saturday last, to the same gaol, by C.Hill, Esq, James Bellamy charged on suspicion of having stolen eight tame ducks from the premises of William Raggett, of Pytchley.

I think Bellamy served a fortnight sentence but his record doesn't identify the "premises" involved.

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 11 August 22 11:44 BST (UK) »
Northampton Mercury, 24 Aug 1811
Another auction
"On Thursday, 12th Day of September, at the Hall House of Mr J White, at Pytchley ..."

Offline queenswood 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 11 August 22 12:35 BST (UK) »
Thank you all so much- the picture is building! William Raggett never owned the hotel in Dover Street and was simply a Tenant Manager- and there is a history of repeated bankruptcy behind him so maybe he had big ideas but money management was not his forte!
It is interesting to note that a Mr J  White was resident at Hall House in 1811.
I wonder if it feasible for William Raggett to have run an inn as well as a smallholding at Hall House whilst he lived there.  The picture is growing and I would continue to be so grateful for any other snippets that may come to light!
Thank you all so much
Caroline
Roots/Day/Atkins - (Essex/Suffolk/ London)Bourne/Milner/Corden-(Staffs/Shrops/Cheshire)
Wood/Gibbs/Battrick/Fall/Budden-(Dorset)

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 11 August 22 14:44 BST (UK) »

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 11 August 22 14:51 BST (UK) »

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 11 August 22 15:29 BST (UK) »
Here's a highlight link to the information that hanes teulu has just posted:
https://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/northants/vol4/pp208-213#:~:text=marked%20its%20position.-,Pytchley%20Hall,-%2C%20of%20famous%20hunting

So the old house was used as a clubhouse by the Pytchley Hunt
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 11 August 22 17:20 BST (UK) »

So the old house was used as a clubhouse by the Pytchley Hunt
Was going to mention that since it popped up several times in the newspaper searches.

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 11 August 22 18:01 BST (UK) »
Northampton Mercury, 24 Aug 1811
Another auction
"On Thursday, 12th Day of September, at the Hall House of Mr J White, at Pytchley ..."

Northampton Mercury 04 February 1815

Inquest on the death of Ann White age 6 who died in a fire - "the  deceased was the daughter of Jonathan White who keeps the Pytchley Hunt House"

Kay

Offline queenswood 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 11 August 22 18:41 BST (UK) »
Thank you all so very much! The link with Ann White in the Dover Street Fire now def confirms that the William raggett  of Pytchley and Hall House is one and the same in the Dover street fire.

I am trying to trace William Raggett born to James and Mary raggett in Frensham at some point between 1782 and 1794- William Raggett of Dover Street meets the age criteria.
His father james was a shopkeeper and William's brothers all had good upper middle class/professional jobs- to a degree! One brothertravelled from Surrey to Jersey to help build the port walls at St helier before returning to weymouth as a renowned stone mason and adviser tothe government for the use of Portland Stone. Another brother stayed close to home but farmed 150 acres! They were enterprising and brave- so it is quite possible that this is our William who maybe decided to try his luck in London before moving to Pytchley- just need to make that final link now!

I now know there was a william raggett of the correct age that lived in Pytchley and was in the Dover Street Fire.

I already have his marriage in westminster to Ann baulcombe- and the birth of their first child in Middlesex before they move to Pytchley.

it now also makes sense that he classes himself as an innkeeper if the house he is living in (probably just renting) is being used as a clubhouse by the Pytchley Hunt.

I just need to establish that it is one and the same william that was born to James and Mary raggett in Frensham Surrey. I cannot find a baptism for him and I don't think there are any clues on the marriage to ann Baulcombe- unless anyone can find Banns or Licence documents!

Goodness me- I am starting to get hopeful!

Thank you all so very much!

Roots/Day/Atkins - (Essex/Suffolk/ London)Bourne/Milner/Corden-(Staffs/Shrops/Cheshire)
Wood/Gibbs/Battrick/Fall/Budden-(Dorset)