Author Topic: John Anderson  (Read 676 times)

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John Anderson
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 04 August 22 03:39 BST (UK) »
Janet Anderson’s husband, Andrew Bower was a ploughman and a dock labourer.
If Janet had come from the family of a wealthy Jamaican plantation owner, would she have married a labourer? Perhaps if the family suddenly lost its wealth, or maybe Janet was a little inventive and exaggerated in her description of her father’s occupation. He might have been a plantation foreman / overseer, not an owner.

Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 04 August 22 08:08 BST (UK) »
On her Marriage Registration, the witnesses are Peter Anderson and Peter Anderson, both of Blairs Farm. In the 1851 Census, Peter Anderson is the Farmer of Blairs Farm, and there is no sign of Janet. A search shows that Peter was born to Robert Anderson and Margaret Graham in Beath, Fife.

Now Robert and Margaret had a son John, born in Beath in 1807, and I was wondering whether he is the father of Janet and that she was sent back to live with her uncle.
Charlie, I do think this is quite likely.
I have had a good look at this family of Robert Anderson and Margaret Graham. All their children are quite traceable through the Scottish BMD records and census - all except for John. His absence (apart from his marriage which would be good for you to get) could be explained because he emigrated.

It looks as if Peter Anderson was the sibling who was most financially secure, and therefore capable of taking care of a niece from Jamaica.
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline FifanC

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 16 August 22 15:43 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for the information.

Carole W
I have that marriage. John Anderson is a printer, with no indication of any connection.

Neale1961, mckha489 and Rosinish
I will have a close look at the Jamaican links, especially the baptism of a James Anderson mother Margaret Marshall.

Neale1961
Exaggeration had crossed my mind as well, but another reason for marrying Andrew Bower could be due to the fact that she gave birth to a daughter four months before the marriage. I don't know when she returned, so maybe sent back in disgrace.

Again, thanks for the posts

Charlie
Fife: Shepherd, Nellies, Beveridge, Litster, Simpson
Lanarkshire: Sorbie
WRY: Simpson, Brooksbank