Author Topic: Richard Temple 1703 Administration  (Read 174 times)

Offline Stricklands

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Richard Temple 1703 Administration
« on: Wednesday 03 August 22 08:43 BST (UK) »
I am researching a Richard Temple and particularly his death in 1703.

From a published genealogical study in 1899 I have an entry stating

April 21st 1703.  Commission to Dame Mary Molesworth, widow, sister of Richard Temple, Ar., late a Captain in the Legion of the Hon Coll Columbine, bachelor, dec.

I have found military records showing that Temple joined Columbine's regiment and in 1702/3 probably died at sea in the West Indies.

In the appendix to the 1899 book there is a listing of "wills and administration of persons of the name of Temple, from 1383 to 1796, on file in Doctors' Commons, London, England" which shows an entry

1703  Richard Temple.  Parts beyond sea.  Admin.

My questions are:
I would like to confirm the administration record.  Reading around suggests that the "Doctors Commons" may be generic and may include records now in the National Archive.  In the TNA records I am led towards PROB 6/79 Administration Act Book for 1703, with 251 portfolios. 

Am I looking in the right place?
Would this show me anything useful beyond confirming what I have from the 1899 book?  For example are there any details of the contents or value of the estate in administration?  The NA guide also suggests that the entry may be in Latin, is this correct?

I am trying to decide whether or not it is worth the trip to TNA to look for the record.

Thank you for any guidance